Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 18:14   #1

Used Boat Markets - For Buyer

Researching to purchase a boat later next year. Searching on internet is easy and cheap, lol. Would it be wise to take a couple (2) trips to scope out boats at areas that include a number of harbors?

Thoughts on best locations to prioritize .... If you were -buying- a 35-42 cat? 8-15 years old.

- California
- Gulf states
- Florida Keys
- Florida (East Coast or West)
- Great Lakes
- Caribbean
- Panama
- Other

Thanks
tallted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 19:36   #2

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Used Boat Markets - For Buyer

Go where the cats are. It seems to me that the highest population of cats are in SE Fla. The best place to buy monos in good condition NE and Great Lakes and Fla for price. Look at the ads on Yachtworld and see where the listing are.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:23   #3

Quick check of Yachtworld shows about four times as many cats, in your size range, in Florida as in California. I would move Florida to the top of the list, unless you have some other reason for wanting to look in California first.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:32   #4

Boat: 53' Cutter

If you have not identified exactly what boat models you are interested in purchasing, then yes travel to SE Florida and visit as many Cats as you can get on so that you can narrow the field.

Once you know what you want, use the internet. When you are actually ready to buy, also send out notes to brokers everywhere that list the specifics you are wanting. Only a small percentage of boats are listed on the internet, so local contacts can be a great help in finding your boat.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Used Boat Markets - For Buyer

Might also want to check out cats coming out of charter in the Med where they are very popular in places like Palma de Mallorca and further East..
Some good deals as they are not VAT paid so cheaper than privately owned.. you have 90 days on your visa to get it out of the EU and the boat is safe for 18 months.. so you can get in some cruising the first year then a bit more in the W Med before heading back home.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:09   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

If you’re prepared to travel and wish to discover amazing countries, consider
Croatia,
Turkey ( Marmaris Yacht Maine un perticular)
Greece
Good prices
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:23   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Not the Great Lakes. Excellent place for monos, but cats are few and far between.

You Americans should definitely try to look north of the border right now if you can. With the Canadian dollar running at 20% lower than your greenback, it means boats up here tend to be cheaper right now.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:24   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I just noted "Great Lakes" on your list. They're as rare as hens teeth up here because of two factors inherent in the design - width and draft. Most of the western Lakes are deep enough that there is no advantage of 3 foot over 6 foot drafts (sorry, Eire). Width is a factor if you consider that re-locating something twelve feet wide by truck is nearly impossible, thus it has to transit canals on its own bottom. Perhaps the same two factors explain why French-built cats are not common on the Pacific coast either?

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 08:04   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seawind 1600 52'

I purchased two catamarans (after a lot of research each time) in 2011 and 2016. I have an ASA sailing school in the Caribbean (V.I. Sailing School) and I am now looking for a 4 cabin monohull... But first, the Cats.

Yachtworld and one other site ((I can't remember the other now) is where I did most of my research//shopping in 2011. I ended up buying a Leopard 47 in Honduras. It was off the beaten path, the guy was flexible on price, and I found a surveyor/cruiser through the SAMS site (society of accredited marine surveyors). A great guy who surveyed the boat. I got the full story and was able to negotiate remotely. She is a great boat and it was a good deal.

The second, a Leopard 44 I bought out of charter from the Sunsail in 2016.

1st, I asked about the maintenance records. The records showed very minimal damage repair since new.

2nd, I took my owner's time in the remaining 6 months to sail around and make a complete fixit list.

3rd, I had it surveyed by my own surveyor at the end of the charter program "phase out". The Phase Out is part of what Sunsail is contractually obligated to do. Which is hand over a fully functional boat.

4th, I picked the boat up with a few days to spare (this was in St Martin) to be sure all was done properly. I should have given more time because everything was not done and due to my schedule, had to let a few smaller items slide. Also, I should have had the batteries load checked, they were on there way out and that would have saved me a few thousand a few months down the line. There was also a report of the tranny oil being a little low. Should have looked at this more closely because there as a very small leak that got bigger and required repair a year later.

Lastly, I will say this about my 2012 Leopard. When you peal back the panels and crawl around inside, while the design is better than my 2005 Leopard, the construction is haphazard. The glasswork is sloppy in places, piles of resin dust left behind, misaligned bimini AND... the Rudder broke off earlier this year because it was corroded 1/2 way through just below the waterline (on a 5 year old boat!!).

A year or two before, I talked to the maintenance people at Moorings, they loved the Leopard 47, said "47s hardly needed repair... newer ones we got to fix all da time!" (they were comparing to the 46 at the time to be accurate). My guess is the 44 is a continuation of that trend.

Now I am looking for a 4 cabin monohull... if anyone knows of a good one in N. America. BTW... If the exchange rate: Euro to $ gets lower (like around 1$ to 1.15E, the Med has deals (even now).

Good Luck!
C.S.
V.I. Sailing School
Captain Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 13:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
I purchased two catamarans (after a lot of research each time) in 2011 and 2016. I have an ASA sailing school in the Caribbean (V.I. Sailing School) and I am now looking for a 4 cabin monohull... But first, the Cats.

Yachtworld and one other site ((I can't remember the other now) is where I did most of my research//shopping in 2011. I ended up buying a Leopard 47 in Honduras. It was off the beaten path, the guy was flexible on price, and I found a surveyor/cruiser through the SAMS site (society of accredited marine surveyors). A great guy who surveyed the boat. I got the full story and was able to negotiate remotely. She is a great boat and it was a good deal.

The second, a Leopard 44 I bought out of charter from the Sunsail in 2016.

1st, I asked about the maintenance records. The records showed very minimal damage repair since new.

2nd, I took my owner's time in the remaining 6 months to sail around and make a complete fixit list.

3rd, I had it surveyed by my own surveyor at the end of the charter program "phase out". The Phase Out is part of what Sunsail is contractually obligated to do. Which is hand over a fully functional boat.

4th, I picked the boat up with a few days to spare (this was in St Martin) to be sure all was done properly. I should have given more time because everything was not done and due to my schedule, had to let a few smaller items slide. Also, I should have had the batteries load checked, they were on there way out and that would have saved me a few thousand a few months down the line. There was also a report of the tranny oil being a little low. Should have looked at this more closely because there as a very small leak that got bigger and required repair a year later.

Lastly, I will say this about my 2012 Leopard. When you peal back the panels and crawl around inside, while the design is better than my 2005 Leopard, the construction is haphazard. The glasswork is sloppy in places, piles of resin dust left behind, misaligned bimini AND... the Rudder broke off earlier this year because it was corroded 1/2 way through just below the waterline (on a 5 year old boat!!).

A year or two before, I talked to the maintenance people at Moorings, they loved the Leopard 47, said "47s hardly needed repair... newer ones we got to fix all da time!" (they were comparing to the 46 at the time to be accurate). My guess is the 44 is a continuation of that trend.

Now I am looking for a 4 cabin monohull... if anyone knows of a good one in N. America. BTW... If the exchange rate: Euro to $ gets lower (like around 1$ to 1.15E, the Med has deals (even now).

Good Luck!
C.S.
V.I. Sailing School

Captain Scott...

I should get to know you: over the next (hopefully) 2 years, I'm fulfilling the waiting game portion of my plan... after that, I'll purchase a liveaboard, and would want a close ally of your persuasion. I'll be mostly green, but quite able, and terrifically realistic. A good school to help with the transition is good, but made better by knowing them as a friend with a hand in the industry. So much to know.
I've been researching boat types alone, for 7 years now. Again... so much to know. :0)

Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 19:09   #11

Boat: TBD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
Captain Scott...

I should get to know you: over the next (hopefully) 2 years, I'm fulfilling the waiting game portion of my plan... after that, I'll purchase a liveaboard, and would want a close ally of your persuasion. I'll be mostly green, but quite able, and terrifically realistic. A good school to help with the transition is good, but made better by knowing them as a friend with a hand in the industry. So much to know.
I've been researching boat types alone, for 7 years now. Again... so much to know. :0)

Bill
First time posting here, but I am in the same boat (hehe).
2B1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:38   #12

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

go to florida. there's probably more cats in florida than the rest of the US combined. really outside of the florida cats aren't all that popular compared to mono's.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, used boat