Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-08-2014, 22:27   #1021

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_alpine View Post
One thing to be aware of with the paypal is if you have 200 transactions OR $20,000 in transactions within a year they will report the income to Uncle Sam.
Here in Oz one is only required to report income on one's Aussie tax return if the income is:
1. "Australian-sourced".
2. One is a "resident for tax purposes".

Neither of which would be the case in my scenario, though one is 'supposed' to lodge a tax return in the country where one IS residing, but then that would alert the authorities wouldn't it...

The 'Australian-sourced' part might make using an Aussie PayPal account unwise, even though both the work and the loot are gathered outside of Oz.

Even though PayPal is supposedly international, the response above would tend to indicate that they are decidedly insular in this country. Might be the adverse result of the anti-terror laws, and their ugly twin sister the anti-money-laundering laws. Damn you Al Qaeda!

Laws, laws and more laws. One of the many reasons I'm off to greener pastures.

There'll be a way, and I'll find it.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 23:11   #1022

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Bitcoins?

I saw an ATM in Brisbane where you could swap cash for bitcoins and vice versa.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:39   #1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Bitcoins?

I saw an ATM in Brisbane where you could swap cash for bitcoins and vice versa.
Indeed, i was thinking of bitcoin.
Anyone know if i can convert bitcoins to cash in the UK?
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:15   #1024
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I didn't read this list but if it hasn't been brought up yet, a document agency company located in the BVI's would be a good business. I'm paying around $1300 to Pensum in the Cayman's to act as my agent in the BVI's and it's a total rip off. But I can't find any other option. I think the actual cost to file corporate doc's in the BVI's is $300 so you could make some easy jack somehow on this.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:20   #1025

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby

My Uncle's name is Bob...
I know the IRS has long tentacles, but to date they've generally left us Aussies alone.

Matt
Compass 28
Bob's your uncle?! Must be nice!
Old 04-09-2014, 14:03   #1026

How about Hair cuts and mani-pedi's. $15 dollar hair cuts on a beach!
KatieRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 14:07   #1027
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"$15 dollar hair cuts on a beach! "
Is the US the only nation where you can be fined and jailed for giving haircuts without a proper license?
And, at least for men, $15 can and will buy me a haircut in any major east coast city, which are the most expensive markets in the country.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:15   #1028
Armchair Bucketeer

What getting into the back, crack and sack market?

And maybe diversifying into bleaching........

Vaginal Anal Bleach Sensitive Skin Sure White Intensive Toning Cream 50g | eBay
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39   #1029

And what about having multiple Paypal accounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_alpine View Post
One thing to be aware of with the paypal is if you have 200 transactions OR $20,000 in transactions within a year they will report the income to Uncle Sam.

Check out www.Stripe.com. Their fees are lower than Paypal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
Just got a discouraging reply from PayPal, to my international transaction enquiry:

Dear Matt,
Thank you for contacting PayPal.
I understand that you would like to know if it’s possible for you to have an Australian PayPal account in UK, can accept payment using foreign credit cards and the fees that will be charge.
You cannot use your Australian PayPal Here to receive payments in UK. One of the PayPal Here feature it has GPS that you can only use this device in one country/region.
If you want to continue receiving payments through PayPal here you need to create a UK Business PayPal account and apply for PayPal here UK.
Here’s how to sign up for a PayPal account:
1. Go to www.paypal.com.au.
2. Click ‘Sign up’ at the top of the page.
3. Select your country or region and your language.
4. Choose the account type you want (Personal, Premier or Business) and click ‘Get Started.’
5. Enter the required information and click ‘Continue.’
6. Check your email for a confirmation email from PayPal (the email might take a few minutes to reach your inbox).
7. Click the confirmation link in the email.
8. Enter your password and click ‘Confirm.’

After you complete the sign up process, you can immediately use your PayPal account to send and receive money.
Once you have applied for ‘Business Account’ in UK PayPal you can apply for PayPal Here in UK. For more information about PayPal Here UK you can contact UK PayPal Customer Support at this number 0800 358 7911 from 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday, from 8am to 9pm on Saturday and from 9am to 9pm on Sunday.

In line with your concern, that you would like to move your balance from Australian Savings account to UK bank account you can do it by bank to bank transfer.

I can see that you have an available balance of USD $136.41 on your PayPal account. Once you have created a UK PayPal account, we can request for your PayPal balance from Australian PayPal account to be transferred to your UK PayPal account.
Thank you for choosing PayPal.

Sincerely,
Heidi
PayPal

Hmmm. All over PayPal's website are words like "international" and "without borders" etc...

"Global" my *rse...
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 13:33   #1030

Hi all, I am from Ukraine and I quite new to cruising. I was pushed to idea of leaving on board because of war. I have read your ideas of earning money during trip. So many people dreaming about the same way of living. You can make your our own foundation with bonds. Every involved people or supportive buying bonds. Developing foundation you can hire financial/investment manager. Bonds is your guarantee to get monthly dividends. No bank commissions, no bank fees. Foundation(organization) can take part in research, charity, filming, logistic, chartering, crewing, marketing activities etc. Just thoughts. And I am sorry for my poor English.
yaievgeniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:41   #1031

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaievgeniy View Post
Hi all, I am from Ukraine and I quite new to cruising. I was pushed to idea of leaving on board because of war. I have read your ideas of earning money during trip. So many people dreaming about the same way of living. You can make your our own foundation with bonds. Every involved people or supportive buying bonds. Developing foundation you can hire financial/investment manager. Bonds is your guarantee to get monthly dividends. No bank commissions, no bank fees. Foundation(organization) can take part in research, charity, filming, logistic, chartering, crewing, marketing activities etc. Just thoughts. And I am sorry for my poor English.
Welcome to Cruiser's Forum. It is an absolute tragedy what is happening in your country.

I really don't understand your idea, I'm afraid (and not because of your English. Your English is just fine).

A bond is just a private loan. I think that you are suggesting creating a foundation and then offering bonds? Then friends, family or others would give you the money to go cruising? That could certainly work. The only problem is that now you have to make enough money to survive and also to pay interest to your bond holders. You say that you get dividends. This isn't true. You pay dividends to the people who gave you their money as an investment in your company.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:54   #1032

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Good idea Dave I have some left over resin and hardener I can give waxes on the beach
Old 10-09-2014, 15:06   #1033
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, no, a bond is typically not just a private loan in the US but rather it is a highly regulated financial instrument. Corporations and municipalities sell bonds to raise major amounts of money, but the bonds are in turn resold at a profit by different financial houses (banks and brokers) and the whole process is under federal regulation.

And the money raised by bonds, has to be repaid to the borrower, with interest.

Even if you found something unique enough to create yet another non-profit or not-for-profit corporation in the US, you'd have to be a very skilled marketing expert to get people to contribute money to it.

Which is why people who want to go sailing sometimes put up a Kickstarter page, or a Facebook page, or some other web blog and then just try to get other people to send them money. Some of them do get some funding that way. Others, not.

But "bonds" ? Wrong word for it, in the US.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 22:30   #1034

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
What getting into the back, crack and sack market?

And maybe diversifying into bleaching........

Vaginal Anal Bleach Sensitive Skin Sure White Intensive Toning Cream 50g | eBay
Fess up David. Sounds like an infomercial where you pronounce to not only be the CEO, but also a satisfied client! Full disclosure ....
Old 11-09-2014, 03:43   #1035
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, yaievgeniy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle