Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 23:36   #1321
Sol

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Hi everyone! Has anyone tried to catch fish and sell it on the shore?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:12   #1322
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
Hi everyone! Has anyone tried to catch fish and sell it on the shore?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
If you do this in the US you have to have a commercial fishing license.

If you do this in another country (assuming you are not a citizen of that country), especially in a third world country, commercial fishing is one of the most common sources of money for the lower income locals. You will be seen as stealing their livelihood, very easily found out (your potential customers are probably cousins or neighbors of the local fishermen) and immediately pay the consequences which might be fines, expulsion or even jail.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:55   #1323
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You will be seen as stealing their livelihood, very easily found out (your potential customers are probably cousins or neighbors of the local fishermen) and immediately pay the consequences which might be fines, expulsion or even jail.
That's assuming that the consequences come from the authorities.
They could be much worse if the consequences come from the local fishermen
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 13:24   #1324

There is a Guy named Drake, has a YT channel called Drake paragon. He makes money I think doing coding for people. He used to be a computer programmer. Other ways would of course you can make money is website design, and like other people have said, making money from YT, however in my experience unless your channel and videos go viral the funds from a TY video are very small. I found Dropshipping is a way to make an easy $500 - per month on ebay or amazon
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 13:33   #1325

Remote computer work and writing ebooks look like viable options for me with a satellite wifi connection on a cruising boat.
sjenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 11:09   #1326

Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41

I currently work as a c#, Dot Net programmer from my boat.

If there are enough of us I will launch a web site for programmer to programmer (while cruising) discussions.

PM me if you want to get into programming while cruising.

Internet is totally required and the cheapest to use whatever marina/library/sandwich or coffee shop, is available, next is Hughes Net Satellite, with a back up of an ATT MyFii 4 GL cellular unit.

PM me if you want to know more about how it all works.

I post my resume on Dice and Monster and I get about 5 calls a day for more work, only 1 of those a week is for remote work, usually 6 month contracts.

Full time, in motion internet is VERY pricey. It is not really practical.

SSB modem is really too slow ( at this point ).

I have a nice captains area on my boat so I use dual 24 inch monitors and a laptop.
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 19:22   #1327

Re: Make-Money-While-Cruising List

I plan to carry several rebuild kits for the most common Yanmar engines. To R&R a 3 gm and do the rebuild is two days. (weather permitting) Standard rate? In the neighborhood of $3500. I have ALL the parts, and the skills. For that price, your engine will run as good as a new one. (maybe better) I do not expect to be able to stay busy all the time, but if I do one and a half a month (average) I can survive. The alternative is to buy a good block (and Head) rebuild at my leisure, and then just sell the engine at the next port. $2000 invested, engine is worth $5000. Install as a courtesy.
Robert C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 21:56   #1328

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but it seems to me that refrigerator and sail repair would be very in-demand skills.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 17:59   #1329

Boat: 2002 Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
I'm a little surprised by this thread. I've been building companies and products and selling services for my entire career. The moment you step onto your boat and cut the lines, the opportunity to "touch" vast numbers of customers reduces - if you need to physically be in contact with them. So businesses onboard and cruising (as contrasted from fixed location liveaboards) need to find a way to generate a lot of money from the single few prospects or they need to find a way to not have to "touch" the customer. The internet provides the latter solution.

Now I'm not saying that having a service business while cruising is bad. It can easily generate money. But it sure will take a lot of effort because you'll need to make contact with a lot of people to get a few sales. And since the point of cruising is to go out and explore, you're constantly in an environment of explaining what you do individually to other boats you happen to come into contact with. That's really tough.

If you have a business that is internet-based, you have as much access to the millions of people you'd like to reach as easily as anyone in an office in Manhattan. You'll need internet access and that will limit some cruising areas - it's hard to do a 19 day crossing and run an internet business for example.

Here's the easiest model for creating an internet business while cruising:

1. Find something you know a lot about. It's especially appropriate if it's something that cruisers would want - watermakers, chartplotters, anchors, inverters, LED lighting, holding tank vents, hose materials, sealants...it doesn't matter what the subject is.

2. Pick your mountain top and be THE expert in it. Create a web site that is the be-all information source on that one subject. Part of the subject selection process is looking around to make sure you can be THE site.

3. Don't write articles at first for others - write them for your own site. Write lots of them on every aspect of your subject area.

4. Have a place on the web site where you sell the products you talk about. One mistake people make here is to change the articles and information presented on the site based on the products they actually sell. That's a sure way to slit your throat in the short term. Be honest about the products you sell and be 100% truthful about the articles you write - even if it makes a product you sell look less than perfect.

5. Set up relationships with distributors who can drop ship their products directly to the customer. No inventory, no stocking, no return handling, etc. This will reduce your possible profit but a lot of this economic engine is just going to run without you having to touch it. This won't be without hassles. Every business has hassles.

A couple of major, odd things about this that are different from almost every other business and model - something the internet tends to produce:

- Your customer is the person who comes to your site to read your material. That customer might never buy anything from you. It is his needs you have to serve though. If you concentrate only on the people who buy from you, you'll lose the real marketing advantage of attracting large numbers of people. This is a very backwards way of looking at a "store". Most stores hate tire kickers. You have to love them.

- You pretty much have to know web site technologies to make this happen. If you have to pay someone every time you need to make a small change, you're going to eat up all of your profits. Learning html, css, shopping carts, etc. might seem like a lot. There are vast resources and to be honest, it's really not that hard if you have an open mind about it. Think about all of the thousands of web sites you've run across - the people running them aren't all experienced software developers.

- It takes time. It's not going to be like that UPS ad from a few years ago where the website goes public and the counter starts flying with the number of customers served. Any business worth anything doesn't happen overnight. It takes investment and continuous effort. For most internet businesses like I've described, the investment is your time. Every business requires time or money.

We are full-time cruisers. We've been operating under this model for a few years. We decided that the world was going to change from paper guidebooks (that we used and understood very well) to electronic guidebooks. I'm a software developer so our model is slightly different than I described above but it is very similar. Our primary mountain top is that guidebook type of cruising and planning information and the integration and capabilities it can provide. We have a secondary mountain top about mobile phones. See our 18-part article series about using mobile phones on boats - four hundred thousand people have read them. The series was the first ever recipient of a web-based Boat Writers International award. Today magazines come to us looking for information about electronic cruising guides and mobile phones on boats. My picture was in the November issue of Passagemaker and the April 2010 issue of Yachting along with articles about mobile phones and the iPad. We've been talked about in every major boating magazine - recipient of SAIL's Pittman Innovation Award for 2009, Power & Motoryacht - multiple articles, Soundings, Panbo.com (every month or so), OceanLines.com (multiple articles), and on and on. My point isn't to blow our horn - it's to prove that this marketing technique works with zero budget: (1) be THE expert, and (2) stick with it. Do that and the media (and customers) will come running to you, even if you're on a boat. Heck, especially if you're on a boat - it makes for a better story.
Nicely done Jeff

Some folks are looking to supplement income, just part time to pay for some expenses.
Some are looking to replace their current income.
Everyone has their level of need.

Yours is the upper level combined with your passion of cruising!

I can not help but be curious about the number of hours you spend running your business when cruising.
Share if your I mind to.
Panacea2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:15   #1330

Hi. I've just found this post so I thought I'd add my bit.
When I set off in about 18 months I'll be taking my boat building tools. I'm quite well practiced as I've been in the business for a few years and I'm well trained. However, the tools are heavy and take up the aft cabin.
I've been cleaning houses lately which pays well and there's some skill in that too. If I make my boat shine out above the rest, I hope to do some boat valetting.
With all the language and legal problems I will be experiencing though, there's a good chance that my musical skills might be most handy as I can do more work under the radar.
I'm also not planning to go alone. I'm taking up to three friends with me. As our food cost will be very low this shouldn't be a problem but four of us can raise funds for the boat and mooring fees much more easily.
So what do you think? Do I have a chance?

Sent from my SM-T116 using Tapatalk
TravellerNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:31   #1331

Boat: Looking for 30-50' preferable a schooner
Send a message via Skype™ to craigglewis

Sounds like a good plan to me. I will be doing similar, yet not sure if I will get too many coppers, with my singing
craigglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:32   #1332
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellerNick View Post
Hi. I've just found this post so I thought I'd add my bit.
When I set off in about 18 months I'll be taking my boat building tools. I'm quite well practiced as I've been in the business for a few years and I'm well trained. However, the tools are heavy and take up the aft cabin.
I've been cleaning houses lately which pays well and there's some skill in that too. If I make my boat shine out above the rest, I hope to do some boat valetting.
With all the language and legal problems I will be experiencing though, there's a good chance that my musical skills might be most handy as I can do more work under the radar.
I'm also not planning to go alone. I'm taking up to three friends with me. As our food cost will be very low this shouldn't be a problem but four of us can raise funds for the boat and mooring fees much more easily.
So what do you think? Do I have a chance?

Will depend a great deal on where you are and where you will be cruising.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:34   #1333

U.K., Baltic, the Med and beyond.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:41   #1334
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellerNick View Post
U.K., Baltic, the Med and beyond.

Well if you're also a UK or EU citizen that will make working in the Baltic and northern Med a lot easier, at least (if you're UK) until Brexit happens and then things might change. Things get dicier when you get into poorer and third world countries where the locals have fewer opportunities and are much more protective of their sources of income.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:53   #1335

Yeah, you'd think. But my previous experiences working abroad have led me into waiting weeks for paperwork. So if I wait it out I might as well emigrate there for a few months to make it worth while. Or I could get all the paperwork sorted before I Ieave for every country I might visit. That's more of a headache than I can handle.

Tags
paracelle