Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2008, 04:06   #106

Boat: K20+, SII
Excellent! The photo of Wayluya dried out above brought a wry smile this dull Tuesday... at the first glance it looks like they've gone and put a 'no waiting' line on the harbour bed!
All it needs now is the little yellow 'Mon-Sat 8am-6pm' sign on the wall!

(OK, I know it's the rail on top of the wall creating the illusion but at first glance when the Seadog takes your eye... ??)

https://www.kyoa.org.uk/

Kingfisher Yacht Owners association

stevelxls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 08:32   #107

Boat: n/a yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluissa View Post
I'm 21, and I've been going to school for the past 15 years. I feel like it's about time to just call it quits and go sailing. Unfortunately after college I'm still supposed to get a job. Before that I'll probably spend a month or two(or more if I can manage) doing the low budget cruising similar to what's mentioned in this thread.

David: Not everywhere has tides like you do up in the UK. Where I am, even at the most extremes, discounting hurricanes, there's never more than about a 2 foot difference between the highest high tide and the lowest low tide. You might be able to get to most of the bottom of my boat if you were to ground it on the highest spring high tide of summer, wait till winter, and do your work on the spring low tides of winter, but I know of few people patient enough to sit in one spot for 6 months just to deal with bottom paint or something. It'd be quicker just to travel to some area like yours that has the necessary tidal range. Or, more likely, just find a cheap marina and pay the haulout fees.
I'm jumping ahead of myself but to enlighten you to hope...right now in St. Pete we have 6' title swings... Could be enough to beach in a protected area. You've got to have similar up there...
Macopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 16:38   #108

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
sorry to say, but nope. Most we've had lately was about a 1.2 foot tide, and that was on a spring tide.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 16:44   #109
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macopa View Post
I'm jumping ahead of myself but to enlighten you to hope...right now in St. Pete we have 6' title swings... Could be enough to beach in a protected area. You've got to have similar up there...
Tides are an odd thing. You'd assume the farther north you got, the larger the tides, right?

I had 4-5ft tides in Georgia or SC somewhere and only a couple feet in Morehead City, NC, which is right on the open Atlantic with a large inlet channel to feed in the water.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 03:12   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The largest tidal ranges in the world occur in the Bay of Fundy (more exactly Minas Basin) and in Ungava Bay (more exactly Leaf Basin) on the East Coast of Canada, where you can observe a 16 to 17 metre (53 - 56 foot) tidal range.

Tidal ranges in the Bay of Fundy and Ungava Bay are the highest in the world because of an unusual combination of resonance (or seiche) and the shape of the bay.

The Bay of Fundy and Ungava Bay are "V" shaped, so that water entering at their wide mouth at the open ocean end is funneled into less and less space as it moves into the head of the bays and the water can only pile up and form a large tide.

The water in the Bay of Fundy and Ungava Bay also has a natural rocking motion called a seiche. You could compare this to the movement of water in a bathtub. Although the water in a bathtub sloshes from one end to the other and back again in a few seconds, it takes about 13 hours for the water in the bays to rock from the mouth of the bays to the head of the bays and back again. The Atlantic ocean tide rising and flooding into the bay every 12 hours and 25 minutes reinforces the rocking motion. The seiche in the Bay of Fundy and Ungava Bay are therefore sustained by a pulse from the ocean tides.

Other places in the world have large tides: the Port of Bristol in England (10 m, 33'); the Sea of Okhotsk northeast of Japan (10 m); Turnagain Arm in Alaska (12 m, 38'); the Gulf of St. Malo in France (14 m, 46').

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 03:32   #111
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Other places in the world have large tides: the Port of Bristol in England (10 m, 33'); the Sea of Okhotsk northeast of Japan (10 m); Turnagain Arm in Alaska (12 m, 38'); the Gulf of St. Malo in France (14 m, 46').
I guess "Gulf of St Malo" kinda covers us...but tide ranges here from approx 26 foot (very small) to 42 foot (very big), with the tidal streams to match.

Plusses and minuses of course, but at least half the time you can see what you don't want to hit or usually sail over.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 05:56   #112

Boat: n/a yet...
How crazy!! I bet it's quite the trip to see tidal swings that large. I suppose that complicates dropping anchor quite a bit...
Macopa is offline   Reply With Quote