Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2008, 11:43   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think Whoosh has given you some very valuable information there, n62. Indeed, it's thought-provoking and generic enough that many, many people on this Forum would be well-advised to consider his counsel.

You may have such deep roots in the Iowa community where you reside that this may not be practical, but have you considered finding a similar position in, say, Florida? Although some here like to put Florida down, they do have education in the Sunshine State.

If your preference is to spend the winter months in the Bahamas, would it be possible for you to cobble together some kind of "education-exchange" program with your peers in the Bahamas that your college could benefit from, and which you would be willing to, shall we say, "manage?" If you can create some program that you can sell to your administration as a win-win for the college, perhaps you can have your cake and eat it, too.

Oh, by the way, the website you provide a link to contains some beautiful photography. Are you the creator of same?

TaoJones
Old 20-12-2008, 15:29   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Woosh - Thanks for your time and thoughts. You have very clearly articulated many of the reasons this idea probably won't move beyond the idea phase. Although I like the idea of more time to cruise every winter"

1. I really can't complain at all about the time I have now. In addition to the time many have with an academic schedule, I am eligible for some paid leave. As I evaluate things more carefully, I think the short term utility of increasing this time just isn't worth the diminished retirement savings, etc.

2. Even more are some of the potential political ramifactions you mentioned. They may not be immediate issues, but with time those things change...
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 16:04   #18

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Tao - Also good thoughts. The reality is I'm to the point where I have a higher standard of living, more time off and benefits eligibility here than I'd ever get anywhere else. I have 4 weeks free every winter and as much every summer. I have no complaints, but the potential to have even more sailing time, is something I'm not going to pass by without careful consideration.

Thanks for the photo comments. All the images on my Abacos, Bahamas page were indeed taken by me. One of my goals is to eventually expand that to include the entire Bahamas. While I think there are many fine guidebooks. I think there is still room for something that gives potential cruisers a better idea of what the various islands have to offer.

For anyone else who is interested, that page is here:

Blank
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 16:13   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
<snip>

Thanks for the photo comments. All the images on my Abacos, Bahamas page were indeed taken by me. One of my goals is to eventually expand that to include the entire Bahamas. While I think there are many fine guidebooks. I think there is still room for something that gives potential cruisers a better idea of what the various islands have to offer.

For anyone else who is interested, that page is here:

Blank
I'm not at all surprised that someone named Zeiss (arguably, the finest name in optics) is the auteur of such stunning images.

TaoJones
Old 20-12-2008, 20:01   #20

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Nautical62,

Whoosh has given you thorough and wise counsel. It kind of reminds me of a conversation between two friends of mine, where one was explaining the exhileration and pleasure he got from sky-diving. The other guy asked him why he would jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane. Its about where you are, and where you want to be.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 08:50   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
"He who dies with most toys wins"
The toys must be worn out to count!
c_a_otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 11:02   #22

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I'm admittedly not at all very knowledgeable about finance, but I'm guessing that as long as we're not careening into Mad Max territory, this is the time to increase your investments for retirement, if you can possibly afford it.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote