Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2021, 13:58   #121

Re: My yacht is impounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
You might be right, on the other hand...

I can think of three possibilities.
1. He is innocent and the story is as simple as the OP presented.
2. There is more to the story and this will determine his guilty/innocence and the degree of that guilt/innocence.
3. He is guilty and he is lying.

Perhaps there's a 4th.

4. This is a troll post that has worked as intended.

The OP has a total of 4 posts, and hasn't yet responded to over 9 pages of posts and inquiries. It's fairly easy to create an account on this forum using any one of a million free email hosts, dig up a boating related news story, and embellish that story in a thread.

I'd say y'all have all been had.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 14:12   #122

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Perhaps there's a 4th.

4. This is a troll post that has worked as intended.

The OP has a total of 4 posts, and hasn't yet responded to over 9 pages of posts and inquiries. It's fairly easy to create an account on this forum using any one of a million free email hosts, dig up a boating related news story, and embellish that story in a thread.

I'd say y'all have all been had.
Good catch. Yes, this is a possibility. It will be fun to see how this turns out though!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 14:18   #123

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

No, he doesn't look like a troll. He joined 7 years ago and his 3 previous posts about solar appear totally legit. It is far more likely that he was looking for ideas on recovering his boat, whatever his knowledge of the drug smuggling - that part seems clear. And either way he didn't include many details, which I do not take of itself to be indicative of anything. There are clearly more relevant details that we don't know yet. So there are really just two possibilities: either he was incredibly naive and generous (and may have known the mechanic better than just in passing) or he knew that something dodgy was being done and he may have expected a return on his risk. We cannot know which with the information available. My life's experiences cast doubt on the naive and generous explanation. And trying to pick up a bit of tax-free unreported income without actually doing the smuggling seems appealing to too many people, so must be the most likely explanation, barring further information to the contrary. As for the OP, if he is innocent he is not going to like the drift of this thread, and if he is guilty he must realize that his guilt is not nearly as well disguised as he had hoped. Either way I don't see why he would come back here.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 14:53   #124
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
No, he doesn't look like a troll. He joined 7 years ago and his 3 previous posts about solar appear totally legit. It is far more likely that he was looking for ideas on recovering his boat, whatever his knowledge of the drug smuggling - that part seems clear. And either way he didn't include many details, which I do not take of itself to be indicative of anything. There are clearly more relevant details that we don't know yet. So there are really just two possibilities: either he was incredibly naive and generous (and may have known the mechanic better than just in passing) or he knew that something dodgy was being done and he may have expected a return on his risk. We cannot know which with the information available. My life's experiences cast doubt on the naive and generous explanation. And trying to pick up a bit of tax-free unreported income without actually doing the smuggling seems appealing to too many people, so must be the most likely explanation, barring further information to the contrary. As for the OP, if he is innocent he is not going to like the drift of this thread, and if he is guilty he must realize that his guilt is not nearly as well disguised as he had hoped. Either way I don't see why he would come back here.

Greg
Yep, good analysis!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 19:15   #125

Boat: Island Packet 40

Good post CarinaPDX.
Old 24-07-2021, 00:20   #126

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I got about as far as page 5 here and began my yawn reflex.

So here's my take away from all this...Please realize if you take a guest out for a sail as we all do. Even making it perfectly clear to them, you DO NOT want any recreational drugs onboard. Even though you might do that and they lite up anyways or get caught during a USCG boarding, same things happen. They can take your boat and you're screwed.

We all take people out. Some times friends of friends who might not respect your advice not to carry while onboard.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 06:31   #127

Boat: Tartan Ten 33'

I have heard of people having their boat stolen and then finding it and re-stealing it back. I wonder if you could hire a team to take the boat back. Once in international waters, I'm not sure anyone can touch them.
mlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 06:33   #128

Stealing your boat back is not an option. The crew would end up in a Spanish jail.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 06:33   #129

Try contacting the Spanish Navy directly and see if they are receptive to an explanation.
Try contacting the Croatian embassy or consulate in S.A. and see if they can offer any assistance.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 06:38   #130

You can likely do this without a lawyer though you will have to go there. You’ll need documentation that the guy had been given permission to move the boat and that you had no other contact with him , you’ll likely get your boat back. Dont get smart and try sneak your boat out. Aircraft and fast patrol boats will have you back in harbour by the end of the day and then you and your boat will be stuck there for years.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 06:41   #131

Not a great idea. A). You’ll like be caught before you get far enough away. B) If you do get away , the crew and boat will have to stay out of countries that have no extradition treaty with the EU. The law never forgets. A buddy of mine pulled a similar fast one recovering a daughter and a years later ended up in a Ukrainian prison.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 06:42   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
There's actually a plea for that; it's called nolo contendere. 🙂
PocketNaomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 06:48   #133

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I can’t believe this thread has gone on so long, with so much concern and advice. The OP is involved… he will be arrested… the boat is the least of his worries. It’s over.
pma_foyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 06:48   #134

The boat had drugs on it and you will not get it back. You can try to buy it back when it is auctioned after the trial.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 06:50   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Plus do they know who you are and were they can contact you?

Perhaps write, yes write to them explaining and include evidence like copies of the ships papers and an insurance certificate. Dodgy people don't normally insure yachts.

Pete
You have, of course, contacted your embassy over this matter. What do they say?

Tell us you didn't just hand him over the keys to your sailboat with a handshake? Tell us you have something in writing. Sounds to me like you were attempting to get a free yacht delivery across the pond. How many years have you known this mechanic?
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht