Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 20:28   #16

Boat: Morris Justine 36'
Re: Thinking about buying a Shannon 43 Fixer Upper

The people at Quality Yacht Services in Tiverton, RI are former Shannon employees and may be a good resource. I bet a 15 yr old Shannon, after the refit, would hold up better than a 15 day old Bene
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:21   #17

Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch

We own a 12 year old Shannon 43 that was laid up on the hard for 2 years untouched. As someone else mentioned, a 15 yr old Shannon is practically new. Bill, Walt, and the team at Shannon are amazing and if you take the time to visit them in Bristol (as we did), you won't hesitate a moment to buy a Shannon. There are lots of boats out there, but few built like a Shannon, with the attention to detail and construction. The striking thing for me is that your opinion of a boat often declines as you spend more and more time on it. You find that the hull weeps with condensation, that the cabin bakes in the tropics, or that you can't access certain critical things because it was installed before another component went in to block it. On a Shannon, they don't design for the immediate, they design and build for the long haul.

If you buy the boat and put in the time necessary to bring her current, you'll have a boat that you won't ever want to part with!

Take the trip to Bristol!!!
JRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 08:28   #18

Boat: Shannon 37 cutter

Having owned and cruised a Shannon 28 for 20 years and now a Shannon 37 for 5, I have to echo what most of the others who know Shannons said; exceptional boats and company. Boats are built for taking you comfortably and safely anywhere you might possibly want to go, built to last, and built with long term maint and refit in mind (saws-all not required to R&R anything). Good luck.
Old 29-12-2012, 09:05   #19

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

In this market you should get a nice mono in the 43 ft range ready to go RTW for a TOTAL of $100k.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 10:33   #20

First when done is this the boat you want? We are 10 years into our current boat. It sat for 9 years before we got her, but was only old, no structural issues. We are not full time cruiser, but will be in a few. The rebuild has allowed us to create the boat we want, canvas, electronics, galley, etc. old is not bad. I believe my 1984 Pearson is built well. We also like the lines. If you buy her send pictures. Remember if you are not full time cruisers everything doesn't have to be done to enjoy your boat.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 12:11   #21

I have owned a shannon 38 ketch for 19 years which I am trying to sell now because I bought a shannon 43 fixer upper. They are great boats, US built for offshore live aboard, shoal 5' draft, a low rig for ICW, no teak decks or outside keel bolts to fix, etc. I wanted a fixer upper because, I want my boat my way, I could not afford a new quality cruising sailboat $$$$. Now I have new upholstery, sails and stackpack, electronics, etc...Just like buying a new boat but half price. Sure it takes some time, but you will know your boat inside out which is important if you really want to cruise and not spend a fortune. If it is a lifestyle,not just a hobby, so what ever you buy, buy quality and pay attention to the Brewer comfort formula.
bowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 12:19   #22

A yacht should inspire you like a beautiful woman, strong yet elegant, capable and smart and user friendly. Life is to short to own and be seen in a ugly boat.
bowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 18:09   #23

Boat: Balboa 27

$100K for canvas, sails, cushions, and electronics sounds pretty gold plated. If you shop around, do some of the work yourself, and buy used I can't see how you could spend over $20K.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying