Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2017, 03:25   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Tools 4 Overseas Boatbuying - Language Translators

Guys, while I pick up languages really quickly, I’m thinking that it would be really, really handy to have some computer & smartphone programs/app’s that translate for you. Especially ones that do so in real time, or near real time. Both for spoken language, as well as text. Including a portable document reader?
And ideally they’d be able to handle technical jargon, & sailor speak, in order to facilitate acquiring raw materials or spares for the boat. And for when talking to sailmakers or specialty machinists when ordering gear/having it fabricated. Yes, my old drafting & mechanical drawing classes surely help with this, but...

So… I’m curious what some of you guys have that you love, what you use it for/it’s great at, & also it’s shortcomings. With the counterpart to this being, what have you tried that’s just sucked, & why did you not like it? And of course, the more specifics on anything that relates to these topics, the better.

Ideally one could take a smartphone with a couple of app’s, plus a laptop with the right software, & a good attitude, & fly somewhere they’ve never been to before, buy a boat, & commence cruising, without spending first spending years learning the language. Make sense? And if you have any wise tips to add, links you’d recommend, etc. Please post them. Keeping in mind that yes, I am a Luddite, albeit a savvy one

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 03:47   #2

Re: Tools 4 Overseas Boatbuying - Language Translators

Maybe time for you develop some up-to-date skills?

AutoCAD was initially released 34 years ago in 1982 and .dxf and .dwg file types are nearly universal. CAD drawings are infinitely more precise than hand drafting and are often used directly for programming CNC machines.

As for the rest, translation software specifically for international boat buying? Might try checking with google on that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Translate

starboard side = stuurboordkant in Afrikaans
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 03:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Not an App', but useful books.

SPANISH FOR CRUISERS, by Kathy Parsons
The Boater’s Complete Language Guide for Spanish-speaking Destinations
Complete info on SPANISH FOR CRUISERS Second Edition - Features, Reviews, Sample Pages, Sales Info

FRENCH FOR CRUISERS
FRENCH FOR CRUISERS HOME PAGE - Book Features, Reviews, Sample Pages, Sales Info - (ISBN 0-9675905-1-5)

See also, the free extras.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:10   #4

Thanks GordMay.

As to my mechanical drawings comment. It's basis is that if one speaks a machinist's language even a little, & the reverse is also true. Then if you trade hand sketched mechanical drawings back & forth for a few moments on ideas for how to solve the issue at hand, then the vast majority of the time things turn out quite well. And a notepad works anywhere, anytime, irregardless of computer access, or what software someone does or doesn't have.

I'm not seeing how snyde comments about getting schooled on 35yr old software are meant to be helpful. Whether, in point of fact, I'm already an expert on said programs or not.
You're welcome to politely clarify your meaning on this, as you are to find another thread to post in. However this thread's title ain't "How to produce CAD files in Cantonese".

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 24-03-2017, 04:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
And for when talking to sailmakers or specialty machinists when ordering gear/having it fabricated. Yes, my old drafting & mechanical drawing classes surely help with this, but...
Keeping in mind that yes, I am a Luddite, albeit a savvy one
If you are an AutoCAD expert you sure don't come across that way.

As far as the utility of being well versed in a vector based drafting program used by architects, engineers, and fabricators the world over when it comes to having something fabricated somewhere you don't speak the language?

Well, if you don't see any value in that than I am sorry for my attempt to be helpful.

Maybe it wasn't helpful but not sure my effort is deserving of such a disdainful remark from you. Talk about snide.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 05:44   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Google Translate on your smart phone and download the dictionary for the languages you use.

Google translate will translate from text, voice, and images.

Most other translation apps just use Google Translate services anyway.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 05:54   #7

Thanks belizesailor. Like I sai, a Luddite.

Old 24-03-2017, 08:53   #8

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

This promises to put real time interpreters out of business

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...hones-travel#/
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 09:22   #9

Boat: Custom Bruce Roberts 370
Send a message via Skype™ to BWSJWS

Google translate and ITranslate. Google being the best. You can use voice commands to enter text or even have the foreign speaker speak into your phone. It translates in real tIme. Of course you need internet. I have tried them all this is the best, easiest with the quickest results
BWSJWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 09:37   #10

Another vote for google translate on your phone. Even if you don't have a cell plan, download the language on wifi and it still works. It will even link with your phones camera and you can take a photo of a sign or menu and it will translate right on the picture.

Online, most of the browsers have automated translate features you can turn on.

When you get into specialty terminology, it gets hard as the translation software may give you a literal translation. But even with human translators it can be tough. I've been reviewing work by a spanish company and we both know what we are trying to say and it still goes off the rails from time to time.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 10:33   #11

Thanks much guys! And yep, I know that translating technical language is tough. I used to give my high school German teacher fits, given that I loved performance cars. And back then, that meant BMWs. Thus my use of the sketch pad, & engineering drawings for tech talk. It even worked when I was doing stuff with Russians, despite out differing alphabets. One of them universal languages it seems. Even in the Cold War days.

The thing about translating tech makes sense though. Since it really is another language unto itself. I mean if you try & explain the complex mechanical details of something to someone not familar with the concepts & hardware, you have to start very basic, & work up from there. And the thing is, many of the words used in some technical fields are almost exactly the same from one language to another. Even 2 languages from 1/2 way around the world from one another.

I quickly learned that many sailing terms & words in Russian were quite similar to their english counterparts. Right down to the words for gybe.

Old 24-03-2017, 14:03   #12

That sailing terms in English and Russian are largely identical is no surprise; they both got them from the Dutch.
techmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 17:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Thanks much guys! And yep, I know that translating technical language is tough....
Yes it is, in college we had a FORTRAN compiler written by a French university...all documentation was in French of course. No problem, we're a university with a language department, the French majors can translate it...totally stumped them.

Sailing in Guadalup once, weather forecast was in French. No problem, two girls aboard were French majors....couldnt follow the forecast at all.

By contrast, purely technical engineering stuff needs no spoken language. l once designed a hardware interface with a Japanese engineer who didnt speak a word of English and I spoke no Japanese.
Old 24-03-2017, 18:00   #14

Dialects are also a challenge....Panamanian Spanish uses lots of slang terms specific to Panama....Google is stumped.
Old 24-03-2017, 20:48   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Some of the French posts on the Vendee Globe website during this past race were hilarious after google translate got done with them.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, boat