Old 11-07-2015, 11:20   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Newbies wanting info on how to make an income

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Along the way, four children joined the crew."
One wonders, what came of the other children who chose not to join?
(G)
We ate them....times were tough.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:21   #17

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasstyle View Post
My husband will be going to marine and mechanic school and then we will be off.
Don't you think you both need to learn to sail and fix stuff?
Old 11-07-2015, 11:23   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Advice not to do something is not negative. "Crazy" is also not a universally negative connotation--in this context it's merely exclamative.

I don't understand the common rebukes on this forum towards those who give advice not to engage in an endeavor! Advice not to do something is also good advice if for no other reason than to help expose risks.

When plans are made by people who don't know what they're getting into and which have a high likelihood of being both expensive, diminutive to future earnings, and potentially dangerous, then explaining and exposing the risks is imperative and I would argue what the OP is actually looking for.

I'm not saying that's the case here, but the notion that schooling is necessary and having yet to make plans for income makes it seem as though the OP might not have a full understanding of the ramifications of the cruising lifestyle. Frankly having already made the decision to pack it in before understanding the risks also exposes a cavalier attitude towards risk-taking in general.

I know I don't post questions here looking for cheerleading and glad-handing. If I post a question, I'm searching for the complete picture of the risks and things I haven't thought of.

I'm personally not the sort of person whose going to cheer a runner as they run off a cliff at full speed, even if they think that's what they want to do. I'm going to warn them about the cliff.

Negativity to my mind are personal attacks rather than attacks on the concept. "Crazy idea" is a world different than "you are crazy". And being more concerned when children are involved than you would be for a single person or a couple is good citizenship.

I say kudos to those willing to "be the bad guy" while keeping it respectful.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:28   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
Advice not to do something is not negative. "Crazy" is also not a universally negative connotation--in this context it's merely exclamative.

I don't understand the common rebukes on this forum towards those who give advice not to engage in an endeavor! Advice not to do something is also good advice if for no other reason than to help expose risks.

When plans are made by people who don't know what they're getting into and which have a high likelihood of being both expensive, diminutive to future earnings, and potentially dangerous, then explaining and exposing the risks is imperative and I would argue what the OP is actually looking for.

I'm not saying that's the case here, but the notion that schooling is necessary and having yet to make plans for income makes it seem as though the OP might not have a full understanding of the ramifications of the cruising lifestyle. Frankly having already made the decision to pack it in before understanding the risks also exposes a cavalier attitude towards risk-taking in general.

I know I don't post questions here looking for cheerleading and glad-handing. If I post a question, I'm searching for the complete picture of the risks and things I haven't thought of.

I'm personally not the sort of person whose going to cheer a runner as they run off a cliff at full speed, even if they think that's what they want to do. I'm going to warn them about the cliff.

Negativity to my mind are personal attacks rather than attacks on the concept. "Crazy idea" is a world different than "you are crazy". And being more concerned when children are involved than you would be for a single person or a couple is good citizenship.

Thank you!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:29   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
A warning is constructive. Living a dream is great but with kids involved it is a whole different ball game. Kids come first.
Our kids are equal; we dont not have a 'first' in our family. If we all followed this mantra no-one would sail with kids unless they had a boat big enough to house tutors and a bank account to support same.
I would argue that giving the kids such an experience is hard to imagine what could surpass such a life. Our children, we believe, have seen significantly more of the world and life than many who have a conventional upbringing. Importantly, they are also aware of the value of money as well of the benefits they have had.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:37   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
We ate them....times were tough.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:39   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post

Well, we can agree to disagree. Is being judgemental about the OP also acceptable? What information do you have to say that they have not done their basic homework? They were seeking help with identifying potential income streams not to be advised that their aspirations were inappropriate. They were not seeking opinions about their proposed plans. Giving advice not to do something that is achieveable, when many others have done the same, and continue to do so. Do you really believe they have just decided to sell everything and go sailing without any thought whatsoever? Hmmmmmmm.
I dont mean to be negative about your posting but........ !!!
Old 11-07-2015, 11:41   #23

Quote:
Our kids are equal; we dont not have a 'first' in our family. If we all followed this mantra no-one would sail with kids unless they had a boat big enough to house tutors and a bank account to support same.
I would argue that giving the kids such an experience is hard to imagine what could surpass such a life. Our children, we believe, have seen significantly more of the world and life than many who have a conventional upbringing. Importantly, they are also aware of the value of money as well of the benefits they have had.
Sorry if I hit a nerve. I don't believe you are the OP so I have no comment on what you may or may not have done with your life or kids.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:03   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sorry if I hit a nerve. I don't believe you are the OP so I have no comment on what you may or may not have done with your life or kids.
Hi Cadence ....thank-you.
We have four children, all born whilst cruising. We have friends in similar positions as ourselves who are similarly happy with their choices. We consider that we have had a great time with our children on board and we have experienced some difficulties in the past. We have been advised by some that our lifestyle was inappropriate as we had children. However, our children have thrived academically with one now being accepted for medical school and another shall be starting 'varsity to train as a teacher. As to their characters and personalities I can only judge that by their many friends and how many emails arrive for them. Neither of our twins has had formal schooling yet they scored well in their exams taken to gain university entrance. The two younger children are following suit. We also originally left port with very little money on a 35ft catamaran. We now own (actually recently sold!) a 45ft cat and shall be buying something better very soon. We are also now independent financially. Before we left port we were advised by many that we should settle down and save to buy a house, have 2.4 children etc. We are still in contact with some of these people - and their lives seem to be equally as happy and still living the same lives as when we left. However, we wanted more than that and believe we have experienced a fair amount. We try to encourage others that wish to spread their wings to do so.
Most importantly we are happy that we listened to our hearts.
I wish you the very fairest of winds.
Old 11-07-2015, 13:13   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm not against "thread drift". Face to face conversations also drift and I do not agree that the OP has any exclusive hold on the topic. Since I last responded I notice that the topic has trended toward judging the responsibility of cruisers to their children and there are some questioning the judgement of parents who are subjecting their children to an alternative life choice.

Of course, all parents are subjecting the children to choices that they have made beyond the control of the child. Cruisers tend to have their children raised in close quarters with very direct problem solving communication. There is a far greater percentage of communication with adults compared to children raised in land based suburbia with major portions of each day in group child care facilities. Some have proposed that this greater time spent with adults might stifle a child's socialization with their peers, but annecdotal accounts do not suggest that this is true.

Children that have been raised cruising seem to excel with their potential for university entry and success when they begin their independant lives.
Old 11-07-2015, 13:20   #26

Quote:
Hi Cadence ....thank-you.
We have four children, all born whilst cruising. We have friends in similar positions as ourselves who are similarly happy with their choices. We consider that we have had a great time with our children on board and we have experienced some difficulties in the past. We have been advised by some that our lifestyle was inappropriate as we had children. However, our children have thrived academically with one now being accepted for medical school and another shall be starting 'varsity to train as a teacher. As to their characters and personalities I can only judge that by their many friends and how many emails arrive for them. Neither of our twins has had formal schooling yet they scored well in their exams taken to gain university entrance. The two younger children are following suit. We also originally left port with very little money on a 35ft catamaran. We now own (actually recently sold!) a 45ft cat and shall be buying something better very soon. We are also now independent financially. Before we left port we were advised by many that we should settle down and save to buy a house, have 2.4 children etc. We are still in contact with some of these people - and their lives seem to be equally as happy and still living the same lives as when we left. However, we wanted more than that and believe we have experienced a fair amount. We try to encourage others that wish to spread their wings to do so.
Most importantly we are happy that we listened to our hearts.
I wish you the very fairest of winds.
Grats if it has worked for you and your children. I hope it works out for others. I'm sure it is not a picnic.
Old 11-07-2015, 15:50   #27

here is one of the most helpful links on the net. In short it is the dream of two sailors who had a vision, well in short live there dreams. They started of with nothing now have a flourishing business from there live aboard sail boat. It is this type of vision not mixed with egos but in essence a willingness to change. The you tube story has over 60 short clips and many other subjects are covered. Her name is Teresa carey. And she and her partner have inspired me for the last few years im not wealthy at all but I have the same aspirations. There are no rules there are only experiences to gain from. Be creative and original

Teresa Carey's Sailing Simplicity & the Pursuit of Happiness
goya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 17:51   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, you DO know how hard it is to get fresh milk, or beef, at sea.(G)

Pretty much a seller's market, charge what you please.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 18:27   #29

Boat: Volkscruiser

Lets just answer the question and not get all political etc. Yes you can make money cruising but it is not easy and can take a fair amount of effort to secure a paid job. The wife and I have done it in New Zealand, Canada and Australia. I am a boat builder and marine surveyor, while Tina is a jack of all trades. None of the work paid much and it only really gave us an insight into peoples lives while travelling. The worst part was in Canada we should have been sailing not working as the season is so short. We now have a two kids and I am not sure that the low paying jobs we had then would support a family of four and provide money for future cruising?
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 18:44   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Making (useful amounts) money off other cruisers is pretty hard to do.
I think that's a pretty true statement.....so what you do is don't try to get blood from the perverbial turnip...its the standard talking point to do canvas work, sail repair, boat projects for cruisers, but I see that like getting a degree in gender studies...a pre-poverty degree plan.

Depending on where you plan to cruise any job...literally...any job you can do from an Internet connection and cell phone you can do from the boat out cruising. Sure it may limit your destinations a bit, but the ideal is to earn dollars in USA/Euro terms and then spend them in Cruising terms (Mexico/Carib/etc.). That will let you earn a higher $/hr or per project wage and then on the spending side stretch it out well.

For 3yrs I ran the sales/customer service side of my water maker business from various anchorages around Pacific Coast Mexico and as soon as these kids get off the boat and head off the college, I will do it again!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
income