Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 07:09   #106

Re: Quit your job and live on a boat in the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Talking of the Lagoon 38 owners version - check out the postings on You Tube of the same boat called 'Honeymoon'. It might give you an insight on living / sailing on this boat.
Thank you Bulawayo. Yes, I've watched the whole series, and read Seth's blog. Very inspiring a story.
brn4adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 13:00   #107
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I wonder if the opening of Cuba to Americans will affect living costs in the other parts of the Caribbean. There's a lot of pent-up curiosity that could suck all the tourism bucks out of the other islands in the rush to see Cuba. Will this result in cheaper travel as the old tried 'n true cruising grounds try to hang onto business? Could be an interesting few years until things settle down.
Old 14-04-2015, 15:30   #108

When you get there you must try Barbuda it's the best kite spot. Best of luck I'll be sailing my yacht up there eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dannyround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 16:25   #109

Boat: a sailing boat

Or Bonaire, if you prefer stronger and more stable winds.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:28   #110

I envy you brn4adv.... you are in a much better financial situation than most....

if i were you, i'd already be gone... leaving the rat race of the south bay behind, enjoying the clear warm Caribbean waters, your biggest issue is which anchorage has the best sunset???

C'mon on, why havent you left yet!
wescraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 08:55   #111

Boat: 37C Hunter

To answer a couple of your questions: as mentioned in previous posts cost of living depends on what your "necessities" consist of as to how much it takes to live on a boat. We can live quite comfortably on $1500 a month (St. John is an expensive island), but there is always the unexpected repair or expense that comes up that needs to be factored in of course. We are pretty minimalistic when it comes to buying, eating out and such and this helps keep our costs down.

As far as hurricane season goes, we stay on our boat year round. When there is a named storm we move our boat over to Hurricane Hole (part of a National Monument, thus only open to anchoring during a named storm) which offers pretty good protection from approaching storms. Or if it's just a bit rough in our anchorage we'll move to a different location for a couple of days.

It's not fool proof (nothing is unfortunately) but as hauling out and leaving for half the year isn't an option it works for us. In the future we are looking at going down island through at least part of the hurricane season. Everyone has a different way of handling hurricane season, but this works for us.

For more information, check out my blog at www.mountainsandseashore.blogspot.com.

Happy sailing and wishing you all the best in your journey!

Camile
s/v Obsession
St. John, USVI
ObsessionSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib