Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 14:10   #1

Used boat in the Caribbean being Italian, paperwork and reccomendations

Good evening!

I want to get my divemaster in Utila, Honduras, and then fly somewhere in the Caribbean to buy a second hand boat, between 27-32 feet. I have an overall budget of 15k usd for the boat and I would like to have it ready to cruise the Caribbean. Best place in Caribbean to buy one? I have Italian passport, I dont know if that is relevant. I wouldnt flag her as Italian though.

Many thanks in advance!
federikolarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 15:15   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Used boat in the Caribbean being Italian, paperwork and reccomendations

Nearby Rio Dulce, Guatemala is a good place to find inexpensive boats.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 15:20   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Check out Seakist Yacht Sales in the Rio. He has a Islander 36 in our marina that looks like a good deal.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:33   #4

I will check it out, I thought the best market on Caribbean was Grenada but then I saw too much paperwork, what kind of documents do I need to travel around the world?(without counting license, which I have, BTW I have IMO Master 500, it is commercial, issued by an IMO recognized intitution in Argentina, is it good to sail with it?)

Also, what lenght do you reccomend me to buy? I will have a friend on board for a few months to help so it has to be big enough, but after a while I will be single-handed so I dont want anything too big and also I read somewhere that above 32' the requirements to cruise are more extensive, etcetera.

Many thanks I hope it is not too many questions!!
Old 02-08-2019, 08:13   #5

There are no requirements of any kind to sail the entire Caribbean basin other than a boat that floats.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
There are no requirements of any kind to sail the entire Caribbean basin other than a boat that floats.
Hi belizesailor! But then in a few years I want to move on and sail all around the world!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:09   #7

Ok. I dont know of anywhere that > 32' will make any difference. The only places that will care about any form of liscencing for recreational use are some, not all, first world destinations. So, for a large chunk of the world, none of that matters either.

Panama Canal rates increase for small boats > 50', but less than are all the same.

I believe there are some threads here already discussing these issues for 1st world destinations like EU countries. Give those a search.

For almost everywhere world wide all you need to clear in/out of a country is valid papers for the boat and crew. Some 1st world countries may require proof of compentency via something like an ICC, but I expect most would accept an IMO recognized liscence (though not required for recreational use). Many countries require some form of cruising permit which you acquire when clearing in.

Your bigger challenge may be finding a ready to cruise boat for US$15K.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ok. I dont know of anywhere that > 32' will make any difference. The only places that will care about any form of liscencing for recreational use are some, not all, first world destinations. So, for a large chunk of the world, none of that matters either.

Panama Canal rates increase for small boats > 50', but less than are all the same.

I believe there are some threads here already discussing these issues for 1st world destinations like EU countries. Give those a search.

For almost everywhere world wide all you need to clear in/out of a country is valid papers for the boat and crew. Some 1st world countries may require proof of compentency via something like an ICC, but I expect most would accept an IMO recognized liscence (though not required for recreational use). Many countries require some form of cruising permit which you acquire when clearing in.

Your bigger challenge may be finding a ready to cruise boat for US$15K.
What kind of paperwork related to the boat do they ask?

Also, what do you think would be my ideal size of the sailboat? prepared for 2 persons but also not overwelming when single handed?

Lastly, yes, I am aware, and 15k usd is my budget overall, including survey, equipment, I dont know what else... registry I guess.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by federikolarosa View Post
What kind of paperwork related to the boat do they ask?

Also, what do you think would be my ideal size of the sailboat? prepared for 2 persons but also not overwelming when single handed?

Lastly, yes, I am aware, and 15k usd is my budget overall, including survey, equipment, I dont know what else... registry I guess.
Paperwork = registration. Basically it just proves ownership and must be current.

Size has little to do with ease of single handing (there are threads on that subject too). It does relate to comfort for 2. But in reality your ideal boat will likely be driven by price more than anything else.

$15K all included is going to be a serious challenge, but its not impossible.

Thread on boats under $30K may give you some ideas:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html
Old 02-08-2019, 16:07   #10

If by “around the world” you mean to include Australia, you will need at least Third Party Property insurance to moor in most ports.
Frank 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 16:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 101 View Post
If by “around the world” you mean to include Australia, you will need at least Third Party Property insurance to moor in most ports.
Oh yeah, some 1st world marinas/moorings will want proof of at least liability insurance too...a boat can do a lot of damage in a marina.

Tags
boat, Caribbean, men, rib, used boat