Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2016, 17:30   #31

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Pros and cons to mooring in the philippines

What I Know about that is minimal. Navionics maps ofF shows possibilities but I would suggest hanging out there for awhile, talk to the local cruisers, travel with your boat and dinghy, and check it out.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 17:54   #32

Boat: Knight & Carver 75'

Every cruisers dream to have their own jetty and dock at your house.
Its possible in the provinces because you are dealing with local authorities who are more amenable for the right "Application Fee" but unlikely to get it past the bureaucracy around the major cities.
Having said that we have sold quite a number of floating docks including one 100Mtrs long so people are getting them approved.
Old 20-09-2016, 12:19   #33

thanks so much, both peter & doc. my plan as it stands now, is go for my yacht 1st, and get comfortable in a marina, maybe puerto galera. finding a good beachfront opportunity for a floating dock setup can happen anytime in the future.

however, in looking at beachfront possibilities, would anyone know generally how far i should be in the practice of anchoring, in terms of distance from a typhoon safe port? there may be instances that i'd be sailing into a storm, as i head towards a safe harbor, or maybe i don't want to be arriving late to a congested port in a typhoon? excuse me, for there's soooo much i need to learn, but it's just something that struck me, as i think about nearby provinces to explore for my own beachfront.
nuccifilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 19:35   #34

Puerto Galera does not have a Marina as such - the PGYC has about 30 swing moorings which are often full. Their anchorage has sustained many Typhoons with only minor damage as far as I am aware.
There is also anchorage areas in the same Bay but you will need to rely on your anchor. Holding is generally good in sand so wind is the only problem because there is no distance for any fetch to develop big waves.
If you were unlucky enough to drag the surrounding shallow areas are mostly sandy so survivable if you grounded.
Probably as good a spot to ride out a Typhoon as any.
PG is only 96 miles from Subic Bay Yacht Club marina but it often fills up just before a Typhoon.
Old 21-09-2016, 00:27   #35

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I was in Puerto Galera on a mooring during Yolanda, the big typhoon. All boats ok on moorings, survived minimal damage. Better protection there then just outside in bay. Large boats came just outside and a double decker ferry ended up on land. A small freighter ended up on the reef.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 22:49   #36

as i continue to study and refine plans, i think it's it's safe to say there are trade-offs with almost any decision.

with money no object, i'm mooring in hawaii, and flying put to PH to one month out of the year to visit the in-laws. a much cheaper road to my paradise, is building my own dock in a small province HOWEVER, i can't imagine how i could stand out more, than being an american in a 30-40 foot power yacht in such a setting? am i prepared for that? 3rd option down the list is mooring at one of the more populated places; manila, subic. . . much better at blending in, more of everything ib terms of convenience, BUT a further compromise on choice. who would agree or add to my view? before weighing in with other options, i should relay that i am married to the philippines in the very real sense that i'm married to my wife.
Old 23-09-2016, 18:14   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Things are changing in the Philippines with a growing middle class and boat sales growing so you will see more and more facilities coming on line.

I lived in Puerto Galera for the first 7 years, partner in a dive resort , past director of PGYC and because of Stargazer, went thru every inch of coastline looking for property as you did.

Have done the same all through the Visayas by car and Roro ferries, spending 6 weeks looking for a home/berth solution.

Same by boat and air in Busuanga and Palawan

Yes I found good locations but there were a variety of tradeoffs in infrastructure that kept me in Subic as a home base.

This map shows my 6 week research thru Visayas.

Next time you are in Subic, pm me and I can share a few details over a coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474679681987.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	131655  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 20:44   #38

pelagic, i have to say "jackpot" in terms of someone who's footsteps i'm following. subic and porta galara are 2 spots i should be making stops on my next visit in 6 months. i will definitely have to PM you, and see if i can offer you a dinner as a means to tracking you down chat. however, i got to add that as i approach my retirement, i'm not the pioneer i once was. just 20 years ago, i think i'd be looking to do what others said couldn't be done. now, i just want the easiest path: few possessions, just a newer, smaller yacht in a convenient port with infrastructure in place. i can do almost anything in the very literal sense, but don't want to spend the rest of my life building. time is irreplaceable commodity.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:43   #39

one BIG question awaiting an answer. . . from what i've researched, i see there's no way of getting boating insurance in the philippines? is this correct? so this means my buying a new $200,000+ yacht, and then taking my chances with typhoons, shallow bottoms and the unthinkable case of it being stolen, while i'm shore?

this is what comes up in the mind of a newcomer, while waiting for my next vacation to some of those quaint PH marinas to ask in person. can anyone here provide an antidote to my concern?
Old 01-10-2016, 18:44   #40

I have insurance brokered by Atlass Insurance and underwritten by Lloyds which is good for Philippines, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and all waters in between. So its no problem to get.
Old 01-10-2016, 20:18   #41

always nice to get it from someone who knows. i tried looking online, and couldn't find any on my own. thanks for the Atlas hookup.
Old 02-10-2016, 00:29   #42

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Nucci, what was or is your opinion of harboring on Cebu? There is a pretty large ex-pat contingent there.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:27   #43

hey alan,i went into this with hopes if mooring mostly in northern palawan, my wife's favorite. checking out the coron port, porta galera. a close enough distance of the major ports in manila or subic would be ideal. cebu definitely the 2nd option on the radar. when i visited cebu, i must admit i felt a bit more targeted as a foriegner, than my experienes in the luzon region. coupled that with the unfavorable reports of the mindinao region, i natuarally looked north. then again, i hadn't explored the port areas, which may be more expat populated and friendly. so adding a stop to the southern end of cebu this next trip may be in the works.
Old 02-10-2016, 17:07   #44

My missus and I like Cebu and have always felt safe there. The traffic congestion that has evolved over the last ten years is the only irritant. However plenty of berthing options. Cebu Yacht Club is very convenient being in Lapu Lapu on Mactan but the dock condition is not great. Zekes at Carman on Cebu is ok, especially to get work done but often full. Porters on Cebu Island is also ok but a bit basic.
Old 02-10-2016, 17:21   #45

appreciate that peter. i had those 3 spots pegged. looks like they will make up 2-3 days of our next visit. the fact that lapu lapu has a major airport hub is also a big plus for me.

Tags
mooring, Philippines, philippines