Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2021, 04:38   #1

Boat: Passport 41
USCG Documentation Lead Time

I unfortunately got down to the wire on my renewal date, I went ahead and did the online option (Pay.gov + email delivery) - Wondering if anyone recently did this and has insight into the turn around times?
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 05:08   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Casamance 46
Re: USCG Documentation Lead Time

You can do multiple years now
verb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 07:08   #3

100% not my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by verb88 View Post
You can do multiple years now
Old 25-01-2021, 07:29   #4

I have received mine in less than three weeks for the past two renewals. And although not your questions.....when I did mine this year it didn’t give me a multi year options. I was looking for it
Re-read your question....guess I didn’t answer it also. I had mine mailed to me. I don’t recall a email option. I would expect that in a day or so after the CC charge cleared.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 09:23   #5

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Renewal was emailed within a week.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 09:28   #6

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

A few weeks for me. Like 3-4.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 09:33   #7

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

FWIW, I did my renewal online, and received new paperwork in snail mail within 3 weeks.
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 10:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

Also not the posters question. Sorry but he may have accidentally done it right. Don't make the mistake of renewing early. Your expiration date will be backed up a month or more giving you 11 or fewer months month for your fee money.

Example: Renew in December for a documentation certificate that has an expiration date of January 31st. Your new renewed certificate will now expire on December 31st.

Its similar with passports. Many airlines won't allow you to travel to a foreign country if your passport is not valid for at least ninety days. Renew it 91 days or more early and you will loose three months or more of your fee money.

Many people in government (Federal and state) may seem stupid, but few in the revenue end of it are. These guys and gals know every trick in the book to cheat the citizens out of their money. It may seem like peanuts but multiply a few dollars by the number of people that get screwed by their public servants and it amounts to real money.

I just paid US Customs over $4,000 in import duty for to import a boat into the US that was built in a foreign country who's products are clearly and lawfully exempt from US import duty. Ten years ago we did the same thing duty free. When I asked why, a local customs officer (I won't mention any names) was very apologetic and told me it seems that US Customs has a new lady lawyer in DC who is trying to make a name for herself by taking farfetched interpretations of both US law and the international treaty with this particular foreign country. I contacted the US embassy of this country and they were pissed to find this out too.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 10:24   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
I unfortunately got down to the wire on my renewal date, I went ahead and did the online option (Pay.gov + email delivery) - Wondering if anyone recently did this and has insight into the turn around times?
I just renewed mine, was very quick, around 2 weeks.

I had previously renewed online, but that was a disaster as they mailed my documents to my old address, where I have not lived in 2 years, even though I provided the new address. They wanted to charge me a lot of money for a replacement, so it was actually cheaper to just renew early. This time I mailed it in with a check, and they did the right thing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 10:41   #10

Boat: Kadey-Krogen 38 Cutter

Just did mine last month. Had my new document in hand in 10 days.
sailstax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 12:03   #11

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Hard to tell with mail still being delayed due to manpower shortages due to Covid and budget reductions. Some mail that should take a week is up to 6 weeks late. Your good as long as you have an acknowledged receipt by the USCG within 30 days of current expiration.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 12:26   #12

Boat: Rawson 30PH

If you did the renewal before the due date you will get a receipt, print and use it until the official document gets there. The coast guard is totally unpredictable
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 12:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Puget View Post
If you did the renewal before the due date you will get a receipt, print and use it until the official document gets there. The coast guard is totally unpredictable
You've used this approach with, say, an international arrival?
Old 25-01-2021, 13:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
Hard to tell with mail still being delayed due to manpower shortages due to Covid and budget reductions. Some mail that should take a week is up to 6 weeks late. Your good as long as you have an acknowledged receipt by the USCG within 30 days of current expiration.
Literally put in the original post that I chose the email option.
Old 25-01-2021, 13:15   #15

Boat: Hunter 46

60 days..............save your receipt.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men