Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 12:16   #1

Renaming Questions

My hubby and I are in the process of buying a boat and we've just decided on the perfect name for her (her original name just doesn't suit us). I've read a ton of info about not angering the gods but I've got a few logistical questions that no one seems to address.

We're going to be registering her federally as soon as next week and at that time we figure we'll have to give them her new name. But we don't plan on physically changing the name on her hull and doing the ceremony for a few months out. She needs extensive work and we'll do the changing process when we haul her out for bottom work this winter, possibly later.

So the question is - is it bad luck to change the name federally months before physically changing the name? Will it anger the gods if we refer to her by her new name before physically changing it? (I do not plan on bringing the new name on board until the old name is off.)

Or do we just go through the renaming process with the feds after we physically change it? How hard is that?

Thanks for the help! I am superstitious so I want to do this right. She will be taking us across the Pacific and beyond; our experience buying her has had some pitfalls so I'd like to build a good relationship with this boat and erase the bad juju.
galleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 12:22   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Renaming Questions

I hope its not bad luck, because that is exactly what we had to do. I think the key is extra really nice libations for Neptune and the Winds.

Here's our renaming story: Our Life with Ceol Mor: Boxing Day Renaming Ceremony
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 13:00   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If it's fiberglass you have No problems!! if it's wood theres a long simple process and most any Old Timer in your area will know it !! have fun with your new to you boat !!
Old 26-08-2012, 14:13   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Welcome to forum Galleygirl.

Just make sure you break some (cheap) sparkling wine over the bow and drink some (expensive) champagne during the renaming ceremony and the nautical gods will always smile on you.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 15:04   #5

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Congrats on the new boat!

Legally you can't change the name on the Documentation (registration) and leave the old name on the boat. The name and hailing port displayed on the vessel have to match the name and hailing port on the Documentation Certificate.

It is like using the wrong license plate on your car.

You can document the boat now under the old name and when you ready, change it with the USCG for a fee of about $75.

For more information go to the USCG National Documentation Web Site

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 15:25   #6

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

I changed the name on my boat when I bought it almost 2 years ago. It won't be documented until I'm ready to drop her in the water. Like's been said earlier: It's fiberglass and the gods don't care.
The previous 2 names my boat had didn't even seem like boat names. One ment "forest". Like that has anything to do with the ocean or cruising.
Previous post is correct, though, the name and port on the boat must match the paperwork.
Have fun with your new boat ... I'm sure having fun with mine, and mine isn't even in the water yet.
Old 26-08-2012, 15:26   #7

Boat: Heritage East 40
I had the same issue. Our solution was to report her in as her name was on the hull. We didn't allow any reference to her new name until we received the "traveling papers" and we're not going to operate her. We then did a name change decommission ceremony and recommission.

The key take away is its okay to call her by her current name until you do a ceremony.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 15:27   #8

Boat: Heritage East 40
There is a reasonable grace period. Besides it takes the USCG guys in WV at least 2 months to complete the paper work.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 15:41   #9

They never , ever check if you've done the nubers or name change..... until you are boarded at sea anyway!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 16:42   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Why is it that when someone quotes the law, someone else always says something about bending or ignoring it? Just because you didn't get a ticket, it is still illegal to run a stop sign.

There is no grace period for a name change, the boat documentation has to match the name on the hull or it is illegal. You also can't legally change the vessel name until the USCG has approved it... For further information refer to US Code of Federal Regulations Title 46 - Paragraph 67.117

The USCG Documentation Center is taking 30-60 days to process the paperwork, but you will be issued a Traveling Letter from the Marine Title Company with the boat name on it and again it has to match the name on the hull.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 16:57   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleygirl View Post
My hubby and I are in the process of buying a boat and we've just decided on the perfect name for her (her original name just doesn't suit us). I've read a ton of info about not angering the gods but I've got a few logistical questions that no one seems to address.

We're going to be registering her federally as soon as next week and at that time we figure we'll have to give them her new name. But we don't plan on physically changing the name on her hull and doing the ceremony for a few months out. She needs extensive work and we'll do the changing process when we haul her out for bottom work this winter, possibly later.

So the question is - is it bad luck to change the name federally months before physically changing the name? Will it anger the gods if we refer to her by her new name before physically changing it? (I do not plan on bringing the new name on board until the old name is off.)

Or do we just go through the renaming process with the feds after we physically change it? How hard is that?

Thanks for the help! I am superstitious so I want to do this right. She will be taking us across the Pacific and beyond; our experience buying her has had some pitfalls so I'd like to build a good relationship with this boat and erase the bad juju.
As long as you are on the hard stand Neptune will not be displeased.

Neptune keeps the roll of boats and names and in his realm he must know all the boats and creatures. If you are on the hard he doesn't care.

The renaming ceremony attached is a lot off fun. We stopped short at sacrificing virgins but we did pass a 3-year old over the bow 3 times. We spilled plenty of red wine and finished with champagne.

All good fun.

As for the Feds they can be stickier than Neptune.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007May 025.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	45609   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007May 032.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	45610  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2007May 033.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	45611  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf renamingceremony.pdf (302.3 KB, 90 views)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 17:24   #12

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

If you're staying in the marina/boatyard, I can't imagine a problem. But be sure to have a renaming ceremony offering a sacrifice to the gods.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 17:29   #13

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I personally don't care what mumbo jumbo anyone wants to prescribe to a naming/renaming scenario, but I would suggest that you don't travel around until you've actually got the correct name and hailing port on the boat. That is absolutely the first thing the CG checks in a boarding/inspection. The name and hailing port are the official registration information, and it is just like driving around with the wrong license plate on your car. Been stopped and inspected by the CG 5 or 6 times.
Old 26-08-2012, 17:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Why is it that when someone quotes the law, someone else always says something about bending or ignoring it? Just because you didn't get a ticket, it is still illegal to run a stop sign.

There is no grace period for a name change, the boat documentation has to match the name on the hull or it is illegal. You also can't legally change the vessel name until the USCG has approved it... For further information refer to US Code of Federal Regulations Title 46 - Paragraph 67.117

The USCG Documentation Center is taking 30-60 days to process the paperwork, but you will be issued a Traveling Letter from the Marine Title Company with the boat name on it and again it has to match the name on the hull.
Just stating the reality, documented 7 boats in 30 years and never has anyone come to check, or even asked other than checking a box on the form. Frankly, I doubt they care when it gets done as long as it's done when you are on the water. If financing... your lender may care but they wont check either....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 18:12   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just stating the reality, documented 7 boats in 30 years and never has anyone come to check, or even asked other than checking a box on the form. Frankly, I doubt they care when it gets done as long as it's done when you are on the water. If financing... your lender may care but they wont check either....
Realistically, for a recreational vessel the USCG is probably not very concerned. Technically, if anthing does not match reality you are in violation, but as Cheechako says the storm troopers are not likely to impound your boat.

Lots of sailing lore about the correct superstitious conventions for renaming a boat. Could be fun to make a big production out of doing the full monty.

So, have you found a virgin to pee in the bilge yet?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote