Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2012, 12:15   #1

Boat: Block Island 40
Trying to find a job in a marina

I am currently cruising and have decided to wait until next year to go through the Panama Canal. I have some work I need to do on my boat before I cross the Pacific.

Rather than lounge around in Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands, spending money, I figured I would try to find a marina where I can work to make some extra cash and live on my boat right in the same marina.

Do many of you do this? Does anyone know of any marinas that are hiring and allow live aboards?

Location isn't a big issue since I'm currently underway and headed through Florida and can sail to where ever I find something.

Just wondering if anyone knowws how difficult it is for a cruiserto find a position in a marina.

Also, does anyone know of an effective way to go about finding a position in a marina?

Thanks for any insight/help.
Old 25-12-2012, 13:40   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Trying to find a job in a marina

Before you can legally work in any country you must first obtain what we in the US refer to as a "green card", a temporary resident visa from the local Immagration. This involves a process that can take years to complete. People from other countries who have obtained such a permit to work in a country will report those that are working under the radar to protect their own jobs.
In some countries (islands) it is possible to sign on as crew on another boat in order to work for wages on that boat.

At least that was the way it was when I was out there from 2000-2009.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 13:52   #3

Actually, I was hoping to find a marina somewhere in Florida. I haven't gotten out of the US yet and figured I may be able to find something while I'm here.
Old 25-12-2012, 14:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flink View Post
I am currently cruising and have decided to wait until next year to go through the Panama Canal. I have some work I need to do on my boat before I cross the Pacific.

Rather than lounge around in Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands, spending money, I figured I would try to find a marina where I can work to make some extra cash and live on my boat right in the same marina.

Do many of you do this? Does anyone know of any marinas that are hiring and allow live aboards?

Location isn't a big issue since I'm currently underway and headed through Florida and can sail to where ever I find something.

Just wondering if anyone knowws how difficult it is for a cruiserto find a position in a marina.

Also, does anyone know of an effective way to go about finding a position in a marina?

Thanks for any insight/help.
Many of the people I meet who are working at the local chandlers and other marine jobs seem to be liveabord cruisers. But you have to be a US citizen or have some kind of visa to work.

A green card is a PERMANENT resident visa, BTW.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 14:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Municipally owned marinas usually require a long process to get hired into, since most cities' hiring process is like molasses. Of course, there's lots of private marinas all over Florida. Looks like you're in for some legwork. The people I've known who lived and worked in a marina had usually been around a long time. We who pass through briefly are at a disadvantage for many sorts of jobs.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 15:11   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Many of the people I meet who are working at the local chandlers and other marine jobs seem to be liveabord cruisers. But you have to be a US citizen or have some kind of visa to work.

A green card is a PERMANENT resident visa, BTW.
The green card contains an experiation date.

Permanent residence (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have met many non-US cruisiers who had been working in the US with a green card, who were denied a renewal of the green card and told to leave the US. One couple had a baby born in the US and the baby had been given a US passport, the baby could stay but they had to leave.

BTW more people have had their visas revoked in the last four years than in any other four year period before.

I do wish the OP has mentioned that he was a US citizen thinking of working in the US
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 15:44   #7

I am a US citizen and I'm trying to find a marina to work at in Florida.

Thanks for the replies.