Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2016, 12:43   #16

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Shareholder model

Basically you are describing a yacht club with club access to boats. Minus the world travelling.
Someone still needs to be experienced enough to keep everyone safe. And someone needs to put in the money and be willing to pay to fix any errors made by the members who don't have the experience. Also most renters don't have the same respect for property that owners do.
There is potential with the system, and I agree you need to find the right people. Probably quite young and adventurous type.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 13:16   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 37' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Someone still needs to be experienced enough to keep everyone safe.
that'd be me...

Quote:
And someone needs to put in the money and be willing to pay to fix any errors made by the members who don't have the experience.
That'd also be me...

Quote:
Also most renters don't have the same respect for property that owners do.
I agree, but I think you can limit this effect by people actually working on the boat and traveling on it for extended periods of time. To sort of psychologically make it theirs, their home, too.

Quote:
There is potential with the system, and I agree you need to find the right people. Probably quite young and adventurous type.
These are the people I'm looking for.
SV gypsy spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 13:27   #18

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Then back to my original statement. You are bringing the boat and the exp to the table. Most posts of this nature bring neither.
In this case it is doable, with proper legal documents releasing you from liability;-)
I wouldn't even bother looking for people on a,sailing forum. Look for people living on communes, those hitch hiking across the country, basically anyone that values adventure more than monetary advancement.
Have a business of some sort they can all work at to generate funds, while you do day sails to get everyone experienced. About a year or so then start travelling. Go
until the money runs out.
They can do as many cycles of that as they want, bringing new people in as needed.
If it works out send me a bottle of rum for the business plan)-|
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 02:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
I wouldn't even bother looking for people on a,sailing forum. Look for people living on communes, those hitch hiking across the country, basically anyone that values adventure more than monetary advancement.
Have a business of some sort they can all work at to generate funds, while you do day sails to get everyone experienced. About a year or so then start travelling. Go until the money runs out.
They can do as many cycles of that as they want, bringing new people in as needed.
If it works out send me a bottle of rum for the business plan)-|
I will. Thank you!
I think the potential interpersonal difficulties are still the main problem.
I will ask around my friends and aquaintances first. We'll see.
Old 14-10-2016, 04:45   #20

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Before you do a shared ownership boat, watch Judge Judy for a few episodes. If that doesn't frighten you enough to run away screaming, you probably need to watch some more.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 05:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Before you do a shared ownership boat, watch Judge Judy for a few episodes. If that doesn't frighten you enough to run away screaming, you probably need to watch some more.
Please, lord, no! Don't make me do that.
I remember an 80s movie called "Der Skipper" with a german dude taking on two ladies who end up killing him and themselves.

I've been on a (my) boat with an... incompatible individual already, and it turned out nightmarish. This is why I keep pondering about the actual viability of such an idea. I think it might be difficult with friends, or friends of friends, but with strangers, it becomes unpredictable. It kinda hinges on who is interested and will be on board eventually.

Anyway, it wouldn't be shared ownership, but rather long term "charter" as someone here pointed out.

Maybe it's time to forget this idea and just buy a bigger boat for myself.
Old 30-11-2016, 05:34   #22

You could plant Go Pros around the boat, film it all, and sell it to The Travel Channel if it's successful, or to MTV if it's a bunch of conflicts and pouting.

I'm only half kidding.

I love these kinds of ideas - thinking differently. I don't see the travelers much differently than those wanting to backpack through Europe only it's over water. Having the boat to live on makes almost every continent a possibility.

The business apsects are the easy part once you understand the legalities. Obviously you would need to manage the interpersonal stuff. It's easy to see issues there, even the group breaking into cliques and battling. People are weird. You would need travelers who can roll with alot and not take it personally.

I think the only way to know if it would work at sea would be to live together before leaving, maybe even on the boat itself.

Frankly, I'm envious. Growing up before the internet, I never knew opportunities like this existed or could even be explored.
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 06:59   #23

Boat: O'Day 302
Shareholder model

The key is you need income to keep rolling in even though you're not working. In your 30s that won't be from social security or a pension or anything like that so you need to figure out alternatives. Things like: landlording, owning a business with employees that can run it with you not there, online business, work you can do from any location, etc...
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model