Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 01:37   #1

Boat: 2000 Robertson & Caine Leopard 45
Surveyor Recommendations

I am considering changing from sail to motor & am looking at a 64' boat in Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area of Florida. Anyone got experienced recommendation for an excellent surveyor covering that area?
Thanks in advance.
macanudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 02:54   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Surveyor Recommendations

Hi, macanudo, and welcome to CF.

That topic has come up before. Here's a link to a custom Google search of the CF archives that I hope you find helpful: surveyor Tampa OR St Pete OR Clearwater - Google Search

Best of luck in your boat search!
Old 23-04-2012, 04:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

here you go National association of marine surveyors P.O. Box 9306 Chesapeake, Virginia 23321-9306 800-822-6267 NAMSGlobal - Welcome Aboard | NAMSGlobal
The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors Cardinal Blvd Jacksonville Florida 32210 800-344-9077 The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Inc.® - (SAMS®)
they have lists. I do not know anyone there
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 05:49   #4

Boat: 73 pearson 35

PAUL R. ANSTEY, INC.
MARINE SURVEYOR
YACHT DESIGNER AND CONSULTANT
6110 Anchor Lane
Rockledge, FL 32955
(954) 763 8276
Cell (954) 270 1949

Found no surprizes on his survey of my 73 Pearson 35.
Is reasonably priced.Travels and answers questions.Would use him again.
My Experence
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 07:54   #5

Thanks for suggestions so far.
Just to clarify I am seeking surveyor in the Tampa/StPete/Clearwater area that anybody on CF can personally vouch for from experience & that would have experience with some of the larger (over 60') power cruisers
Old 23-04-2012, 09:12   #6

NAMS and SAMS, listed above, will have listings for accredited surveyors in Tampa with info on their experience and scope of work. These organizations vouch for individual surveyors on objective bases, not empirical episodes that may or may not mean much (i.e., a single, individual survey experience). You should work both these organizations into your search. It's free to use their web sites. I recently used them to check out surveyors in Tortola, and was very pleased with what I learned.

If you want individual recommendations as well, continue to ask, but you may not find what you're looking for.

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 10:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

As a surveyor myself ... this is the guy I would hire ... Stan Konz
Old 23-04-2012, 11:15   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37
PAUL R. ANSTEY, INC.
MARINE SURVEYOR
YACHT DESIGNER AND CONSULTANT
6110 Anchor Lane
Rockledge, FL 32955
(954) 763 8276
Cell (954) 270 1949

Found no surprizes on his survey of my 73 Pearson 35.
Is reasonably priced.Travels and answers questions.Would use him again.
My Experence
Mark
I had a very different experience.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 11:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
As a surveyor myself ... this is the guy I would hire ... Stan Konz
Thanks for your input
Old 28-04-2012, 19:21   #10

macanudo! Read BOATPOKERS thread called surveying 101. I believe that is the title. The most helpfull thread I have seen on CF yet. You will get the knowledge to ask the right questions and sift through the mediocre surveyors. There are too many mediocre surveyors out there . Take the trouble to find a truly good one. Best of luck on your boat hunt. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 03:00   #11
Marine Service Provider

gjordan I went looking for BOATPOKERS thread surveying 101 and got lost looking for it. Could you post the link here of or send it directly to me? Thank you
Old 29-04-2012, 04:23   #12

Gjordan took a bit of finding but glad I persevered excellent & straightforward talking article with lots of great pointers for all thanks again.

Was easiest searching by contributor name : boatpoker
Here is the link within the CF
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1-a-78671.html

Here's the link to his own webpage for the actual article
How To Do your Own Marine Survey by a Marine Surveyor

Thanks again to all contributors to this topic/thread
Old 29-04-2012, 15:55   #13

I am glad you found it becouse I went looking for it and could not locate it. Not only did I have the title wrong, but my computor skills are somewhat in the dinasaur age. The more you learn from BOATPOKERS information, the better chance you have of finding a good surveyor. It is critically important since almost all survey contracts give a complete release of any liability to the surveyor. If he makes a big mistake, it is on you unless you can prove actual fraud. My first real cruising boat was surveyed by the man that the broker recommended to me, and went to the yard that the broker recommended. There were only 7 issues that needed work, and the only thing that was done correctly was putting on the bottom paint. I knew nothing at the time and only became aware of the mistakes as the shoddy work failed or caused other problems. I later learned that the surveyor worked part time at the yard, and that the broker and the yard owner dined together often. So much for integrity. I hope your new boat works out well._____Grant.
Old 29-04-2012, 19:23   #14
Marine Service Provider

Grant want is the name of the boat yard so I can avoid it and its questionable integrity?
Old 30-04-2012, 08:36   #15

The episode that I refered to was almost 40 years ago in the San Francisco area. I was young and dumb and the people mentioned were much older than me. I am sure they are all long gone by now. The worst example of yard work was them replacing the exhaust system with a rigid system when the engine was flex mounted. The next worst was not having an above deck vent for the fuel tank, so they installed one on the outside of the coaming about an inch above deck level and didnt even put a raised loop in the pipe. My first trip up the coast in a bit of bad weather filled the diesel tank with salt water from the vent. When I made an offer on the boat, the dealer said come around tomorrow for a test sail. When I arrived I didnt think twice about the engine being warm allready. It started right up and we took a test sail in about 4kn of wind. Oh Well ,I bought the boat anyway. A few weeks later when the survey and yard work were finished and the boat was back in its slip I arrived to try out my new boat. Funny how the engine would not start when it was cold. I finally located a can of either in a locker and got it running, which I am sure is what the broker did before I arrived for the test sail. It started fine if it had been run in the last few hours. So much for my trust in yacht brokers. I had been sold a boat with a worn out engine by a simple trick that I didnt know enough to be suspicious of. I later pulled the engine to rebuild it and enjoyed the boat so much without the engine that I went cruising without an engine. After writing this I must say that buying that boat was one of the best decisions in my life. I owned it for 4 or 5 years, did 8 or 9 thousand miles in it, and started a great cruising life. I am now looking for another boat to get back to cruising._____Grant.

Tags
surveyor