Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2011, 10:59   #1

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Transport of Boat from Norway to Kemah, TX

Hi All,

Does anyone have any guidance or experience to offer on the following:

We're currently exploring a change-of-life option which involves upping sticks in September, selling everything, moving to Houston and buying everything again. However, we have a shiny new Bavaria 36 which we would either:

1). Sell (or attempting to) the boat at the end of the season, or leave it in the hands of a dealer and maybe offer him 5% commission to sell, then buy again in TX, or;
2). Explore the option of transporting the boat (skippered delivery to major port then shipped to florida etc) if that turns out to be more cost effective than 1. ...

Not sure which is the smartest thing to do. Currently don't have the time to sail south to pick up the ARC2011 in November (so, sadly, that that isn't an option) even though I'd love to sail to the US.

Any ideas?
Old 20-02-2011, 11:38   #2

Boat: FP Mahe 36 #108 "Caramba"
Hi.
I know a skipper that might be interested. Send me a PM (gjerne på norsk ) if 2) is a solution.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 12:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hi folks.... thats a big move your planning.. Best of luck....
I also know a Skipper who would be interested.... PM or check my profile page....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 14:23   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Norway has a VAT like most European countries, right? So you have already paid a substantial tax that you won't get any credit for when you move it to the US. I would suspect that you can sell the boat for more than a similar boat would cost in the US and save the hassle of transportation, registration, etc.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 05:18   #5

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Transport of Boat from Norway to Kemah, TX

not sure if the boat transporters go to Norway but maybe UK? had a friend ship one from Australia to Miami for $10,000.00 so might be a viable option. Planning on being in Norway Aug.1rstish. Wife would not let me do a return trip in the same year so couldn't bring yours back, though had toyed with the idea.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 18:53   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I think I would try and sell the VAT paid boat there. Kemah/Clear Lake is the US's 3rd largest boating center - there are LOTS of boats for sale. Even if you find one you like in Florida, it's just a 5 day trip across the Gulf.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 11:03   #7

I lived in the Stavanger area for ten years, and the boat market there is very strong - so you could well find a buyer. Even know a broker if you're interested. Norway also has a bomb-proof economy, so you'll probably get the price you want if you are reasonable - and the exchange rate is good. However, the consumer protection laws are fierce - so it would be best to pay for a survey to help sell the boat.

On the other hand, I helped someone ship a boat back to the UK. It was relatively easy. Mast off, boat in cradle, cradle shipped as deck cargo from Tananger. Might have to trans-ship a couple of times, but not difficult to arrange with people who do that sort of thing.

Sailing boat back to UK as first stage in taking it across the pond would also be straightforward. An increasing number of boats do the North Sea crossing - and there are a surprising number of Norwegian nationals who have done the round the world trip - so lots of potential delivery skippers. An advert in the Aftenblad, Stavanger would be a place to start. Not all Norwegians admire those who take a boat to Antarctica - there are some very fine sailors too.
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 12:04   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome aboard and enjoy CF.

My boat is in the Kemah area, at Seabtook on the North side of Clear Lake. Hope to see you when you arrive..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 06:05   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Weso.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 09:28   #10

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Sell it here, you save a lot on that,
put it in on......FINN.no: Reise, Oppdrag, Torget, Eiendom, Bil, MC, Båt... and Bavaria 36 is sold easy.
but dont wait to long, its now when the sun is shining they want to by.
You can by a bigger, better boat in US for less then what you get for the bavaria in Norway.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kemah, Norway