Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 09:41   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Selling a boat from afar (Canada)

How does one go about selling one's sailboat when you can't be there to manage the sale?

Backing up... these Covid-19 years (yes, years!) have got me thinking about where I really should be in Canada, and how best to get there. Without getting into my personal details (which I've already whinged about elsewhere ), I'm pondering the idea of selling our beloved Rafiki-37 on the east coast, so I can then buy something similar on the west coast.

I guess the answer is obvious: contract a local broker. But given that this boat is also my only home, it requires, at very least, the removal of a lot of personal items and equipment. And while the boat is in good shape, it will require a fair bit of spit and polish to bring it up to something that will show well in a sales ad. I just can't see how to manage this remotely without spending a fortune. The boat isn't worth a fortune...

I'm just wondering if anyone has done such a thing, and if you have any thoughts or tips. To be clear, I'm only pondering this right now. Just considering my options.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:21   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Selling a boat from afar (Canada)

So in review, and I am trying to recall, are you living on the boat now? Or near the boat? Seems like you are not otherwise the question wouldn't make sense. In short, the answer is "Get a Broker".
Old 04-10-2021, 12:31   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Why not do the northwest passage? you get your boat on the west coast and an adventure at the same time!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:37   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Oh, Mike. I’m so sorry to hear that you are in the position of thinking about selling your much loved Rafiki. I can understand the desire to sail on the west coast and I wish you well in making that happen, yet I can feel your torment in this decision making. I do not have any wisdom to offer you about selling a boat from afar. I hope you can find a trusted friend to go to the boat and remove your personal belongings and who can oversee getting her into showroom shape for you. At times such as this I keep telling myself it is just stuff. Truly, that only helps a little.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:39   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

Mike, is my understanding that you can now travel to NL incorrect? If you can, then you could go and start the unloading process, and talk to broker(s).

Winter is coming, especially soon for NL. (I've been once, in late September... winter was clearly coming then.) What the chances anyone would be looking to buy in NL November thru April?

Of course, out here in coastal BC, one can buy/sell any time of the year. Do you have the wherewithal to purchase here before selling in NL?

Whatever, best of luck!

[This thread is also covid-Canada related/relevant.]
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 13:45   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Mike, have you considered trucking her across the country? It is expensive, but removes the issues that plague you now, keeps you in the boat you love and removes a big set of hassles (but introduces a few others).

Good luck with it all...

Jim
Old 04-10-2021, 14:39   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike,

Selling a boat in Lewisporte will be tough. Simply the remoteness from major markets will effect price, perhaps a lot. Selling outside of summer tourist season will be worse.

Why would someone not from The Rock want to buy a sailboat there unless to sail The Rock, or Greenland. That is a tiny market.

Basically your sale window is shut for this year, unless you sell for a deep discount.

So wait for next year and see what that brings. Then you have some options.
1-Put the boat up for sale in spring, say April, and get some marketing going.
2-If things look like they are easing then keep the boat.
3-If it doesn’t sell by June then sail it South to a better market or
4-Hire a delivery Captain to sail her South, but this may eat all advantage.

Tough choices but I don’t think you are in a position to rush it with advantage.

My condolences for your position. It really sucks.

We have been fortunate in our circumstances and are not as pressed as you for various reasons. Not only do we have the second Southern boat but also we have a deeper familial committment to NL which can not be broken. Doris loves the place and has been adopted by my family. In fact they prefer her to me, but I got over that. LOL

What ever happens good luck. I still desire to spend some more time together and fix a few more of the humanities problems.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 14:43   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mike, have you considered trucking her across the country? It is expensive, but removes the issues that plague you now, keeps you in the boat you love and removes a big set of hassles (but introduces a few others).

Good luck with it all...

Jim

I was having similar thoughts. If he'd be looking to just buy almost the same thing over again on the other side of the country, it might just make sense to get the current boat trucked.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 14:55   #9

Thanks everyone. It has taken me some time to work up the gumption to even consider the idea. And it's still just an idea. I'm really just trying to see if it's even worth considering.

GreenWave: Yes, getting a broker seems to be the obvious answer. But as I wrote, it's a little more complicated than that (at least I think it is). The other complication is where the boat currently is; a fairly remote part of a very remote area (central east coast of Newfoundland). Brokers are few and potential buyers are even fewer.

pcmm: Don't even joke about the NW Passage. We're considered it, and continue to consider it. It gets more viable with each passing year, but it's still a major undertaking, and while I love the Rafiki, she's definitely not designed as a high lattutudes sailor. Still...

Tayana42: Thanks for feeling my pain . It will break my heart to leave the gal behind. This is part of the problem. At this point I can't see finding a replacement that would tick as many boxes. But I know this is an emotional response. My head tells me otherwise, even while my heart is going "LaLaLa... I can't hear you" .

Pelagia: Yes, I can go to NL, but for a number of reasons (not least of which is financial), I'm probably not going to do so until the Spring. I wasn't even thinking about timing, but your point is well taken that realistically nothing can happen till the warm months of 2022.

As for buying on the west coast; we could do it before selling, although this would severely stretch our meagre nest egg. But if the right deal came up... yes.

Sadly yes, it is Covid related.

Jim/rslifkin: Yes, I've thought about it. Problem is cost. The price to ship a boat from on coast to the other would be exorbitant. It would be a significant portion of the full value of the boat. I just can't justify that one. But you're right that it would sooth the emotional side of the equation.

Howard: I was hoping you'd chime in. I think your assessment is correct, and I like your plan. I have to stress, I'm not moving on any of this fast. I may not sell at all. It wasn't in the cards before, but with this continued pandemic, I'm beginning to take stock of life moving forward. As much as I adore Newfoundland and the Maritimes, I really think for our lifestyle (me and my partner), the west coast is a smarter place to be.

And yes... we have many more cockpit chats in our future. I'm sure of that.
Old 04-10-2021, 17:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Jim/rslifkin: Yes, I've thought about it. Problem is cost. The price to ship a boat from on coast to the other would be exorbitant. It would be a significant portion of the full value of the boat. I just can't justify that one. But you're right that it would sooth the emotional side of the equation.
Don't forget that even if you were to sell the boat and buy another if the same, it'll cost time and money to get it to where you're happy with it. Plus broker commission on a remote sale. In my mind, that alone makes at least getting transport quotes worthwhile. If it's not over standard height when loaded for transport, the cost shouldn't be too horrific with a 12 foot beam. That's right about the point where the costs start to go up a lot.
Old 04-10-2021, 17:50   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41

It's a long long way to ship a boat. Over 500km winding 2-lane highway just to get to a ferry from Newfoundland. Then the ferry to the mainland. Then 6400 km to Vancouver (via USA). Can't be cheap.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 18:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
It's a long long way to ship a boat. Over 500km winding 2-lane highway just to get to a ferry from Newfoundland. Then the ferry to the mainland. Then 6400 km to Vancouver (via USA). Can't be cheap.
That first bit makes me think it would probably make more sense to have it moved a bit closer by water before loading on a truck.
Old 04-10-2021, 18:23   #13

As pelagia says, it's a long way across this mighty land. Over 7000 km, crossing nine provinces or a bunch of states, all with different road allowances and conditions.

Back in 2014, as we were beginning our cruising life, I did investigate trucking our boat from Thunder Bay, Ontario out to the west coast. Quotes I got at that time came in around the $12,000 mark. This is less than 1/2 the distance of what I now face, so I'm guesstimating the cost would be upwards of $25k -- probably more, given inflation. This is a significant portion of the value of the boat.

Realistically, the only way I can see moving our boat to the west coast is to sail it. And while the NW Passage is getting less crazy with each passing year, it's still for the wildly adventurous. So I think our only real route is south and then back up around (probably with a tack out to Hawaii and then back).
Old 04-10-2021, 18:26   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Now you are talking.

I have a weekend free in August if you need crew. LOL
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 20:27   #15

Quote: