Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 08:34   #1

Replace a counter

Hello,

My question might seem a little weird, but can we replace a Formica surface for something heavier, like marble? I wondered if there were materials to avoid when renovating a small cabin.

Currently, I have a small countertop covered with a high pressure laminate surface and would like to go to a more noble surface, such as marble or granite. What do you think?

Some of you did it?
NathalieBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 13:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Replace a counter

I think it depends on how much area are you talking about and of course type of boat.
Some are more weight sensitive than others, but yes granite, marble and tile I have seen done. I think all the time about granite in our Galley myself, but likely will never do it because of the fridge opening.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 13:38   #3
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Replace a counter

I love the idea of marble or granite but as noted above it would not be possible throughout. I've seriously been considering the following, not necessarily this product but can be done with west systems or similar and pigments just as easy:
It wouldnt take much to do and could leave the fiddling in place, tape then hit with clear coat to match new surface depth.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 15:09   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Use a synthetic material like Corian instead. It's a bit lighter, bit tougher and cuts with regular tools.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 14:55   #5

Boat: Catalina 22

The problem with any solid surface material is finding someone to sell you a piece of it. Unless you are willing to pay for custom countertop installation, no one will sell it to you. Believe me I tried! Finally gave up and just did the Formica thing.
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 15:29   #6

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast View Post
The problem with any solid surface material is finding someone to sell you a piece of it. Unless you are willing to pay for custom countertop installation, no one will sell it to you. Believe me I tried! Finally gave up and just did the Formica thing.
Call around at some local cabinet makers. They may have offcuts and cut outs lying around they'll sell real cheap. Samsung also manufacture a corian like material called "Staron" which may be easier to source.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 16:16   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

You might want to take a look at the SpreadStone Countertop Finishing Kit by Daisch Products. To see how this looks on a yacht see Ocean Angel--Major Projects.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 17:29   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I could post pictures.. I replaced our solid surface countertops with stainless. It has been fantastic for the last 2 years.. Sure it scratches, but doesn't look bad.

Easy and affordable.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 17:46   #9

Boat: Knysna 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast View Post
This is no longer the case. Corian Countertops | Discount Solid Surface Sheets will sell directly to the consumer. We picked out our product by visiting some big box stores and were able to order from them. Even better for a small project they have an overstock and partial sheet section at some pretty decent savings.

Be sure you take care to remove the current counter so you can use it as a template.
BillsWife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 23:26   #10

Boat: Kristen 52

I bought a sheet of Corian from https://solidsurface.com/
to replace the countertop on my boat.
You can use wood cutting tools.

Cheers