Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 05:58   #1471

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

I retired over a year ago. Qualified as a diving instructor first, then went to South Africa to do an Ocean Yachtmaster. Then bought a boat!!! I would love to travel and do dive/sail holidays for people, but quietly and no drama.... So far I'm qualifying people and only insisting they pay the registration. The bar tab is optional, haha. Anyway, are there any sites out there where people can go online and find someone with a boat who's flexible and can organise a couple weeks hols of dive/sailing. My dream job
Philipmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 23:33   #1472

Boat: East Orient 32

I am a writer living aboard for the past 20 years. I've published numerous articles mostly in sailing magazines and last year my first book. For five years I even ran a small print magazine in Greece. It's been a struggle but I live frugally.
I am now retired on a small pension but which doesn't begin to pay all the bills for moorage, fuel, insurance, food, maintenance and repairs. (Eidos is nearly 40 years old),

So, I signed up with Patreon. It's a membership platform that makes it easy for writers, artists, composers and other creators to get paid for their work.

In return for patronage, I provide content by posting third draft of chapters of my latest book, signed copies of my first book, as well as updates with photos and videos.

So far I have one person promising to sponsor me, but it's early days and soon I'm hoping to be able to write more without worrying about my boat falling apart.

Become a Patron!
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 12:57   #1473

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtroy View Post
Three Words... Short Tesla Now!!!
Where was Tesla trading when you posted this?

I bought in during a quick down-spike around 250. Since then it's stayed mostly over 280, recently spiked to 350 before falling back to 300ish.
MangoCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 22:49   #1474

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoCats View Post
Where was Tesla trading when you posted this?

I bought in during a quick down-spike around 250. Since then it's stayed mostly over 280, recently spiked to 350 before falling back to 300ish.
Thats more a reflection of a broken market than sound fundamentals. There is no metric that can justify teslas market cap, and there are few better examples of a how distorted our financial markets currently are than Tesla.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 05:04   #1475

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Thats more a reflection of a broken market than sound fundamentals. There is no metric that can justify teslas market cap, and there are few better examples of a how distorted our financial markets currently are than Tesla.
By this reasoning, the market has been broken at least since the dot com boom, possibly before. In many ways, I agree with this reasoning, however... with 20+ years of irrational valuations based on broad public perception rather than sound fundamentals (no doubt a result of easy access to the markets by the broad public, self directed day trading, etc.) this would appear to be the new normal - I don't like it, I definitely don't prefer it to the more predictable, rational, fundamentals driven market of the 60s, 70s and 80s, but this is how the wind seems to blow today - learn to ride it or get left behind by inflation.

If you think that Tesla valuation is even close to the best contemporary example of distorted financial markets, you obviously haven't been paying attention to cryptocurrencies - more of the same in my opinion, but moreso, much more so.

Even in the "good old days" where markets were locked up and only accessible via "experienced professionals," we still had the crash of '29, the S&L crisis of the late 80s, many more I'm sure I'm forgetting. The key is to diversify. My latest investment is in a 600' spool of rope, I'm hoping it will perform more reliably than TSLA.
MangoCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 06:27   #1476

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoCats View Post
By this reasoning, the market has been broken at least since the dot com boom, possibly before. In many ways, I agree with this reasoning, however... with 20+ years of irrational valuations based on broad public perception rather than sound fundamentals (no doubt a result of easy access to the markets by the broad public, self directed day trading, etc.) this would appear to be the new normal - I don't like it, I definitely don't prefer it to the more predictable, rational, fundamentals driven market of the 60s, 70s and 80s, but this is how the wind seems to blow today - learn to ride it or get left behind by inflation.

If you think that Tesla valuation is even close to the best contemporary example of distorted financial markets, you obviously haven't been paying attention to cryptocurrencies - more of the same in my opinion, but moreso, much more so.

Even in the "good old days" where markets were locked up and only accessible via "experienced professionals," we still had the crash of '29, the S&L crisis of the late 80s, many more I'm sure I'm forgetting. The key is to diversify. My latest investment is in a 600' spool of rope, I'm hoping it will perform more reliably than TSLA.
I'm happy it's working out for you,to much speculation for me to participate. I just don't know how anyone can predict when the music's going to stop,I grabbed a chair early.

I kept out of the crypto scene for the same reasons, I need to see value and good fundamentals.

Your right,sitting on cash isn't the best plan BUT protecting my capital is my number one rule therefore if it comes between holding cash or having a bet,I'll hold cash,the downside is less.

Once again,glad it's working for you.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 22:02   #1477

Boat: Bayliner 3870 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Yep for this reason I stay well away! Boring companies for me thanks. But everyone has their system
tackleandtax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 23:21   #1478

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleandtax View Post
Yep for this reason I stay well away! Boring companies for me thanks. But everyone has their system

But The Boring Company is another Musk enterprise
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 04:35   #1479

Boat: Najad 400

I had a friend played the Irish Pipes. He never busked before, but had a go on Fisherman's Wharf in SF.... Made $3000 in 3 days!!
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 21:23   #1480

My girlfriend and I are both building businesses that we can do from our computers or phones anywhere in the world. We can't cruise full time right now because I am part of a business in a landlocked part of the country that won't be ready to sell for a few more years.
Her business is going to allow her and her son to travel in the US for a year or two in an RV while they wait for me. There are opportunities out there, you just have to find something that gives you the freedom and flexibility that you need.
Nate.King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 21:34   #1481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.King View Post
My girlfriend and I are both building businesses that we can do from our computers or phones anywhere in the world. We can't cruise full time right now because I am part of a business in a landlocked part of the country that won't be ready to sell for a few more years.
Her business is going to allow her and her son to travel in the US for a year or two in an RV while they wait for me. There are opportunities out there, you just have to find something that gives you the freedom and flexibility that you need.
Very cool Nate. Can I ask - will you guys change your tax residence if/when you live on the water full time?

Do you currently use a US LLC for business? I know for foreigners they can be really useful as a disregarded entity.

I'm actually thinking of getting residency in Montenegro now to take advantage of it's 9% tax rate.
Old 11-02-2019, 21:41   #1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleandtax View Post
Very cool Nate. Can I ask - will you guys change your tax residence if/when you live on the water full time?

Do you currently use a US LLC for business? I know for foreigners they can be really useful as a disregarded entity.

I'm actually thinking of getting residency in Montenegro now to take advantage of it's 9% tax rate.
We are a few years off from leaving, so we have not finalized those plans yet, we are still in the building phase. We will rely heavily on the advise of our accountant when we get to that.

Any advice?
Nate.King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 21:51   #1483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.King View Post
We are a few years off from leaving, so we have not finalized those plans yet, we are still in the building phase. We will rely heavily on the advise of our accountant when we get to that.

Any advice?
It's very unique to each individual so a good tax expert is worth his weight in gold here.

Avoid taking advice from people like myself on the internet.

Most Americans will set up residence in a low tax country such as Andorra, Malaysia, Malta, Montenegro, Panama, etc (it really depends on where, if anywhere you have a home base) and then use the FEIE as possible to their favor.

The good news is, it sounds as though you have plenty of time to plan for this type of thing so can understand what you're doing/setting up as you work through it with your tax expert.
Old 19-02-2019, 00:00   #1484

I was wondering about the aspects of going commercial: there is a huge gap between the jump-in for nothing or cost sharing crewfinder vs 2000EUR per week charters, 6-700EUR/5days/person(!) sailing schools. Not to mention, even cost sharing might run into a red tape in some countries.

So far I gathered, additional costs:
- more expensive registration & survey, some jurisdictions might require local reg (?)
- the boat has to be in top condition inside and out, equipped for 6-10 passengers
- much more expensive liability insurance
- additional training and certifications
- likely more expensive berthing in a popular place
- advertising

In return: even with the best efforts and lot of work, you'll fill the boat capacity maybe 20% on average. What's the deal here? I don't see much chance for a singe 30-35' boat - then if you want bigger, all boat costs will grow as well.
Old 19-02-2019, 00:24   #1485

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

make a yt channel and beg on patreon, invite some of the patrons as an incentive - like a lottery. Is it commercial use or just inviting friends? They do not pay for the ride, but it can be illegal gambling?

Tags
paracelle