Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2019, 13:59   #1

Seeking warm water and Sun

Hi all,

I am new to this site and realistically have about 2 months sailing experience. I am an ex-professional handyman and have owned a number of motor-cruisers and commercial fishing boats up to 42 feet over the years.

I am 53 years old, in good health and so tired of Canadian winters.

My question is... what is the easiest cheapest way I can sail and live in a warm climate? I have about $50,000 to my credit and owe nothing.
Where can I go and how do I get started? I still think I need to work as I am sure I will chew through 50 k pretty fast if I don't. I am willing to do almost anything but it is important to me that I live a healthy lifestyle... eg... eat a good nutritious diet, am on a good and safe boat..., not getting into something that could be dangerous or involved with others that I shouldn't.

Any input regarding this would be appreciated very much. I am very ready to listen.

Thank you

Tre4
Seahorse66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 14:06   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3
Re: Seeking warm water and Sun

If your skills translate to boat service, you can set up shop in sunny Florida and do quite well working on yachts; while you're at it, you will come across someone who will sell their boat to you at a good price. All you have to do is show up on time (sober is a plus), do a good job, and be honest; the world will beat a path to your door, or should I say carve through the waves to your companionway.

I wish you well.

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 14:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
If your skills translate to boat service, you can set up shop in sunny Florida and do quite well working on yachts; while you're at it, you will come across someone who will sell their boat to you at a good price. All you have to do is show up on time (sober is a plus), do a good job, and be honest; the world will beat a path to your door, or should I say carve through the waves to your companionway.

I wish you well.

Leo
Thank you for the message.
I unfortunately do not have a green card to work in the US so working would probably be out.
My experience working on boats is very much self taught and a youtube expert although I have been told I do nice work... I think caring about what you do is as important as having many of the tickets and credentials
Seahorse66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 04:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tre4.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 09:52   #5

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse66 View Post
I unfortunately do not have a green card to work in the US so working would probably be out.
My experience working on boats is very much self taught and a youtube expert although I have been told I do nice work... I think caring about what you do is as important as having many of the tickets and credentials
Perhaps you should tell us a bit more about yourself and about your objectives. Language skills. Citizenship. Visa possibilities. Job and personal skills. Travel experiences or family connections in other countries. Whatever that makes some options work better than others. As you note, $50k with no boat and no job won't stretch too far.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 10:01   #6

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Cheapest is in the tropics, English speaking Philippines, through PRA (Philippine Retirement Authority) obtain a SRRV visa that entitles you to work selfemployed. Skilled boatrepair is still something sought-after, jack of all trade, knowing nothing abundant, often cheap yachts to live on found same with apartments, price goes with your demand. Just an idea.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 10:07   #7

maybe look for work on a foreign flagged charter boat

but I'm not sure that's allowed if you're playing by the rules, or even who's rules you'll have to play by
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 10:32   #8

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse66 View Post

I am 53 years old, in good health and so tired of Canadian winters.

My question is... what is the easiest cheapest way I can sail and live in a warm climate?
Any input regarding this would be appreciated very much. I am very ready to listen.

Thank you

Tre4
PM sent
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 10:34   #9

Boat: Flicka 20

Use your capital and buy a good used West Sail 32. Find a good marina and make friends. People are always looking for people to do small jobs and they pay cash. Don’ Worry about papers.

CaptainJohn49
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 12:31   #10

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJohn49 View Post
Use your capital and buy a good used West Sail 32. Find a good marina and make friends. People are always looking for people to do small jobs and they pay cash. Don’ Worry about papers.

CaptainJohn49
Spot on ! Green card smreencard, don’t worry about it, as Captain John says, plenty of cash jobs available in marinas. The fact that you are willing to work puts you head and shoulders ahead of what’s out there for the most part. Go for it!
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 12:49   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Mexico
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 14:44   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
Mexico

For THAT you will need papers. You will obviously be foreign, and in all but the most remote places, locals will see what you are doing. That said, there are a few boatyards with fully legal foreign workers on their staffs.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 15:16   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
For THAT you will need papers. You will obviously be foreign, and in all but the most remote places, locals will see what you are doing. That said, there are a few boatyards with fully legal foreign workers on their staffs.
If there is a will there is a way. If everybody followed the rules to the letter most would never leave. If you want to be perfectly safe then stay at home. Lots of Canadians staying in Mexico as well as many other places. They manage to make it happen.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 15:55   #14

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Go to the Caribbean and work part time full time for yacht charter companies. They would kick their chops to have a tradesman. Hot summers and wonderful winters. Lots of boats to be head for a reasonable price.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 16:06   #15

Sun? Great sailing? Rational locals. Opportunity a-plenty. Entertaining politics? Try NZ or Australia.
However, you have not mentioned family. Therein lays the most important determinant.

My family actually encouraged me to leave home. Can't work out why.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water