Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-07-2014, 07:29   #991
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Would anyone pay for documentation services?

i.e. you tell me where you are coming from, where you are going the nationality and crew make up and I provide all the docs you need for departure and arrival.

This can easily be a mobile business.
Sure, Cruisers pay locals for these Check in/Check out and and paperwork services all the time rather than doing it themselves.

The problem with this is that there are locals in every port providing this for Already. These locaks hey speak the language, know the system and the moment they find out a cruisers is muscling in on how they feed their family...well...you're done.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 05:25   #992
Armchair Bucketeer

For the last year or so I have been working on a radical plan to fund future adventures (or simply sitting on me backside chillaxing!)....historically I had mixed up a life of paperwork (and a bit of wheeling and dealing - some well past the polite end of freemarketeering )....with lots of extended travel around the world over a couple of decades...by jumbo jet.

But for too many recent years my life has pretty much been on hold whilst I slowly came to terms with past life "events" (lol), which took a toll on both motivation (including boat refit) and the DOJ treasury .

So I decided I needed a source of income I could come back to on my own schedule to pick up cash, even at the price of working like a dog!

So I came up with taxis! Not such a stretch for me as family involved with taxis in Jersey since before the war. Jersey of course not downtown Manchester or LA - but nights we do have the odd pillock!, but after "exposure" to the Bangkok unregulated lending business (lol) (i still miss that woman - not her family so much! ) my definition of scary folks is somewhat different to many others. Plus I have always been mor curious about how events work out than fearful - which projects as self confidence. Plus my risk assessment process of when to run like hell has always worked well. Of course in Jersey (and by the nature of the taxi bizness in not knowing folks beforehand) not allowed / not possible to be proactive in preventing problems.

Another long ramble from DOJ! All that I guess to say that driving a taxi, especially at nights, not for everyone and will depend on location for how sane to risk! (over here no need for a screen, let alone bullet proof glass!...despite us having very liberal (easy) gun ownership laws - unlike the UK mainland).

Of course their are licencing requirements (me will take a couple of years to get the right licence that works for me) and over here also a residency angle - but that not a problem for me to meet, even when not physically here.

Having said that, am fighting off the urge to set up a taxi firm / revolutionise how the taxis work here......

......but hopefully I will stick to plan A! How much the next adventures involve a boat is another thing! (I grew up with them so for me nothing special, including foreign travel.... But all that one for later).

Not to say I will be giving up the freemarketeering end of life, if only for fun .

Go now!(ish) - go by Taxi!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 11:41   #993
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

David, you could probably get the Jersey "franchise" for Lyft or Uber, for that matter.

Here in the Colonies, they're wreaking havoc with regular taxi services, where taxi licenses are way overpriced due to greedy speculators. In NYC, a taxi medallion (franchise license) can run a million dollars at auction. In other big cities, still a high six figures. With that kind of money required just for the permit--gee, they wonder why the drivers can't make a buck after expenses.

I expect it is more casual and less expensive over there?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 00:50   #994
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Now if you could somehow interweave the services of both Bangkok and taxi...

I worked 3rd shift for over 3 years - loved it. if the taxi gig does not turn out to be lucrative the other night job that I always thought useful was night shift guard.

Had a buddy in college score that gig. Hours and hours of time to study interspersed with 30 minute walks around the plant to "clock in"

As a self admitted lazy-bones could be right up your alley - CF all night, work on (sleep on?) boat all day.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:57   #995
Armchair Bucketeer

Lots of rules here many written, many not! And that includes "interpretation" from licencing authority / regulator (aka making stuff up as they go along. Lots of "Face fits" angle as well). Cost? According to many wildly expensive! But in an economy based on offshore finance (tax haven) and 100,000 people on an island 9x5 miles wtf do they expect? No one ever complains that THEY are overpaid here (I too was one of the offshore suits so I know they are! But I ain't giving the money back either!).

On the taxis here you can make a half decent living - but you need to really crunch the hours. Helped by us not having a pool of people (legal or not) on starvation wages to undercut us.....
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 11:50   #996
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

If you are fortunate enough to own a property, you should use Airbnb to list it instead of traditional rentals. That's how we're financing a lot of our circumnavigation: Mastering the art of Airbnb - COUCH SAILORS
Old 15-08-2014, 15:03   #997

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
If you are fortunate enough to own a property, you should use Airbnb to list it instead of traditional rentals. That's how we're financing a lot of our circumnavigation: Mastering the art of Airbnb - COUCH SAILORS
I have an apartment in LA that I airbnb as an additional stream of income. Your numbers are impressive. My question is who does the sunset sail now that you are gone?
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 15:06   #998
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
I have an apartment in LA that I AirBNB as an additional stream of income. Your numbers are impressive. My question is who does the sunset sail now that you are gone?
Glad to see someone else doing the same! I'm offering my younger brother free rent to take over the apartment (it's cheaper for me to continue having him rent on Airbnb and I'm helping him out) and his passion is cooking, so we'll probably replace the "free sunset sail" with "free gourmet dinner"

I'm sure there are other creative ways... I could even arrange a sunset sail with SF Sailing Co who are my neighbors at my marina. They charge $20 I think for a sunset sail, maybe I could negotiate something for unlimited sunset sails a month for my guests!
Old 15-08-2014, 19:28   #999

Boat: Wannabe 34 (BW of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
If you are fortunate enough to own a property, you should use Airbnb to list it instead of traditional rentals. That's how we're financing a lot of our circumnavigation
Note that AirBnB, VRBO, and others (essentially short-term vacation rentals) are illegal (*) in some locations such as San Francisco, Oahu, etc. More and more cities and destinations are realizing that these services are displacing hotels and legitimate B&Bs while not paying hotel or business income tax, and thus regulating them more and more. That means such an income also has a certain risk of being diminished or cut off while you're away.

(*) YoloSF is on the gray side of the law because SF only explicitly forbids short-term rentals of entire properties--so his is more like a roommate situation. But there are other issues with AirBnB and the like:

- They disrupt a quiet apartment building or neighborhood.
- They contribute to the "over-touristification" of a destination (more development).
- They distort the rental and real-estate market where they are located.
- They displace local populations.

I'm sorry to jump in with such negativity, but this new "sharing" economy is often about making a quick buck while passing on the problems to your neighbors.
libramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 19:44   #1000

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Quote:
Originally Posted by libramax View Post

Note that AirBnB, VRBO, and others (essentially short-term vacation rentals) are illegal (*) in some locations such as San Francisco, Oahu, etc. More and more cities and destinations are realizing that these services are displacing hotels and legitimate B&Bs while not paying hotel or business income tax, and thus regulating them more and more. That means such an income also has a certain risk of being diminished or cut off while you're away.

(*) YoloSF is on the gray side of the law because SF only explicitly forbids short-term rentals of entire properties--so his is more like a roommate situation. But there are other issues with AirBnB and the like:

- They contribute to the "over-touristification" of a destination (more development).

I'm sorry to jump in with such negativity, but this new "sharing" economy is often about making a quick buck while passing on the problems to your neighbors.
Sounds more like some government believes that they are missing out on some tax or revenue.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 22:40   #1001
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Sounds more like some government believes that they are missing out on some tax or revenue.
That, and the entrenched special interests that use the power of Government to protect their profits don't like it when the consumer gets a better option and for less money! They cry foul when they can't control the rigged game...boo hoo for them and hurray for economic freedom and Liberty...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 23:17   #1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by libramax View Post
But there are other issues with AirBnB and the like:

Just like hotels do.
Tensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 20:05   #1003

We are a family of PADI Scuba Instructors. And we have a band so working and dive shops and playing island music in local beach bars is a good income. Plus as divers spearfishing & lobster is always on our menu.
=^..^=
hesperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 21:38   #1004

I was just looking at my PayPal and an ad popped up for the credit card reader thingy. It got me pondering:
Could one 'work' discretely in a country without the appropriate visa, and instead of getting legit wages (and thus falling foul of the immigration authorities) but instead ping one's customer's credit card and have the money in one's home bank account?
Anyone doing it this way?
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 21:49   #1005

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
I was just looking at my PayPal and an ad popped up for the credit card reader thingy. It got me pondering:
Could one 'work' discretely in a country without the appropriate visa, and instead of getting legit wages (and thus falling foul of the immigration authorities) but instead ping one's customer's credit card and have the money in one's home bank account?
Anyone doing it this way?
I do know some, both legal and illegal, who accept PayPal payments.

But, how you get paid is not the issue. You would still be working illegally...and thus still potentially fall a foul of the immigration authorities.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle