Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2012, 16:32   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
No Thanks

I recently re positioned my boat from San Diego to San Francisco. I singlehanded from SD to Dana Point and then met some high school friends (non sailors) for the trip from DP to Catalina Island then to Santa Barbara. On the way from Catalina to Santa Barbara I had four interesting adventures. 1) The Coastguard pulled us over and asked who we were b/c they were looking for a Mayday call. 2) We came across a dolphin that had died with the back of its tail cut off and a round hole below its eye. There was no blood and 6 or 8 dolphins were patrolling around the dolphin doing synchronized jumps and such. Felt like a funeral procession. 3) My engine created lubricating oil and I had to stop where I was and do an oil change and 4) We spotted a dinghy on the water in the middle of the shipping channel 14 miles offshore. I went over to have a look and as I approached I saw the outboard. But no people. Then I saw a seagull land on the dink. Bad sign I thought. As we got close I contacted the USCG. It was not the Mayday they had been looking for but it was a dink that had been lost in the Channel Islands a week before. CG asked if I could tow it into my next port of call (Santa Barbara). I said I could and then went to work taking the engine off, emptying it of water, and placing it on my deck. Took us about an hour and got my boat dirty.

When I arrived in SB know one would take responsability for the dink. Harbor Patrol -- No Thanks. USCG station Channel Islands -- No Thanks call Los Angeles. But you have the USCG Ship Blackfinn here -- No Thanks. I asked to speak to a more senior officer and he transferred me to USCG station LA. USCG LA conference called me with the owner and he wasn't very excited to have located the dink. He never thanked me. I was leaving that night so I couldn't wait. Finally it occurred to me that he had already turned this in to the insurance company and was going to get a new one instead of the beat up one he had. After a few firm phone calls I finally got a hold of someone who would pick it up. No one said thanks except the guy at the bottom of the food chain who we helped move the dink from my boat to his owners boat.

Left SB that night and motored around Point Conception in NW 0 to 10 knots. By the time we hit Piedras Blancas it was out of the South at 5. Made 286 nm at an average speed of 6.975 knots. I guess the Gods of the Sea saw fit to thank me.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 16:43   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: No Thanks

Funny that the CG asked you to tow the dink in. From what I understand, they would not have done so had one of their boats discovered it.

Nice to hear that the wind gods rewarded your efforts. A southerly off Piedras Blancas is a huge blessing.
Old 20-03-2012, 16:50   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Ha, the new USCG, AKA Homeland Security, prefers to be seen roaring around wearing flak jackets and brandishing automatic weapons. I responded to a Mayday once and I couldn't get the CG station located 2 miles from me to do anything--they asked me to take a look around and see if I could find the guy. He wasn't giving a position, but I was able to spot his flares at some distance. I found them in a drifting boat, offshore with two people in it, and no gasoline. They would have been SOL if I hadn't been there I guess because the CG couldn't be bothered.
Old 20-03-2012, 16:50   #4

Boat: Haida 26

The Harbor Patrol at SB doesn't surprise me at all. Never ask them for anything, it's like your bothering them. I won't ever go back to that damn place....Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 17:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
The Harbor Patrol at SB doesn't surprise me at all. Never ask them for anything, it's like your bothering them. I won't ever go back to that damn place....Michael..
Have to disagree with the above comment. Cleanest nicest heads around. Great people and the Harbor Patrol has usually been helpful.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 20-03-2012, 17:13   #6

Southern Californian authorities, in general, want you to spend money and be on your way.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 17:20   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

I was thinking it was kinda like "karma" Charlie.. You lose one, you win one.
And you probably thought I didnt remember...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 17:39   #8

that would have been nice with a 25 hp engine. Shouldn't have called the CG I guess

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 20-03-2012, 18:03   #9

I believe you were entitled to salvage rights. Should have offerred it to the owner for $1000. If he declined (and it sounds like he would have) you would have gained a dingy and motor... of course hindsight is 20/20... most just want to do the right thing....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 18:40   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Charlie,
Looks like your lift pumps were OK. Now it's onto the IP and/or a compression check with blow-by readings.
Old 20-03-2012, 18:57   #11

Boat: hunter 376

Sounds like the dolphin was hit by a prop.. and maybe a bullet?
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:12   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Southern Californian authorities, in general, want you to spend money and be on your way.
Exactly like the Santa Barbara Marina.
We were coerced into buying a lifetime pass key.
"No, we are only here for a couple of days on the way to Mexico!"
Oh, You'll be back, it will pay for itself !"

"No, we're on our way to Mexico."

That was in 1993

They wouldn't let us leave the office until we purchased their stupid key.
(can you say used car salesman?)

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:25   #13

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Charlie, that's quite the tale. You did the right thing trying help out with the boat, pretty amazing the guy did not even feign gratitude -- and with another person listening in!! Any southern gentleman would be tortured by the thought of anyone going out of their way for them, without proper appreciation, offering a reward.... even just some ice cold sweet tea
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:31   #14

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Charlie, that's quite the tale. You did the right thing trying help out with the boat, pretty amazing the guy did not even feign gratitude -- and with another person listening in!! Any southern gentleman would be tortured by the thought of anyone going out of their way for them, without proper appreciation, offering a reward.... even just some ice cold sweet tea
Typical Calif people, not like country folk. Sorry Calif folk's, your not cool.
..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:47   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean

Typical Calif people, not like country folk. Sorry Calif folk's, your not cool.
..Michael..
I grew up in SoCal. I was born in Anaheim. My father was born in Anaheim. My grandmother was born in California. My great, great grandfather came to California in the late 1800s.

I left California when I could no longer find any Californians.

Trust me, its the transplant wannabees that screwed the place up...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote