Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 21:10   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Selling a boat from afar (Canada)

Quote:
Jim/rslifkin: Yes, I've thought about it. Problem is cost. The price to ship a boat from on coast to the other would be exorbitant. It would be a significant portion of the full value of the boat. I just can't justify that one. But you're right that it would sooth the emotional side of the equation.
Sorry to hear this quandary is upon you, Mike.

It was just not the emotional side that is the problem. Remote sale, especially if you had to hire someone to clean out the boat would become very costly. And shipping your stuff to you that would require packing up and shipping would be costly as well as triaging and packing, plus the question of is trust possible in these circumstances? It might be in Canada, but I don't know if there's anywhere where you could trust it to be done frugally and expeditiously without you on scene. (WA idea: Wondering if you could get a job on a freighter to Newfoundland, as cook or deckie? Nice to be paid for going.)

When our first Insatiable was for sale, we had already bought this boat, and we were in e-mail communication with the broker who was to sell the previous boat for us. It took far too long (18 months), and we had already emptied the boat and done what we thought needed doing (some cosmetics to increase her appeal). And our guy didn't cheat us.

If you can get the travel worked out with the Covid travel restrictions and the hurricane and winter seasons, on her bottom, will allow you to keep your remaining treasures, and stuff you need on a boat to live, provide an adventure, even if it is done as a series of deliveries, which, while not the funnest way to cruise, is at least time on the water. I would think in favorable conditions, you'd make about 140/day.

Are people in BC allowed to use their boats? In Tasmania, people who are quarantining were expected to stay at their house, not go out on their boats. [This restriction has been lifted, but may be reinstated for them following weekend's breech of quarantine in the north.] I think we need to stay aware, the Covid conditions may offer some changes, too; depending on what happens with new mutations, as well as to completing present ones.

Good luck with it, mate, it's a tough one.

Ann
Old 04-10-2021, 21:30   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

It's a tough choice. Financially you'll take a beating, so you needep to be pretty committed. Given the financial hit, you might findbthat the shipping costs to the west coast are actually less.To sell the boat in NF will require offering a discount. I know, I bought my current boat in Cape Bretton at a pre-covid time you couldn't find an open hotel.
Let me throw out a few numbers to get a handle on costs.
Someone to empty your boat and ship goods back: $2,000
Brokers fee: $8,000
Paint, varnish, clean: $2,500
Discount below market to get someone to look in NF: $10-15,000
Cost to setup the new purchase on the west coast to the fit of your current boat: $10-20,000
Cost of paying closer to full price on the west coast for the new boat in a sellers market: ?

That's $32,500-47,500 all up versus shipping at $20-30,000.

Just some numbers to play with.
Old 04-10-2021, 22:46   #18

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I think you know the options are are being hopeful asking for ideas.

Wrong time of year.

When we were shopping for a Corbin 39 those way up north consistently asked less- and some sat on YW a few years.

Best bet if you can swing it is sail it to Massachusetts or Anapolis come spring.

NE Canada + winter = fire sale.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mike, have you considered trucking her across the country? It is expensive, but removes the issues that plague you now, keeps you in the boat you love and removes a big set of hassles (but introduces a few others).

Good luck with it all...

Jim
I wonder if this is feasible given the required ferry ride. I've seen some odd loads on the ferry to the mainland but never a boat.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:45   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We trucked Roxy, 58 LOA, 40 tons, 15-8 beam from Ft Lauderdale to West Michigan. It can be done.

Other options other than selling:
Sail through Panama either yourself or a delivery captain.
Sail south and truck over Mexico

It seems like a well documented budget might compare trucking and selling as closer than you think.

I thought you were talking about visiting the Caribbean anyway.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:37   #21

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Mike, I think sailing via the Panama Canal is a reasonable alternative. You would want to be in the Chesapeake Bay by October and then work your way south to get to Florida by December. This would give you time to get your boat back in shape and even spend some time in Newfoundland. From Florida I would go into the Bahamas and through the Windward Passage and on to the canal. Not that familiar with best time to head up to BC but I assume you want to get there by August. I think the timing works well. A long journey but eminently doable with lots of interesting spots on the way.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:40   #22

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks everyone. It has taken me some time to work up the gumption to even consider the idea. And it's still just an idea. I'm really just trying to see if it's even worth considering.

GreenWave: Yes, getting a broker seems to be the obvious answer. But as I wrote, it's a little more complicated than that (at least I think it is). The other complication is where the boat currently is; a fairly remote part of a very remote area (central east coast of Newfoundland). Brokers are few and potential buyers are even fewer.

pcmm: Don't even joke about the NW Passage. We're considered it, and continue to consider it. It gets more viable with each passing year, but it's still a major undertaking, and while I love the Rafiki, she's definitely not designed as a high lattutudes sailor. Still...

Tayana42: Thanks for feeling my pain . It will break my heart to leave the gal behind. This is part of the problem. At this point I can't see finding a replacement that would tick as many boxes. But I know this is an emotional response. My head tells me otherwise, even while my heart is going "LaLaLa... I can't hear you" .

Pelagia: Yes, I can go to NL, but for a number of reasons (not least of which is financial), I'm probably not going to do so until the Spring. I wasn't even thinking about timing, but your point is well taken that realistically nothing can happen till the warm months of 2022.

As for buying on the west coast; we could do it before selling, although this would severely stretch our meagre nest egg. But if the right deal came up... yes.

Sadly yes, it is Covid related.

Jim/rslifkin: Yes, I've thought about it. Problem is cost. The price to ship a boat from on coast to the other would be exorbitant. It would be a significant portion of the full value of the boat. I just can't justify that one. But you're right that it would sooth the emotional side of the equation.

Howard: I was hoping you'd chime in. I think your assessment is correct, and I like your plan. I have to stress, I'm not moving on any of this fast. I may not sell at all. It wasn't in the cards before, but with this continued pandemic, I'm beginning to take stock of life moving forward. As much as I adore Newfoundland and the Maritimes, I really think for our lifestyle (me and my partner), the west coast is a smarter place to be.

And yes... we have many more cockpit chats in our future. I'm sure of that.
Who's Kidding!! Ever since I saw the youtube channel "Yacht Teleport" do it in 2012 in a 29ft junk rigged Jester style boat. Its very doable! If you're going to spend the money getting your boat to the west coast, YOU might as well enjoy the trip.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:44   #23

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Hey Mike,
So sorry to hear this story but agree the west coast (of Canada!) will be a more pleasant place to be at - especially in the winters. The others here suggested all the right things, so can’t add much, but if you can sail the girl down to Toronto area, wouldn’t it be a better place to deal with the sale — or maybe hear about a trucking opportunity in a reasonable cost?
Mike, you are still my hero! Wishing you all the best. Please keep us posted.
—Nitzan/DeValency
Old 05-10-2021, 06:48   #24

Boat: S2 9.1

Hi Mike, as some have said, the hard part is you are on the "Rock". Even so I would contact several trucking companies and let them know what your needs are, and give them a wide window of opportunity. Someone will have a boat that needs to come here form the West coast so yours could share the round trip. These companies have trucks going all over North America. It is worth the call. If you could some how sail it to the main land it would be much more feasible obviously.

Good luck
Gary
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:13   #25

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Are people in BC allowed to use their boats?

Ann
A little off topic...
Ann,
Here in British Columbia (BC), we have never been restricted from using our boats. There was a travel restriction from approx November to early June 2021, where you had to stay within your health region. This meant those living on Vancouver Island could sail essentially anywhere around the island, a huge cruising area, including most of Desolation Sound and all of the Broughtons. Those of us in Vancouver-Coastal health region could only cruise the mainland up to Malaspina Inlet (including a small part of Desolation Sound). Many cruisers ignored this restriction (including friends), as it was not enforced for boaters. (We were good and stayed within rules.)

No restrictions from early June onwards.

Back to Mike's problem....
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:43   #26

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the warm thoughts. And yes, you are all confirming what I knew... that there's no easy scenario, at least not one that doesn't lead to a financial bath. I guess I was hoping there was something I'd not thought of.

I do appreciate the hard number comparisons. This does make trucking, especially from a mainland locale, more viable. I have no problem sailing over to the east coast somewhere. I could even go back up to Lake Ontario, or even beyond, although I'd rather not do that.

Plan A has always been to linger in Newfoundland and the Maritimes for some time, then slowly make our way south and around through the Panama. And by slowly, I mean over the span of many years. I just can't see us racing through all that wonderful area. You've read my signature line, right ?

Like I say, I have no definite plans right now. Maybe I'll try as Hpeer suggested; just put it up for sale at a price I want. If I luck out and find a buyer, then great. If not, then take it off the market and proceed as normal. My boat is already a niche market vessel. There are few who want this kind of traditional, smallish, bluewater boat. Anyone considering this kind of boat is already a motivated buyer, so maybe...

In the meantime I can try and get shipping quotes. And maybe global warming will really kick into high gear and the NW Passage will become less crazy (pcmm ).
Old 05-10-2021, 09:00   #27

Boat: Sceptre 41

Mike, also consider shipping on a freighter.

Contact Andrew Utley of Raven Shipping (Canadian, in Sidney BC).

info@ravenmarine.ca
https://www.ravenmarine.ca/yacht-shipping
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:22   #28

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Mike, it seems everyone agrees with your assessment that where your boat is now represents the biggest part of your problem. I’m sure you’ve thought about where would be a better location to relocate her for sale. What are your thoughts about location and how/ when would you get her there?
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

1. As pelagia says, it's a long way across this mighty land. >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2. Realistically, the only way I can see moving our boat to the west coast is to sail it. And while the NW Passage is getting less crazy with each passing year, it's still for the wildly adventurous. So I think our only real route is south and then back up around (probably with a tack out to Hawaii and then back).

1. Do I hear shades of the Canadian Railroad Trilogy there?

2. I agree, but Hawaii? Not necessarily. You might have seen my oft-posted link to my log of motoring up to BC from San Francisco in 2016. I have also offered to many my copy of an old Cruising World article called the Baja Dash, instead of Bash, of how to get up the coast from Cabo to San Diego harbor hopping. The sail from San Diego to San Francisco is "routine." Timing is best to depart SF in earliest August to minimize NW wind possibilities, per George Benson. Just some thoughts to keep your mind in the right place. Right place = left coast?!?

I know how painful and difficult this process can be. I think you've gotten the best range of possibilities from all your friends here.

All the best,
Stu
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:44   #30

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Hi Mike,
My Gawd, what a quandry. I really don't have much to offer or say. I've been through the Northwest Passage (not on Scorpius: on a mini-icebreaker as part of the RCMP's "Voyage of Rediscovery in 2000) and I'm not sure I'd try it in one of our cruising sailboats - although certainly it's been done. Check out Morgane who we encountered during our cruising summer 2020:

Le bateau - Morgane & the Big Blue

Of course you'd still have to enter the States (which we currently still can't do) to get past Alaska.

Sail her to Duluth (by the time you get there, a year from now, maybe the US will be open), then truck her here? I trucked Scorpius from Tampa, Florida to Vancouver (many years ago) and the cost wasn't horrendous. The trick is to take your time and find a backhaul or some such thing.

Sail her to Panama and get Dockwise or one of those guys to bring her up to Vancouver?

If I were in a similar situation, I would HATE to have to sell Scorpius on one coast only to buy another boat on the other. I've just been with her too long, and there is too much customization to my taste to give her up. I'd literally go to the ends of the earth (and that's what we're talking about here) to bring her across.

If I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask. This is the kind of adventure I live for (see Northwest Passage above). And I've got a lot more time than a weekend.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Canada