Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2012, 15:14   #1

Trade Maintenance for Boat Use?

I'm an occasional sailor looking to get out on the water more often. I don't have the money to put into purchasing my own boat, but I do have extra time on my hands. As a boat owner, if someone asked if you would be interested in free maintenance/upkeep in exchange for limited use of your boat, would this sound appealing?
RogSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 15:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Trade Maintenance for Boat Use?

Hi Rogsail and welcome to the forum.

Since this is an international forum you might want to mention at least what country you're in. A city or state would be even better.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 16:13   #3

I live in Northern California; but I'm not looking for an actual boatowner via this forum (I'll probably just put a flyer up at my local marina). I'm asking the forum if this is a crazy idea, or something your average boatowner might consider. If the overwhelming opinion is that it's crazy, I won't waste my time hanging flyers....
Old 26-05-2012, 16:18   #4

Boat: Celestial 48

Suggest Latitude 38 crew list. Crew a few times on someone's boat and show them that you know how to sail it. Then talk to owner: "Wouldn't it be great if you could have someone who would do maintenance on your boat ..."
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 16:31   #5

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

Hi and welcome,

I think it's a perfectly fine idea!! If you were close by I'd be happy to trade sailing for work. I am assuming you are not asking to take the boat out alone. This I think would be next to impossible to find...still...you never know.

cheers and good luck,

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 17:02   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogSail View Post
......... As a boat owner, if someone asked if you would be interested in free maintenance/upkeep in exchange for limited use of your boat, would this sound appealing?
If you just wanted to tag along, most people would be glad to take you with them from time to time without having to get anything in return. I do it all the time with people I have met through the boat crowd. You meet lots of willing people if you join a race club. They always need 'rail meat' and it's a great way to meet a lot of sailors.
If you mean, from the way you worded it, that you want to take the boat out by yourself - lots of luck dude.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 19:51   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am with the others.

I pick up dockwalkers, a couple of folks I have met here on CF and lots of friends of friends for daysails - the more the merrier if space on board. Occasional sailors like this are not expected to contribute anything. In fact I usually provide the beer the first time. I consider it promoting the sport and meeting people. If they ask what to bring I will tell them but not expected.

For those with kismet and come back occasionally, they get to bring beer.

Those that integrate into regular crew eventually end up helping out on the boat maintenance. Scrubbing decks, interiors and toilets. Particularly not disapperaing at haulout time - many hands are useful for scrubbing, cleaning, sanding, polishing, loading and unloading gear and just moral support. If they have mechanical apptitude they get promoted to mechanics mate... It is not an insignificant amount of time to invest teaching someone to do real maintenance.

If one is intelligent, interested, does some self study and at least offers to help, they are more likely to get invited back. I had one guy who would ping me every Thursday, and only on Thursday. "I am free this weekend, are we sailing?" Sort of presumtuous, especially as I wouldn't hear from him between his "offers" to help me sail. He then repeatedly would bring glass bottles of beer in styrofoam coolers after many reminders that the beer of choice on board is Tiger Cans. The flick off occured when someone accidentally kicked and busted his cooler and he wanted to be made whole for it. Bye, bye...

There are probably two crew over the last 6 years I would let take my boat out solo. There are plenty of other skippers (owners) i would trust before most crew.

It's not a crazy idea you have but you may have to work yourself up the ladder.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 04:15   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
It's not a crazy idea you have but you may have to work yourself up the ladder.
+1

Likely you would have to settle for making a new mate - and therefore the fact that you don't get allowed out on your own becomes irrelevant as you will likely get to do pretty much everything you would do on your own - except you have a mate onboard, who just happens to be the Owner / Skipper (folks vary widely on how they perform that role - from the Anal to hands off). If you expressed an interest in performing the Skipper role (as part of your learning curve) then many would not mind stepping aside, at least now and again - even if always still onboard.

In my case, I would have no problem with the arrangement if you were someone I got on with and were helping out with some maintanence / were good company aboard / willing to put hand in own pocket, at least now and again (whether for beer or lunch - ashore or afloat).....those who continuously turn up empty handed tend to not be so welcomed as those who do (for me there is a "Taking the P#ss" line - somewhere )....albeit in my case would not be the case that every time I was onboard you would get a call - I don't want to be married to ya ....but for others the extra pair of hands (especially when docking) could be the difference between going out or not.

Don't ask - don't get .....albeit IMO starting off by asking simply to trade maintanence for time alone on the boat would probably put off most - even if some of them might consider the idea later, once you were a known quantity.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 05:40   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
.....albeit IMO starting off by asking simply to trade maintanence for time alone on the boat would probably put off most - even if some of them might consider the idea later, once you were a known quantity.
+1
I have been in that situation a few times.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 07:44   #10

I think you could easily find a deal like this if you have references and/or credentials. Many people only sail a few times a year, and want to forget about the boat the rest of the time. I have been offered unlimited use of a boat in return for keeping it in sail away condition. The key is convincing and owner you are trustworthy and finding an owner that only uses the boat occasionally.

Think how many derelict boats there are sitting in most marinas. Surely many owners would gladly let you use their boat in return for preventing this terrible fate.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 22:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I think you could easily find a deal like this if you have references and/or credentials. Many people only sail a few times a year, and want to forget about the boat the rest of the time. I have been offered unlimited use of a boat in return for keeping it in sail away condition. The key is convincing and owner you are trustworthy and finding an owner that only uses the boat occasionally.

Think how many derelict boats there are sitting in most marinas. Surely many owners would gladly let you use their boat in return for preventing this terrible fate.
THIS is the scenario that brought the idea to my mind; I see so many boats in the local Marina that never leave the dock. Boats, like airplanes (I'm a pilot), usually fare better mainenance-wise if they are operated on a regular basis.

Thanks to everyone for the inputs; I think I will try the crew route and see what happens....

Tags
maintenance