Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 10:07   #961

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

I didn't make it through the entire thread, so maybe someone has mentioned this, but the answer is video.

Today, few people read books, which is how the it was done in the past. Now everyone wants video.

Record video constantly, edit together the best clips of the entire trip including storms, or calms, women, swimming, broken equipment, etc, or simply explain how you are navigating, what you are doing and why.

Upload to youtube and other video sites, accepting advertising and clicks.

Once you have a bunch of video up there, you can start getting other businesses purchase an advertisement, or get products in exchange for you using it on the trip. The money comes in while you are sailing.

As much as I hate advertising being worked into every video, it would work and require no real "work" on your part other than sailing, turning on gopro's, and editing video later.

I know it works, because I have people who do this for my own business... we supply products, they use it and review it and get millions of hits. Helps them get hits and increase value of their video, helps me sell products. Win/Win.

This is my first post to the forum, hope it helps.

P.S. Please, for all that is left in the world which is good, do not create fake drama... we don't need more fake reality shows.

Tom
vic20owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:19   #962
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
I didn't make it through the entire thread, so maybe someone has mentioned this, but the answer is video.

Today, few people read books, which is how the it was done in the past. Now everyone wants video.

Record video constantly, edit together the best clips of the entire trip including storms, or calms, women, swimming, broken equipment, etc, or simply explain how you are navigating, what you are doing and why.

Upload to youtube and other video sites, accepting advertising and clicks.

Once you have a bunch of video up there, you can start getting other businesses purchase an advertisement, or get products in exchange for you using it on the trip. The money comes in while you are sailing.

As much as I hate advertising being worked into every video, it would work and require no real "work" on your part other than sailing, turning on gopro's, and editing video later.

I know it works, because I have people who do this for my own business... we supply products, they use it and review it and get millions of hits. Helps them get hits and increase value of their video, helps me sell products. Win/Win.

This is my first post to the forum, hope it helps.

P.S. Please, for all that is left in the world which is good, do not create fake drama... we don't need more fake reality shows.

Tom
Hey Tom....you are basically describing a YouTube video cruising blog, which is a great idea. Don't under estimate the time it would take to make a nice one, however. Anyone can point a Iphone and talk about the anchorage they are in, but putting together quality videos and segments that people would come back to see is a LOT of work...but on the other hand it would make money....hands down. Another BUT...the dream/myth of having people give you free stuff. I get a call per week...yet...sometimes TWO and they go like this.

"We are going cruisng and if you give us a water maker, CoolBlue refrigerator one of everything else you make and sell we will talk good about you and your product in our blog. People love us. We are popular. We are hip and cool. We will be a big hit for you".

I could write a book about the pitches...and so have all the other cruising gear manufactures, we joke about this standing aroud at the boat shows and swap stories.

So before you start approaching vendors, you will need a working, functioning blog with FOLLOWERS. Not just a dream or promise because we get those every day.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:05   #963

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Upload to youtube and other video sites

This is my first post to the forum, hope it helps

Tom[/QUOTE]

Awesome first post keep them coming. Edit: and don't forget to introduce yourself on the meets and greets
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:31   #964
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

That's kinda like a crowdsourcing alternative to saying "Freelance for the sailing magazines" except of course, folks who can do that probably already had the skills and were already being authors. In a really competitive field.

Just how many views do you need on a Utube video in order to earn one Yankee dollar anyway?

Oh, and creating drama? That's the difference between Clark Kent and Ernest Hemingway. Nothing wrong with drama, it sells!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 18:43   #965

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
That's kinda like a crowdsourcing alternative to saying "Freelance for the sailing magazines" except of course, folks who can do that probably already had the skills and were already being authors. In a really competitive field.

Just how many views do you need on a Utube video in order to earn one Yankee dollar anyway?

Oh, and creating drama? That's the difference between Clark Kent and Ernest Hemingway. Nothing wrong with drama, it sells!
Agree, but truth will always sell longer than lies. People will smell a rat eventually and hate you for it. Fiction is one thing, but fake reality is not the same thing.

"Tinkerbell" is a much more interesting story than Balloon Boy... don't be Balloon Boy.

Old 09-06-2014, 18:46   #966

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
"We are going cruisng and if you give us a water maker, CoolBlue refrigerator one of everything else you make and sell we will talk good about you and your product in our blog. People love us. We are popular. We are hip and cool. We will be a big hit for you".

I could write a book about the pitches...and so have all the other cruising gear manufactures, we joke about this standing aroud at the boat shows and swap stories.

So before you start approaching vendors, you will need a working, functioning blog with FOLLOWERS. Not just a dream or promise because we get those every day.
I agree with this completely, I forgot to mention all of the sales pitches we would get, no kidding: "I just got an ambulance with 40" rims and a boom box the size of a coke machine. Bro I got it all for free to promise to pimp it at sporting events. Can we have your (product) for free so we can pimp it in our ambulance... Bro we are huge"

Short answer: No. Long Answer: No thanks.

Be professional and be treated like a professional. Build a reputation not a gimmick.
Old 09-06-2014, 18:58   #967

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
don't forget to introduce yourself on the meets and greets
Where can I find the meets and greets?
Thanks
Tom
Old 09-06-2014, 20:34   #968

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:

Where can I find the meets and greets?
Thanks
Tom
Click on forums then welcome aboard then meets and greets
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 05:49   #969

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
That's exactly what I have been telling my cruiser friends. One vid is nothing, get 1000's and then it will be something. I know people living off Youtube's profits. 1000 impressions get them something like 2-3-4 dollars. They have 1000's of clips though.

And no need to build a video blog. Just film film film, cut in pieces, and post. About anything, but preferably using proper keywords. There is a whole bunch of tutorials available.

That's something I would do if I wouldn't already have my business. Easy, fun, and starts being profitable after you get enough stuff out there.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 07:08   #970

Boat: Seaward 22

Rick Moore is doing this youtube thing. Never thought about him making a buck off me watching it. Good for him though.

No affiliation, just a happy watcher when I need a tropical fix.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIc...ZofseMdrJUKMhQ
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 10:13   #971

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Rick Moore is doing this youtube thing. Never thought about him making a buck off me watching it.
He has only 271 videos, so he is unlikely to make any serious dinero - yet, but if he keeps doing it, and add a couple thousands more, then...

Excellent videos though!
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 10:45   #972

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
This part of your "investing", if it was during the year I am guessing means you were simply not paying attention. Or paying attention to the wrong persons.
I think your response shows that you are not paying attention to the risks of depending on cash allocation with respect to speculative systems.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 14:37   #973

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I think your response shows that you are not paying attention to the risks of depending on cash allocation with respect to speculative systems.
Uhhhhh......??
Old 28-06-2014, 22:50   #974

Being tied to a marina would just about end my cruising days.
ciblanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 17:25   #975

Lol, great dedication & summary Hank! This is my first read as a member of the forum. So glad I saw your post I would add- be a business owner that can leave & trust their management to run things in their absence. That is my hope for the future!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IslandSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle