Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2015, 10:56   #16

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'
Re: Need help spending $80k on a liveaboard

Having lived on my Pearson 26' Renegade for 5 years w/ 3 dogs, ( they lived in the cockpit mostly) I can relate to small. Looking at your list I see that "pocket cruiser" and earlier esthetic lines are a common thread. I'm not a fan of HC's having had two in my care in Hawaii. I found they wallow in troughs and not really all that stable. Then again I have always stayed away from Taiwan boats even though many are great. Case in point is my friends 25' 1957 Cheoy Lee. Also known as a Frisco Flyer these point like a retriever, take high wind with ease and pick their line like an old schooner. Not crazy about the "Plastic Fantastic" boats for crossings the Hunters and the like (imho) aren't built to cruise. A paper cup will go downwind but I like a boat that handles points of sail over creature comforts. My Westsail 32' carried me from Hawaii through the South Pacific, Australia, NZ and back safely but windward was not her most comforable direction. Now that I live on a cat I motorsail ( uh oh.... aka stinkpotter sailing) to make up for any lack of windward ability and enjoy the fiberglass acreage for solar, friends, charter capability etc.
I would suggest for your consideration the Pearson Vangard or Triton and certainly the Alberg 30. They are in keeping with the list you provide whilst leaving plenty of $ out of that $80k. These three are proven world cruisers and common liveaboards yet have the lines in keeping with your selections. Easily single handed they are one hop up in size from what I would call a "pocket cruiser".
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 12:38   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

If you're a purist you might want to add Bristol Channel Cutter to your list. While ordinarily above your budget, they have seen a rapid decline in value over the past couple of years for the simple fact that they're the antithesis of a "modern" boat and the market for them has shrunk pretty dramatically. I suspect their prices will continue to soften. There's no doubt they are one of the best built, most seaworthy boats out there. Gorgeous from end to end.

As for board etiquette, no need to reply to each and every post or even reply to any specific points at all.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 15:54   #18

Why not 2 boats, one for each venue? It's a long old haul from the Great Lakes to the BVIs and most of your time is going to be spent going to and coming from there. I think you'll do it once and once will be enough.

In the 30 foot range the C&C 30 is hard to beat and you can pick one up in the Great Lakes region for around $20K.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 16:23   #19

Boat: solaris 42 1978

i got the perfect boat for you ,, i dont think you could spend 80 on it but you could try ,, 42 solaris 1978 priced to sell at 45,000 listed here on the cruisers classified
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 17:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
Why not 2 boats, one for each venue? It's a long old haul from the Great Lakes to the BVIs and most of your time is going to be spent going to and coming from there. I think you'll do it once and once will be enough.

In the 30 foot range the C&C 30 is hard to beat and you can pick one up in the Great Lakes region for around $20K.

Based on your description, that's a pretty good idea.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 02:22   #21

S&S 34. The ones most of the solo sailors take on their non-stop unassisted trips around the world. And I think if they can take on Cape Horne it can take on the BVI's

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
aussie_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 05:13   #22
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper1969 View Post

So, can I beg for thoughts on which of these would be your choice for seaworthiness, ease of repair and reliability?

1993 Flicka 20
1995 PSC Orion 27
1981 Hans Christian 33
1982 Bristol 24

Thanks!
I wouldn't consider any of those small outdated boats if I was spending even half of a $80k budget!

Tags
liveaboard