Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 07:04   #691
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
And I thought posting SPAM was forbidden

"NO SPAM! Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants may not post affiliate links or links to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest. Exception to this may be found in Signature Standards, Marine-Related Commercial Posting, Sponsoring Vendors and Commercial Members (see below)."
Yea ,No SPAM..I hate the stuff..I do like green eggs and ham but I do not like SPAM,Sam..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 19:23   #692

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Yea ,No SPAM..I hate the stuff..I do like green eggs and ham but I do not like SPAM,Sam..

I was quoting the Rules & Regs.
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 19:54   #693
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I was quoting the Rules & Regs.
I was quoting Ted Geisel....
Old 04-02-2014, 08:42   #694

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I was quoting Ted Geisel....
Is being facetious a Dr. Seuss thing ? Just asking ..
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:40   #695
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Is being facetious a Dr. Seuss thing ? Just asking ..
Just being goofy ,as to not take myself to seriously..Just goofing..
Old 09-02-2014, 08:31   #696

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
Hi

I make my bread and butter from writing (have done for 30 years), so here are a few suggestions for this thread for those of you that are interested in doing this as an income source whilst cruising.

1. ODesk and ELance are now the market place for freelancers (all types: if it can be done on a computer remotely, this is the place to find work). Don't expect to make much money until you have a portfolio and reputation, but it can be well paid once you build your reputation. You can usually find projects with a timeline to suit your shore time.

Reinhardt

Hi all,

Though I would give you an update about this. I jumped on odesk and Elance a couple of weeks ago. So far, I've billed just over $400.

Now that hasn't been easy. As a newbie there, I've had to take jobs with really tight deadlines and lousy pay. But, As I've supplied some of the job givers more than once and they find I do original, quality work and meet deadlines (this is just unbelievably important), they have started paying me more.

Even better, they are now sending me work without posting it on odesk (payment still goes through there).

So this is an option, but be aware you need to work at (well, nothing else in life is free either). Many have very tight deadlines, so this kind of work can only be done when you are somewhere with a good internet connection.

I suspect if it is possible to get some long term contracts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 11:35   #697

Not to throw cold water on everyone's dreams, but I'll offer a reality check on a couple of suggestions I've seen, because it seems like what everyone is looking for is a way to make money without having to do stuff that seems like work, or at least not a lot of work.

Writing
Read here for Fatty Goodlander's yarn about how he got to where he is now:
Fatty Goodlander, S/V Wild Card - Writers only!
No doubt every one of you has read something written by Fatty. He's a great writer. He's spent practically his whole life on the water. He has talent and he has credibility, the two things you need to make a living at - well - anything. I've found a few bloggers who are making money also - not a lot - but enough to keep sailing. Just like Fatty, they have talent, credibility from years of sailing, and they work. They work a lot. Fatty said he works eight hours a day. Another said she worked six.

I co-authored a programming book a few years ago. It was interesting and fun, but I'd have made more money if I'd worked those hours at McDonals for minimum wage.
JGarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 11:39   #698

Photography/Video
Stock agencies don't want to talk to you unless you have thousands of photos to submit, and they're all top quality. They don't want your three dozen nice beach or sunset shots. Also, photo equipment isn't cheap. I know a guy who is a top wildlife photographer - a National Geographic quality guy. He probably has something in the neighborhood of $30K - $40K worth of photo gear and whatever backcountry travel gear he needs to get where the animals live. He's great at this, and loves it, but it's a business. He's invested in it and works hard.

Video is far more expensive, and you need good sound which is even more expensive, not to mention complex and esoteric. Go to youtube and watch a few videos of boats under sail. Mostly you hear wind noise. I have a kit I use just to get OK video sound for stuff like kids baseball games and have about $2000 into it for two OK mics, a low-end digital audio recorder, cabling, etc., plus a DSLR with cheap consumer lenses that can shoot HD video, plus assorted accessories. You could certainly start with something like what I'm using, but if you want to keep people visiting your youtube channel, you're going to need to make things look professional.

You'll also need to plan to spend several hours in post production for every hour of finished video. With $5K to $10K worth of gear, you can produce professional quality video if you have the talent. If you want editing that's powerful and works well, plan on dropping more money on some good video and audio editing software.

All told, it takes real money to get good results, and it takes talent, technical skill, and hard work.
Old 14-02-2014, 11:46   #699

Tech Whatever
If this work were easy, people wouldn't be paying well for it. Unless you're already a skilled developer, you're not going to become one dabbling at it part time or taking a freebie online course. Technology is changing at an incredible pace, and what you know now won't be worth a nickle in five years time, so plan on devoting maybe a hundred hours a year just to keep your skills current. Also, there are literally millions of people in India with current skills who are willing to work for a tenth of what you want to get paid. There's also less and less you can do disconnected. I work at home, but couldn't do it without a broadband connection. I spend most of my time on RDP sessions to other computers. Sure, you can probably whip up a simple web site for someone, but what happens when you need to debug it or resolve some problem. You'll need to be available and connected. The little known secret in software development (among outsiders, that is) is that nearly all of the money that's spent on it goes to maintenance and support, not new products. If you can gain and keep your technical skills, you might pull in a some freelance work, but customers that need real work done want to work with people who will be there to support it.
Old 14-02-2014, 11:58   #700

Here's my last point on this:

Be careful taking up as an occupation something you do for fun. Years ago, I was an avid hobbyist photographer. Following the "do something you love" theory, I went to work doing that, and shot portraits and weddings for a few years. I was decent at it. Not great, but certainly good. The problem was that I ruined a perfectly good hobby. After I got out of that business, it was many years before I could pick up a camera without having it feel like work.

I'd strongly encourage you to give this some serious thought before trying to turn that blog you like writing into a source of income, because if you're skilled, talented, and maybe a little lucky, and it does start raking in real cash, you'll come to adjust to having that cash, and then you'll need to write those blog posts even when you don't want to and you'll have turned a hobby into a job.

For some people this works, and it's great if you can earn a living doing something you love, but for some people - like me - it turned something I love into something I didn't love.
Old 14-02-2014, 12:14   #701

Boat: hunter 376

My wife's cousin is a highly-rated computer whiz/web designer, at least in his own mind, and can't seem to keep a job for more than a few weeks. I, myself, received many accolades in high school for writing skills far above average, but, when I finally decided to pen the great novel, the result was a series of well-crafted paragraphs that went no where, had no continuity, and plot development was atrocious. Can't write, can't sing, and have no artistic ability. I'd bet that 90% who think they have the skills to make money doing those things do not have the talent they think they do. (Just look at American Idol.)
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 12:19   #702

Boat: Vancouver 27

Good points, JGarrick.

As far as IT goes, support and maintenance is certainly a major undercurrent that can keep you tied to land. I'm currently a freelancer who lives onboard most of the year. I have a good network of clients but it's difficult finding project-based work with a concrete end date. Most of my day-to-day work these days is regular maintenance from past development projects. I will need to find a partner or assistant to shoulder the workload at times before I can do anything resembling long-term cruising.

I think it's more about your network though than anything else when it comes to finding work. And you don't have to have a deep background in it to make a living. I didn't know what HTML was 5 years ago but was slowly able to get into it because it fit well into my lifestyle and I was willing to learn. Once I got my foot in the door it has been easy to find work and the pay is good.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 12:24   #703

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Did anyone mention male prostitution yet? I didn't think so....

Well I know I'd starve

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 04:22   #704

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarrick View Post
Not to throw cold water on everyone's dreams, but I'll offer a reality check on a couple of suggestions I've seen, because it seems like what everyone is looking for is a way to make money without having to do stuff that seems like work, or at least not a lot of work.

Writing
Fatty Goodlander, S/V Wild Card - Writers only!
No doubt every one of you has read something written by Fatty. He's a great writer. He's spent practically his whole life on the water. He has talent and he has credibility, the two things you need to make a living at - well - anything. I've found a few bloggers who are making money also - not a lot - but enough to keep sailing. Just like Fatty, they have talent, credibility from years of sailing, and they work. They work a lot. Fatty said he works eight hours a day. Another said she worked six.

I co-authored a programming book a few years ago. It was interesting and fun, but I'd have made more money if I'd worked those hours at McDonals for minimum wage.
JG

You're right, of course.Your hobby becomes work when you do it full time. My day job is working for the Danish Sailing Association, which means I spend my time on things related to sailing. So far, I've managed to hang on to my joy of sailing-although some of my colleagues haven't been on a boat for sheer please in years.

I have a moonlight job writing. I'm good at it an while my novels haven't published (yet), sooner or later one will. UNfortunately, the moonlight writing, has killed my pleasure at creative writing. I'm a good writer, I write fast and I can turn a plot without problems, but here days my writing is just work like everyone else has.

On a brighter note, I hope to gain a wide enough network with my moonlighting to be able to sell some pieces when we leave fro our RTW. If not - feel we'll get all the round anyway.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 18:21   #705

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarrick View Post

Writing

Don't need to have years of sailing experience to write a good sailing story, look at Bumfuzzle. He was just good, turned a little controversy to their advantage, extra.. good.
But ok, success as a freelancer takes tons of work, people need to know that, if they don't already.

Tags
paracelle