Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 06:17   #1

Boat: Gamelin 37
Travelling Veterinary Charity

Hi all,

My husband and I are hoping to set up a travelling veterinary charity group. I am an experienced wildlife and domestic animal vet, and he is an aquacultuirst and avid sailor. We are hoping to provide veterinary services to remote areas and also provide education programs for already established animal shelters, wildlife sanctuaries and veterinary clinics.
Unfortunately still a pipe dream at the moment. We need a reliable boat plus veterinary supplies so saving hard! But would be so amazing to get it set up - not only are we blessed with the ability to travel but more importantly to try make a difference to the places we go!
Has anyone had any experience sailing and working as a Veterinarian? Or operating a charity/business on board - any hot tips would be appreciated!

Maybe also tell us if we are crazy to do this!

Sincerely,
Sheridan
VetTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:01   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Travelling Veterinary Charity

Maybe you could work with Veterinarians Without Borders / Vétérinaires Sans Frontières
Veterinarians Without Borders / Vétérinaires sans Frontières
Old 05-10-2016, 02:06   #3

Hi Paul,

Have actually looked into that - I am Australian qualifies which means I cannot work for them, unless I sit the American board exams (which are notoriously difficult and expensive). I have approached a few other charity groups as well, and there is some potential to fall under one of them which would be ideal
Old 05-10-2016, 10:59   #4

I can't help you but great idea and I hope it works out!
King-stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:06   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Vet-
I don't where "traveling" means to you, but in most of the world you will have to deal with "practicing medicine without a license" unless you are certified to do so in each jurisdiction. Or, if you find jurisdictions that don't require a license for veterinary medicine.
You might want to contact one of those international agencies to see how they deal with this. I suspect they have at least one "supervisor" in each jurisdiction who IS licensed to practice there.
Or, you put on a grass skirt and shake rattles, and swear the penicillin had nothing to do with your spiritual cleansing.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 17:09   #6

Yeh it can be difficult depending on the country. What we would be trying to do is training with the staff they already have, so I am hoping to go to sanctuaries that already have veterinarians who require additional training. Its a loophole where I wouldn't be 'practicing' myself as they are registered.
There are also quite a few countries in SE Asia and Pacific that do not require special licence or auto-accept the Aussie qualifications. Some also have the rule that if it is not surgery and it is not 'paid for' then it is not 'veterinary medicine'.
As you have said with the other international organizations I think the supervisor is how they get around it, definitely worth asking them for more info though. Thank you for the advice!

Oh and love the bit about the grass skirt!
Old 05-10-2016, 21:34   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

One thing I would think seriously about is how you will respond to people asking for medical advice. When we were cruising my mom (doctor) would often spend a day a week running a clinic day, mostly she SA with a lot of people with easy complaints, but it wasn't uncommon to for people to bring pets, farm animals, everything from dogs to donkeys.

I imagine the same thing will occur in reverse.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:55   #8

Wow that must have been interesting for her! I already have that occur sometimes, and I agree that other than some basic first aid it is better to turn people away. I think it would be a good way to sued....
Old 06-10-2016, 06:21   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

OK we've traveled around Europe a bit and SE Asia. I can tell you in Cambodia, Thailand, Spain, Portugal nearly 50% of the animals we have seen have serious health issues. From maimed or damaged limbs, can barely walk, malnourishment, open sores and wounds, both in kittens and puppies to full grown. We have seen serious heartbreaking things out here. And there are pretty much zero services to help them unless its a guy with a rock or machete putting one down. You could spend the rest of your life helping these animals doing it 7 days a week.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:56   #10

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I am a small animal /wildlife/ exotic veterinarian currently licensed in the USA. I have been cruising for 11 years. Started Chesapeake now in Malaysia.

Worked 2 years total for Spay Panama. There neutered for them ( spay, castrate) in clinics set up for locals in out islands for as little as $2 an animal's What they were charged, I was given a lunch. Worked with their vets, often 5 or 6 vets at a time with ancillary help. Also when went through Panama Canal and worked in their main hospital doing same plus seeing sick and injured. Taught the vets there orthopedic surgeries. Went out to Perlas Islands capturing and neutering feral cats then released. They were devastating the local natural wildlife.

Volunteered 2 years IRO (Island Rescue Organization) in Cebu, Philippines. Was there 2 months before learning iro was also the local name for dog. Rescue shelter medicine. Where I met my wife ( filipina) four years ago. Eighty of my patients were pitbulls. They were taken from Chinese dog fighting ring by local police. They were then sold back to them by the same police. IRO got them to get them again for the second time. This was before I was there.

Had just arrived in Vavau, Tonga when I heard on the radio net they were having a fundraiser to get a vet to the island to take care of the local animal population. I got on and told them here I am. There 2 months. Against the law to euthanize the dogs. Would ruin the meat.

Been many other places doing volunteer work. Last in Malaysia helping at a vet hospital in Langkawi. Different orthopedic cases and a few days of routine vet work keeping my skills sharp. My boats there waiting for me while I am touring india

Perhaps I might answer some questions? We could talk on Skype maybe.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:08   #11

I am a small animal /wildlife/ exotic veterinarian currently licensed in the USA. I have been cruising for 11 years. Started Chesapeake now in Malaysia.

Worked 2 years total for Spay Panama. There neutered for them ( spay, castrate) in clinics set up for locals in out islands for as little as $2 an animal's What they were charged, I was given a lunch. Worked with their vets, often 5 or 6 vets at a time with ancillary help. Also when went through Panama Canal and worked in their main hospital doing same plus seeing sick and injured. Taught the vets there orthopedic surgeries. Went out to Perlas Islands capturing and neutering feral cats then released. They were devastating the local natural wildlife.

Volunteered 2 years IRO (Island Rescue Organization) in Cebu, Philippines. Was there 2 months before learning iro was also the local name for dog. Rescue shelter medicine. Where I met my wife ( filipina) four years ago. Eighty of my patients were pitbulls. They were taken from Chinese dog fighting ring by local police. They were then sold back to them by the same police. IRO got them to get them again for the second time. This was before I was there.

Had just arrived in Vavau, Tonga when I heard on the radio net they were having a fundraiser to get a vet to the island to take care of the local animal population. I got on and told them here I am. There 2 months. Against the law to euthanize via injection the dogs. Had to get a policeman to shoot them. Would ruin the meat.

Been many other places doing volunteer work. Last in Malaysia helping at a vet hospital in Langkawi. Different orthopedic cases and a few days of routine vet work keeping my skills sharp. My boats there waiting for me while I am touring india

Perhaps I might answer some questions? We could talk on Skype maybe.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:59   #12

Double posted. Sorry.
Old 06-10-2016, 14:24   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetTails View Post
Wow that must have been interesting for her! I already have that occur sometimes, and I agree that other than some basic first aid it is better to turn people away. I think it would be a good way to sued....
In her case she took a crash course from a local vet and started stocking medicine that work for animals as well. Not that she loved it, but...

In a huge number of cases it would be simple things like ringworm that kept getting passé during back and forth from the kids to the dog. A lot of topical infections and open sores. She never (to my knowledge) did any surgery or anything requiring much more than anti-biotics, but it's a hard call.

It actually was a bit of a joke, she had a huge collection of vetenary books on board, but almost no medical reference material. And spent more time looking up drug dosages for animals than she ever did for people.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 20:15   #14

it can be heartbeaking, but that is way I feel like I have to at least try! Have seen some pretty horrible things here in China too -one puppy (Tuffy - he is kinda Youtube famous now) who was boiled after chewing his owners mobile phone then thrown out a window.. but he survived and now lives with this amazing graphic designer! Such a lucky pup now!
Thanks for the info Doc would really love to chat more about your travels! Have messaged you my skype details!