Old 26-07-2021, 07:52   #151
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: My yacht is impounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
OMG, I'm an idiot!

You may be accused of many things my friend. But if anyone knows you, an "Idiot" could NEVER be of them.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 07:53   #152

Please DM me if you need another mechanic to lend your boat to to sail it for any crossings, I'm available within a few months time frame and don't do drugs like your previous 'mechanic'.....
Windinyoursail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 07:53   #153
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Your best bet now it to not do anything that could be considered remotely illegal or even suspicious for several years.

Good chance they are well aware that you are the owner and may be presuming you are a participant in the smuggling. You don't want to give them any corroborating evidence.

If you are in South Africa, they may simply be laying low waiting for you to show up in the EU where they can get their hands on you without messing about with extradition.

You need a lawyer not only to figure out how to get the boat released but to determine if you are at risk of being arrested and what your best course of action is.
Exactly my first thought.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 07:58   #154

Boat: Santana 25

This reminds me of a great old jimmy buffet song…… Havana dreaming.

Except he got away with it and was paid well.

It seems you can’t rob a train in Kansas and just ride back into Oklahoma to hide like in the good ol days!
twoblocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 08:01   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giro View Post
In my humble opinion, most of the replys being offered here resemble morbid, non professional attempts to instill a sense of hopelessness in your pursuit of help and potential justice. My best advise is to contact experienced, legal counsel (one well seasoned in matters such as these) before jumping to any drastic conclusions with regard to retrieving custody of your vessel or whether you may face extenuating personal, legal consequences.
When things are hopeless, instilling a sense of hopelessness could be a good thing.

It may stop him from doing something silly like show up at the boat only to be arrested. Far better to have a lawyer manage his actions.

But yeah, he got told that a few pages back and this is just discussion now.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 08:35   #156

Boat: Discovery 55

Look the best thing to do is jump on a plane to the canaries with your registration documents and sort this out face to face. They can’t touch you without evidence and the fact that you are innocent means you have nothing to fear. You might have to give the odd official a bung to sweeten the matter along. The canaries are a nice place, warm all year round.
Paul Reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 08:38   #157

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Reading View Post
Look the best thing to do is jump on a plane to the canaries with your registration documents and sort this out face to face. They can’t touch you without evidence and the fact that you are innocent means you have nothing to fear. You might have to give the odd official a bung to sweeten the matter along. The canaries are a nice place, warm all year round.
What has evidence got to do with being found innocent?

First ask if the cells are air conditioned.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 08:38   #158

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Are there any attorneys on the thread? I would be very interested in hearing an attorney's thoughts on this. A European or Spanish attorney, or maritime attorney would be most interesting. Obviously, these would be general thoughts since the specifics of the case would not be known.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 08:46   #159

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Reading View Post
Wow!!! Per several other posters, I agree that the OP is likely long-gone from this thread. In spite of that, are we running a contest to see who can provide the worst advice possible to the OP?
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 09:41   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Wow!!! Per several other posters, I agree that the OP is likely long-gone from this thread. In spite of that, are we running a contest to see who can provide the worst advice possible to the OP?
The OP is more than likely long-gone period, and perhaps from the authorities! As for his yacht, kiss that baby goodbye!
oceanluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 09:42   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Perhaps there's a 4th.

4. This is a troll post that has worked as intended.

The OP has a total of 4 posts, and hasn't yet responded to over 9 pages of posts and inquiries. It's fairly easy to create an account on this forum using any one of a million free email hosts, dig up a boating related news story, and embellish that story in a thread.

I'd say y'all have all been had.
His join date goes back to 2014 and his account name matches the owner in the story. If his join date were brand new I'd agree with you.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 09:46   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonih View Post
In 2020 I gave my mechanic permission to use our yacht so that he could accompany a charter fleet across the Atlantic. Or so he said.
Our yacht was boarded west of the Canaries and a large consignment of drugs were found on board.
He was arrested, and as far as we know our yacht is still impounded in the Canaries.
Quotes to engage a Spanish lawyer were about the same value as the yacht, so we didn't pursue the legal route.
No one has contacted us.
Can anyone offer advice as to how to reclaim our yacht?
Yacht is registered in Croatia. We live in South Africa.
WOW Did you see how much they packed on that yacht? I want them to help me next time I'm trying to store my stuff!!!
MainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 09:53   #163

Boat: C-26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinden View Post
I have heard of people having their boat stolen and then finding it and re-stealing it back. I wonder if you could hire a team to take the boat back. Once in international waters, I'm not sure anyone can touch them.
USCG doesn't give a damn about international waters, so why should Spain?
I was making a delivery and was 300 miles out in the Atlantic and got boarded and searched by USCG. An hour later, I got stopped again by none other than the infamous Dauntless. 300 miles out is in international waters.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 10:00   #164

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch

A curious story- so we’re drugs found on any other of the charter fleet? How many yachts in all? A maritime lawyer best bet. Was your yacht insured?
Can you go see it? Can you talk to your mechanic. Lots of holes for questions.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 10:04   #165

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshooter View Post
USCG doesn't give a damn about international waters, so why should Spain?
I was making a delivery and was 300 miles out in the Atlantic and got boarded and searched by USCG. An hour later, I got stopped again by none other than the infamous Dauntless. 300 miles out is in international waters.
I was curious about that, and did some homework. What I found was interesting. First, if your boat is U.S. flagged, the U.S. Coast Guard can stop you anywhere in the world (I suspect this is the case with many other countries and their flagged vessels, although I don't know that for sure). Next, other countries may stop a U.S. Flagged country IF they have an agreement with the U.S., and in that same agreement the U.S. can stop other flagged vessels covered under that agreement.

Interestingly, the U.S. Coast Guard may stop U.S. and other vessels in the national waters of countries that participate in the above mentioned agreement in many, but not all, situations.

Not having read the details of the agreements, there are fine points that I haven't discussed, however that is the gist of the law. I was rather surprised since I assumed, incorrectly, that once in international waters I was not to be stopped. Oops.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht