Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-10-2017, 05:00   #1456

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Except that I know some readers do not like to get quoted...
Some don't like to be quoted? Maybe. And some are way too over-sensitive.

Quote away. Post how you want to post, and what you want to post (so long as you don't run afoul of the moderators). If there are people who don't like it, they can ask for their money back!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 11:30   #1457

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
I work as a contract design engineer..
Mind if I ask what discipline you do work for? "Design" as in product design, or construction/building related? Are you a Degreed/Registered engineer?
I am asking as I work in the design field also and would like to be able to do it remotely as much as possible. I have worked in Architectural and Structural fields (AutoCAD and Revit mostly), but I am not an engineer of any sort..just a "lowly CAD guy"...I am also attending a local Tech school to learn Mechanical Eng Tech..(solidworks, catia, etc.)
Dream position would be to work as an independent contractor drawing for several firms and making a decent living..however, historically most firms are not interested in out sourcing the production part..for what reason I do not know..seems like a win-win to me.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 12:31   #1458

Boat: Leopard 39

Don't overlook artistic talent, if you have it. I had an uncle who supplemented his cruising kitty by doing pen and ink drawings of landlubbers' homes, and yachts on the water. He would draw them, which he enjoyed doing, and then approach the owners to see if they were interested in buying them. If they weren't, he framed them and sold them to gift shops. Could be water colors, could be oils, whatever.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 19:45   #1459

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

SV Windrush, I also worked as a contract engineer aka "job shopper." My formal education is an Associate Degree in Architectural Design, from Lain Technical in Evansville Ind. Circa 1960. Surprisingly I never had an architectural drafting job. 35+- years in mechanical and aircraft. This was in the old days prior to cad. The employment adds used to read "must have experience with ink on mylar." My first contract job was in Rochester New York with C & D must have been 50 years ago. After ending up in the San Francisco bay area "and a boat to live on." I had enough experience to work on my own ticket. Leaving the job shop out of it. In those days there was a lot of contract work and it was easy to stay employed in the bay area. Ended up in Seattle, contract with the big B. where I retired. I think you can still make it with engineering contract work. Now it seems there are contract jobs in many fields. From medical to bar-tending. My advice would be "find something you like, learn it cold and stick to it. The money will follow." borrowed from Ron Paul, a multi millionaire. Who also ran for president. Try to avoid to many asset splitting divorces, to many mind numbing vices and to many toys. But on the other hand go for it. "And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music." Friedrick Nietzsche, Good Luck.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 01:12   #1460

Don't think i will have a problem with enough income to stay afloat.

I build web sites from scratch, no paper cutting, as they do not fit in a template mold.
These are wholesale/retail sites along with inventory control.

Set monthly pricing whether i do any work on them or not.

Will wait till next year and get back into programming EAs for equity traders that think they have the magic trading strategy to make them a millionaire overnight.

Programming is certainly a way to have income when still floating around the world.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 05:31   #1461

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
SV Windrush, I also worked as a contract engineer aka "job shopper." My formal education is an Associate Degree in Architectural Design, ..
I have been in the architectural field, and now structural field for most of the past 25-ish years. I think with the advent of CAD, the skill level has changed and the need for "specialized" people seems different. Many younger architects do the work themselves..less hand sketching and then handing it to a drafter to put to construction documents..more brainstorming is done on computer than before. The firms I have worked for have hired contract people for in house work, etc. BUT contracting or outsourcing drafting work has happened less times than I can count on 1 hand..it just does not seem to be something that most firms do..I tried to drum up some interest the last time I was laid off...no dice. I would certainly love to work from home/boat with about 3-4 good clients to keep me busy, but I have just not been able to see interest from anyone about doing that..sad really because it seems like something that would work out for all involved...at least I feel like it would work out for me. Lol.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 11:47   #1462

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

As you become better known and your CAD work becomes more accepted. The out of house philosophy on work may change. Otherwise a 3-4 month assignment back in house may not be all that bad. Except for the meetings. Good luck with working North in the Summer and South in the Winter. Rarely happened that way for me. I had three six month contracts with IBM in three different facilities. Owego NY Winter, Huntsville AL. Summer and Longmont Colo. Winter. Working for IBM is great. They always have good cafeterias and lots of young beautiful women, right out of High School/College. Plus you are treated with respect as being an expert in your trade. If I had been living on a boat with fewer expenses a six month job would have been enough. In those days I was paying child support so I needed to earn more. Try the Bay area you can move your boat around and sometimes bicycle to work.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:29   #1463

I have been getting into the "maker" craze of younger somethings over the past few years.

For those of you who do not know what a "maker" is, it is someone who "makes" anything/everything. I have an autoworker background and have recently been working on the side doing blacksmith and 3D printing work... I could see the usefulness of making custom items on the ocean such as brackets or intricate decorations (out of various metals...steel, stainless or casted bronze/brass/copper). These seem like useful skills for oddity type jobs that I could pick up while cruising... HOWEVER...

The amount of space that is required for this type of work is space/safety prohibitive of work on the boat.

Has anyone heard of a blacksmith sailor? Is it feasible/possible?

Thanks!
Homeward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:58   #1464

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeward13 View Post
I have been getting into the "maker" craze of younger somethings over the past few years.

For those of you who do not know what a "maker" is, it is someone who "makes" anything/everything. I have an autoworker background and have recently been working on the side doing blacksmith and 3D printing work... I could see the usefulness of making custom items on the ocean such as brackets or intricate decorations (out of various metals...steel, stainless or casted bronze/brass/copper). These seem like useful skills for oddity type jobs that I could pick up while cruising... HOWEVER...

The amount of space that is required for this type of work is space/safety prohibitive of work on the boat.

Thanks!
I am a retired Engineering Blacksmith, And I sail a 34 foot sailing Catamaran,
Did it for 50 years, When steam ended, I then lowered my self to being a DLI welder and Boilermaker, Its still a small part of my trade,
I did prefer Blacksmithing under a Steam Hammer, The better part of my skills,
Its a bit hard to carry a Steam or Drop hammer on a boat,
But the early sailing ships did carry a Blacksmith on board for repairs on any thing that broke, Plus making tools to use on the vessels,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 13:07   #1465

Boat: Moody 376

I couldn't find this idea by searching all the expanded threat here, so I share. Myself, I worked as a digital marketing guy for a large fitness chain. This gave me after a while, let's say 9 years now, a special skill in setting up Google AdWords campaigns and bring new clients to fitness, health clubs, gyms. I just know this industry, but know my ****. So that's the way I make a living cruising.

Later, I actually came up with the idea to paint 'get active' to my spinnaker. Because I really think, entire generations have to stop looking at their lives on a 2 inch screen. Haven't bought this spinnaker yet, but it's on the list. maybe I should get patrons.
pantarhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 16:46   #1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I am a retired Engineering Blacksmith, And I sail a 34 foot sailing Catamaran,
Did it for 50 years, When steam ended, I then lowered my self to being a DLI welder and Boilermaker, Its still a small part of my trade,
I did prefer Blacksmithing under a Steam Hammer, The better part of my skills,
Its a bit hard to carry a Steam or Drop hammer on a boat,
But the early sailing ships did carry a Blacksmith on board for repairs on any thing that broke, Plus making tools to use on the vessels,

Cheers, Brian,
Very cool, yeah my grandpa was a Chief Petty Officer in the navy. He was stationed on a light cruiser (USS Worcester) and worked in the workshop on the ship.

I was hoping to follow in his steps a bit by taking my smithing on the road (or waves rather) as well lol.

Hard to do with a family though..
Homeward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 20:26   #1467

Three Words... Short Tesla Now!!!
tkdtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 21:04   #1468

Boat: Catalina 470

I think many are BUT many have for sometime.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 03:55   #1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeward13 View Post
Thanks!
You make it happen. Thats where the opportunity lays.
MainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:25   #1470

Boat: Bayliner 3870 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
6. Direct deposit on the dividend checks
If you set yourself up well this can be good tax-wise. I keep my residence in a low-tax country, and if you own shares in the UK instead of USA there are no withholding taxes.
tackleandtax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle