Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 12:31   #1

Post purchase checklist

I'm searching for a 35-40 ft sloop or cutter for long distance ocean sailing. This is my first boat purchase, not my first time sailing. I'm aware of the many steps one should take prior to purchase, i.e survey of boat and motor, pullout, sea trial, and purchase insurance. My question is what tasks are usually performed immediately after purchase? For example, I've owned many vehicles, mainly purchase used. No matter what the condition, I always changed the fluids, replaced the plugs, rotor and distributor cap (on vehicles that had them) and performed a general tune up. What do you do on a boat, in a similar vain?

Thanks in advance.

desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 13:09   #2

Boat: 50’ performance cruising cat, 50’ bluewater mono (for sale in a few weeks)
Re: Post purchase checklist

If possible, ask for a copy of the previous owner’s boat list. They may not mind giving it to you after the sale.

It’s so specific to each boat and each owner that I can’t see generalizing it.

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 13:30   #3

Boat: Hylas 54

Hopefully the previous owner has kept a record of all maintenance so you can see where you stand in comparison with all the maintenance schedules in the operating manuals of every component on board. In addition to that you will need to make sure the fuel system is clean and in good condition, water system clean, and unless the survey included a specific rig survey you will want to get up the mast ASAP and check it out. Same with heads and holding tanks and bilge pumps.

Then the real fun can begin by finding out what you missed the hard way! But it will be fun.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 14:04   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Do this BEFORE you buy-
1) Make sure all deck caps can be opened are are serviceable. This is RARELY done by surveyors.
2) Arrange for the owner to spend some time with you to go through the systems. Ask them how they set up the charging and electrical; ask them how they got new batteries in and out of the boat... lots of little things that most owners are happy to do and will prevent you from re-inventing the wheel.

After my recent purchase, the first thing I did was take an inventory of spares on board before I started buying a bunch of stuff.
Old 02-06-2020, 15:47   #5

Thank you, all, for your replies. Every bit of info helps. For me, the boat purchase is a huge investment, and I'm always questioning my skills and ability to maintain a boat for an extended ocean voyage. Hopefully. once travel restrictions are lifted I'll take the plunge.

Paul
Old 02-06-2020, 15:57   #6

Boat: B27

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsailor View Post
I'm searching for a 35-40 ft sloop or cutter for long distance ocean sailing. This is my first boat purchase, not my first time sailing. I'm aware of the many steps one should take prior to purchase, i.e survey of boat and motor, pullout, sea trial, and purchase insurance. My question is what tasks are usually performed immediately after purchase? For example, I've owned many vehicles, mainly purchase used. No matter what the condition, I always changed the fluids, replaced the plugs, rotor and distributor cap (on vehicles that had them) and performed a general tune up. What do you do on a boat, in a similar vain?

Thanks in advance.
If you do the same thing on a boat that you do on your car purchases, be prepared to spend lots of money uselessly.

You can easily tell by looking at the oil if it needs to be changed usually.

Most cars do not have rotors these days nor do they have distributor caps

Plugs are replaced like once every 100,000 miles or so. The same with antifreeze.

You may want to re-calibrate your maintenance ideas before doing the same with a boat
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 16:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
Hopefully the previous owner has kept a record of all maintenance so you can see where you stand in comparison with all the maintenance schedules in the operating manuals of every component on board. In addition to that you will need to make sure the fuel system is clean and in good condition, water system clean, and unless the survey included a specific rig survey you will want to get up the mast ASAP and check it out. Same with heads and holding tanks and bilge pumps.

Then the real fun can begin by finding out what you missed the hard way! But it will be fun.
So what if you buy a boat from someone that has passed. Do you not buy it because you don't have the old records?

If you know how to maintain equipment, it's not that big of a deal. If you don't, then you will probably over do it which you should.

It's as simple as that
Old 02-06-2020, 16:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsailor View Post
Thank you, all, for your replies. Every bit of info helps. For me, the boat purchase is a huge investment, and I'm always questioning my skills and ability to maintain a boat for an extended ocean voyage. Hopefully. once travel restrictions are lifted I'll take the plunge.

Paul
Why would anyone make a huge investment on a first boat?

Why not get something for around $5K-$25K and see how you like it. You will learn tons
Old 04-06-2020, 10:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Why would anyone make a huge investment on a first boat?

Why not get something for around $5K-$25K and see how you like it. You will learn tons

In my first post I stated that this is..."not my first time sailing." I've logged over 6000 miles sailing up and down the Pacific coast from Panama to the San Juan Islands in nw Washington, all as a crew member. So, I've reahed the point where I am passionate about sailing, and know I need my own boat. With advancing age, and weight, it is best I sail my own boat rather than crew for someone else.

But, thanks for your question, interest and input.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:24   #10

I like to get to know the boat and see potential problems by starting from the bilge up:
-How much muck is in the bilge? Is the bilge pump clogged with stuff that drifted down there? Does it work on manual and automatic?
-What does any wiring under the floor boards look like? Wire connector's that aren't sealed? etc
-How does it look under the engine? Anti freeze drips/stains? Oil drips/stains?
-Test all breakers and switches. Determine what is on each breaker. Are some abandoned breakers? How does the back of the switch panel look?
-Under the cockpit and in the engine compartment: Double clamps where possible? Hose near rotted? Rusty clamps? Leaks when it rains? Corroded wires cables?
-Go through every storage compartment including under the V berth and settees. See what's there.
-Test all seacocks for operation.
Just do this type of thing throughout the whole boat and you will know it much better and have a list.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase