Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2021, 11:46   #16

Re: Tradition around boat names

Simple rules:

No dirty jokes, no matter how cute.

Never use "Nauti..." as part of the boat name.

And, please, please, PLEASE, if you own a boat with two hulls, skip the feline puns. They aren't original and are usually stupid.

Use words people have heard of. Real words from the dictionary.

And be careful of of foreign languages. One of the "best" bad boat names ever, unfortunately since decommissioned, Click here to see...

We were going to rename our boat, but the previous owners suggested we keep the original name. The first owners had done a circumnavigation, and the people we bought her from did one as well. They enjoyed coming into a harbor on the far side of the world, and having people recognize the boat. We did, and have made a couple friends that way.

It's a good name. "Harmonie" A word that means about the same thing in all European languages, is easy to spell and pronounce. The French spelling makes it just a touch more memorable to English speakers.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 12:15   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

as many posters above have pointed out...keep it simple.....learn to spell it phonetically...Bravo-Oscar-alpha-tango....Boat...as this helps when you are calling on iffy signal strength....use only one name...some folks go to town naming their boat...it can be quite laughable....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 13:34   #18

My suggestions for naming a boat are as follows: Choose a name that does not insult the boat. Choose a name that does not challenge the elements. Choose a name that is easy to pronounce, even to non-English speakers. And finally, if you are going to be cruising foreign, choose a short name; you are going to be writing it a lot filling out forms checking in and out of ports.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 13:44   #19

Boat: Kelly-Peterson 44

If you're ever going to cruise it, don't name it something that a non-English speaker won't easily recognize. We named a boat Tricia Jean after our moms and I can't tell you how many times we had to spell the name over the radio because someone couldn't understand what we were saying. We named our current boat Loose Pointer and never had a problem.
Dan Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 14:02   #20

I'm surprised no one mentioned the tradition of not renaming a boat (at least without a pagan ritual involved)
SailSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 14:45   #21

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRhodes13 View Post
Keep in mind what it may sound like in an emergency.

Mayday, Mayday, this is 'Just Messin Around' might not work as a call for help.
I've always thought that there must be at least one boat named "I'm OK" - try that with a Mayday call.

We named ours (in a way that doesn't make it obvious) for the relative who left me the money that paid for the boat. I have seen that a few times, expressed in various ways, including one boat named "Thanks, Dad".

Aside from that I agree with most of what has been said: meaningful to you, but simple and elegant.
Old 28-08-2021, 14:56   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
I've always thought that there must be at least one boat named "I'm OK" - try that with a Mayday call.
Or "Never mind"
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 16:13   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Tara is not a gods name as far as I am aware...
Tara is a ♀ female name.

Origin of Tara
Tara is an Irish-Gaelic and a Sanskrit name.

Meaning of Tara
Tara means “elevated place” (hill) in Gaelic and “star” in Sanskrit

Make it something that means something to you but, as stated simpler is better... I knew someone who named their boat 'Breakfast in Bed'...
A real bugga when the station your calling in emergency asks you to spell it phonetically..
Tara is a goddess in both the Hindu and Buddhist religion. The previous owner named it for no other reason than it was one of the most popular Goddesses and had a complete ceremony with monks the day it was named. Nobody in his family was named Tara....
That said,, I have yet to see a boat named JC "+", though "Jesus" in not an uncommon hispanic name. I guess you can argue who the heck is "Lady Liberty"....was she another pagan goddess of liberty...lol. Finally, if it is a Gealic name it certainly came way before they started naming their kids Christian names.
Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 16:25   #24

In our marina, many boats with live - aboard owners have a sign - usually near the transom - "No shoes". Now maybe that is a suitable name. An implication of a more relaxed lifestyle.
However, tradition is complex. If naming a battleship or a weekend pleasure boat or a super tanker, then usually, traditional means quite different "types " of names. In the past names such as "The Victory" or "The Queen Mary" or the "Endeavour" all had specific traditional implications.
Flippant or rude names usually say more about the owner than the boat.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 16:37   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tradition around boat names

There is no divine creator god or supreme being in the Buddhist teachings, so that Buddhism is often called a nontheistic religion. The historical Buddha began as an ordinary person, who gained awakening by training his own mind and apprehending the true nature of reality.
That being said, later converts to the Buddha's teachings may well have carried hangovers of their previous religion with them and over time they took a hold in sub divisions that have developed.
Like most religions.. little is left today of the originators intent, just interpretations that suited the powerful of the times.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 17:43   #26
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I had a friend in college who would tell every girl he dated, “I named my boat after you.” They were disappointed when they saw the boat and it was named, “After You.”

I also recommend simple and easy to spell. I made the mistake of naming my boat “B’Shert” which is Yiddish for meant to be, (when you meet your soul mate and it is meant to be, it is B’Shert). I like the name and the idea but it is difficult on the radio and even face to face in harbors.
1. Make it short in case you have to spell it phonetically.

2. Don't refer to anything that might confuse in an emergency call.

3. Make a list of possibilities and remove/add a name everyday.

~ ,,~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 18:14   #27

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Most importantly in today’s connected world:

Pick a name that has a URL or email address that you can grab.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 19:29   #28

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If you are superstitious don't pick a name that involves dominating the ocean.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_...ath_and_legacy
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 19:57   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There is no divine creator god or supreme being in the Buddhist teachings, so that Buddhism is often called a nontheistic religion. The historical Buddha began as an ordinary person, who gained awakening by training his own mind and apprehending the true nature of reality.
That being said, later converts to the Buddha's teachings may well have carried hangovers of their previous religion with them and over time they took a hold in sub divisions that have developed.
Like most religions.. little is left today of the originators intent, just interpretations that suited the powerful of the times.
lol..first you are expert on names and stated tara did not exist as a goddes which you were wrong....now you are expert in religion. lol

ok
and you are an expert on
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 20:07   #30

I'm Buddhist and none of this matters.

I had an idea for a boat name recently. But I ran it up the flagpole in another thread and no one saluted.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat names