Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 12:21   #1

Newbies wanting info on how to make an income

We are in the process of cashing it all in and getting a boat. What do you do for income on a boat? We will be a family of four. My husband will be going to marine and mechanic school and then we will be off. Any help would be great.
douglasstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:27   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Newbies wanting info on how to make an income

I think you will find that 85-90% of cruisers don't make income while cruising. Most have a nest egg that allows them to cruise for a period of time and then return to land.

Making (useful amounts) money off other cruisers is pretty hard to do. They are a resourceful lot that do many things on their own. They also lend a hand when required (usually for goodwill)

One option i have heard a couple times is working on Superyatchs. Don't know much about it, but i know some have made a useful money doing that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasstyle View Post
We are in the process of cashing it all in and getting a boat. What do you do for income on a boat? We will be a family of four. My husband will be going to marine and mechanic school and then we will be off. Any help would be great.
Howdy.

I see this is your first post on the forum. Welcome aboard CF!

This topic has been discussed many times and there are many suggestions. There is a long running thread with hundreds of suggestions.

Here is a link to just ONE of MANY threads on the topic of making money while cruising.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ist-37982.html

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:53   #4

Quote:
Why does your husband go to the marine and mechanics school before you hit the waters ? Doesn't that cost a lot of money which you rather invest in the boat or living on the boat ?

And depending how much cash you burn per month and what the savings are - I wouldn't rely on the "possible" income of a job if you hit the waters with a >family<

Imho there are lots of opps out there but you gotta have the knowledge and the equipment - most likely internet, which costs a >lot< just to start with.
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 15:43   #5

Boat: Alajuela 38

What do you do for money now? There are too many options to list, the answer entirely depends on your strengths.

For us, I am a nurse and my boyfriend is a teacher. At the moment we don't work for money whilst we sail since we concentrate on spending very little and enjoy our lives in the UK when we're on a work break.

However we've certainly had many opportunities to earn some modest cash. Deliveries, fitting and fixing stuff for boaters and helping locals for goods and good will rather than money. Mostly it's more rewarding to help each other for Free but if you can take your current work along then all the best.
Impetuous too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 15:52   #6

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Newbies wanting info on how to make an income

The most common ways that I have seen is to be good with coatings, rigging, woodwork and bright work.

Sewing, mechanical and electrical are in demand but require a bit more special skill set.

Your own boat can serve as advertisement, if the work stands out.

Being allowed to do said work by local laws is another matter.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 10-07-2015, 16:07   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The question seems to hinge upon wether you are staying in one location or underway. Of course, if your remain at a fixed location and just cruise away during your off work days, then the answer is simple,- you make your income with a fixed location job just like everyone else! We've known liveaboard cruisers that were teachers, lawyers, pilots, physcians, mechanics, graphic artists.... unlimited occupations.

So, if your mobile; then, the same simple answer applies. You need to have that job that allows you to gain employment online or with a skill that "travels".

I guess may answer is to simplistic for your expectations,- 'seems like a "no brainer". We kept a slip at various marinas for 30 years and left for work in the morning in our cars. We still had time to take many cruises to the Bahamas and the Florida Keys. We're now starting our 14th year of retirement and I would say that not working is working for us! We're always cruising now!
Old 11-07-2015, 07:44   #8

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

As someone said You can't work legally overseas ( Bahamas etc). You can do work for other cruisers on the side often for barter, no cash. The are as cash poor as you are. The only real way to work and cruise is if you have a web based job or business. If you are stateside or in your home country of course you can work but again have to find a job (often land based). Simply put Don't Count on much income if you are on the move. Also most cruisers are self sufficient by nature can do everything for themselves, cut hair, repair engine, electrical etc etc. They are also leery of people purporting expertise that they may or may not have and many have gotten burned or through sites like this heard of others who have been hoodwinked by alleged expert whatevers.
Russ
Old 11-07-2015, 08:49   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
You can live on very little if wish - why cash it all in? If you have a big enough pot of cash buy a small property and rent it out. Your capital shall increase if you buy in the right location and you get rental income regularly. Of course, it shall depend upon upon what you buy and the potential income / return less maintenance and management costs to evaluate whether it can work for you. This way, you are not reliant upon earning as you go.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:53   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Not to be negative but if you don't have a large nest egg but have two kids, it is a crazy idea. Just being live aboards and working a 9 to 5 might work. Someone with an internet reliant sales business could probably get by with cruising and home schooling. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:42   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Not to be negative but if you don't have a large nest egg but have two kids, it is a crazy idea. Just being live aboards and working a 9 to 5 might work. Someone with an internet reliant sales business could probably get by with cruising and home schooling. JMHO
'Not to be negative but........' well it did seem pretty negative.
OK, so they are crazy - as are many more of us if this is how you measure crazy. Frankly, I think many people are simply jealous of those that dare to be different. We started full time cruising over twenty years ago - with very little cash. Along the way, four children joined the crew. Crazy? Well, we did it and we are not the first.
We have met others in a similar position that sailed for a period and then flew back to their home country and got jobs before they ran out of money - worked for a year or so and then cruised again. One year of hard work and saving can fund a substantial period of cruising. We met one Aussie family that bought an RV and kept it with friends so they had accomodation when they returned to replenish their funds; they drove to whereever there was work and after left their RV back with their friends.

These people are not crazy - they are living their dream and I wish them good luck.
Someone else said dont waste your money on doing courses - I would agree its a waste. It might help get a job on a super yacht but what about the rest of the family whilst the mechanic/engineer sails of into the sunset? Nigel Calder's maintenance book is enough of a bible to get most people to understand what needs to be done.

Lets rather be constructive and assist people to realise their ambitions and dreams.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:44   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You do the same things you would have done on land.
Of course you need a rather large boat if you're going into cattle farming, but you'd need an equally large piece of land for that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
'Not to be negative but........' well it did seem pretty negative.
OK, so they are crazy - as are many more of us if this is how you measure crazy. Frankly, I think many people are simply jealous of those that dare to be different. We started full time cruising over twenty years ago - with very little cash. Along the way, four children joined the crew. Crazy? Well, we did it and we are not the first.
We have met others in a similar position that sailed for a period and then flew back to their home country and got jobs before they ran out of money - worked for a year or so and then cruised again. One year of hard work and saving can fund a substantial period of cruising. We met one Aussie family that bought an RV and kept it with friends so they had accomodation when they returned to replenish their funds; they drove to whereever there was work and after left their RV back with their friends.

These people are not crazy - they are living their dream and I wish them good luck.
Someone else said dont waste your money on doing courses - I would agree its a waste. It might help get a job on a super yacht but what about the rest of the family whilst the mechanic/engineer sails of into the sunset? Nigel Calder's maintenance book is enough of a bible to get most people to understand what needs to be done.

Lets rather be constructive and assist people to realise their ambitions and dreams.
A warning is constructive. Living a dream is great but with kids involved it is a whole different ball game. Kids come first.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:05   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Along the way, four children joined the crew."
One wonders, what came of the other children who chose not to join?
(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You do the same things you would have done on land.
Of course you need a rather large boat if you're going into cattle farming, but you'd need an equally large piece of land for that.
Cattle farming might provide an income.

Tags
income