Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 23:28   #1

Remote work

Hey guys, I perused quite a few pages of the make money while cruising thread and drew a blank on this particular question.

If a person does not want the headache of owning their own business, been there, done that, it is not for me.. but wishes to make an income while cruising.. what jobs and/or careers have people been doing?

I seen things like working remotely as a call center attendant for amazon, work from home travel agent etc.. but does anyone do any of it? What about these surveys you can do to make money or other online gimmicks, anyone have experience with them? Does any of it pay any good? I am really only looking to supplement my income possibly so 20-30hrs/wk to make 2k/mo come and go as i please, not restricted by schedules/demands.

Again it is work from home or well remote work I am looking at.. not dropshipping, no mlm's etc. I have ran the numbers, very good chance we will not "need" to work, but I like to have back up plans haha things rarely work as planned

Any rate any input?
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 00:30   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Remote work

Most are mainstream, liveaboard near work and commute, or already remote working before they lived on the boat.

Otherwise don't go full-timing until you're all set to retire, or cruise on sabbaticals or holidays as you can afford to take them, or live off savings a while then go back to work.

Actually earning a decent living while living aboard off-grid seems to be very rare in practice.

There is no one pat answer, will depend on your skills and interests.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:52   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Finding a low skill/common skill telecommuting job is going to put you into global labor pool (low wages).

I telecommuted for a number of years. It was based on a traditional job that me and the boss negotiated into a mobile job. I had a track record as a self starter. They got a discount on my salary. I got to move every couple years (California - Hawaii - Las Vegas - Mexico). It was the best work experience I ever had but unique situation. But hard to duplicate by just sending in a resume/doing an interview.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:08   #4
cruiser

Yes, best to build a rare and valued skillset capable of remote work,

build up in-person relationships with a network of customers / employers in your IRL community

And then leverage that into a mostly-remote income stream, but still get back for F2F meetings frequently to maintain those critical personal relationships.

And of course keep investing in keeping your skillset current, be ready to shift to new areas as things rapidly change. . .
Old 09-05-2019, 12:39   #5

Hey John, my intention is to be totally set up financially before I cast off so to speak.

I have looked at working my trade in other countries if needed as we travel and I will if I need to, because it pays well.

And regarding sabbaticals, I've asked for one, then leave of absences on two different occasions from different managers.. and even though they have guys laid off, i still have to work lol. Also it doesn't need to be "good" money, just something if it is needed. If finances are so bad I'd need real work to pay bills I'll eithe a) keep working or b) get a job in my field in anothe country.

RR
Old 09-05-2019, 12:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRailRoader View Post
Hey John, my intention is to be totally set up financially before I cast off so to speak.

I have looked at working my trade in other countries if needed as we travel and I will if I need to, because it pays well.

.................... or b) get a job in my field in anothe country.

RR
Good Luck getting legal work in a foreign country. You would need to really fly under the radar if you try to take jobs from locals.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 13:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Good Luck getting legal work in a foreign country. You would need to really fly under the radar if you try to take jobs from locals.
... what in the world is wrong with society if people inmediately assume a person will be doing things illegal and/or taking out of the locals pocket directly.

I am a qualified Conductor with a couple other tickets to boot. Australia, Arabia and a few other places are very heavily recruiting North American trained conductors and/or engineers. So I would simply get a work visa and go work for a bit and use Arabia, Australia or where have you as my base for a bit.

Also if I am not mistaken, I can work remotely and be employed by a company in Canada and not be taking cash out of the local economy. That is my intent here with a specifically titled thread. Unless I'm wrong?

RR
Old 09-05-2019, 15:31   #8
cruiser

Quote:
I have looked at working my trade in other countries if needed as we travel and I will if I need to, because it pays well
Best to start earning money long before you need to.

And make sure to get local knowledge on work permit issues from expats there, even longer before you need to.

Some places, just getting deported is the best case scenario.
Old 09-05-2019, 15:36   #9
cruiser

Quote:
I can work remotely and be employed by a company in Canada and not be taking cash out of the local economy.
Not in most places popular with foreigners. Any organized efforts require a work permit, often even volunteering, playing music in clubs open mic night, officials looking for bribes.

If only working over the internet, keep it to yourself, be ready to show 3-6 months expenses if asked, stay "just on holiday" to both locals and expats keep your mouth shut.
Old 09-05-2019, 15:38   #10
cruiser

Quote:
I am a qualified Conductor with a couple other tickets to boot. Australia, Arabia and a few other places are very heavily recruiting North American trained conductors and/or engineers.
If that is actually true, that's a good way to go, but need well trusted people to care for your property while away

Tags
remote