Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 17:11   #481

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
Another thing is you should know some one in the government with power to grant you a permit. I got to stay and work in that same country once my friend knew my situation and fixed it.
So again.

It is not what you know but who you know.
Old 06-09-2012, 21:51   #482
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

Was sitting on this question quite a while and was wondering if one made a tax free investment in your home country and relayed the interest to you credit card monthly if that would not pay for the beer?
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:56   #483

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
Don't you need work visas do that? eg. You're in the Caribbean doing work on someones boat.
Had an experience a few years ago..
Pulled into a slip in a marina, and after tying up the boat, asked the guy on the boat next to me if he knew if the harbor-master was in on that day..
He offered his help and asked what I needed... I stated that I needed to square up with him on the fees for the nights stay.............
To my surprise, he started laughing and said he could tell us Americans any-place he traveled around the world as We were the ones running up and down the docks with handfulls of money wondering who to give it to..
And to a certain extent, he right..
speaking from myself, I have always wanted to be on the up & up and do the right thing, pay for what you get, have the proper papers, and conduct myself in a proper manner.......

And what I've found was that people dont expect it, and government officials dont have time to regulate it.. There will always be the "Fly-BY-Night" or "Shade-Tree" mechanic and for that matter, I've hired them myself..
No Body has ever asked me for a business licences, or even if I was legal,

There are people out cruising and working, but its rare.. as most have a good savings or income comming in and work for that extra amount to add to the kitty..
Our first time out, we didnt live off our work but supplemented our living with added work.. we'll be doing the same come this next spring....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17   #484

I have a job I can do remotely (wifi / cellular / satellite / travel). It's a bit of a pain in the ass as a lot of things on the water have immediate needs (storms, fouled props, etc) which may interfere with land schedules (conference calls, meetings, etc).

Even the best communications gear in the world basically sucks. Watch CNN doing some live stuff from a warzone and you'll see the voice latency, sketchy data with kinks everywhere in the video signal, and technical problems that often end up cancelling large sections of the correspondent's time. And they have *much* better gear that whatever even a rich sailor on a 100' nordhavn is going to have.

It is nice to be able to throw money at problems though, and having an income has let us live a sailing life that although different from what we planned is still pretty damn cool. We're a little more attached to society than we'd like, but if it gets that bad I can always quit and enjoy the more rural locales.

Additionally, we have a toddler and another baby on the way so money and proximity to civilization (and other kids) is a real bonus at this stage in our lives. Maybe when the kids are older (out of diapers, etc) it will be a little different.

I'm a licensed captain and have worked in that job for a couple of years (in addition to my day job which is what I do remotely), and lived aboard with my wife and daughter for years, doing coastal cruising. Even that didn't really prepare me for the financial cost of cruising.

At least for the next year or two, it's going to be pretty nice to maintain an income. Sailing around while still loading up a 401k is pretty awesome.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39   #485

For the artists and craftsmen...
Sell at shows, and festivals along the shores
ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 15:46   #486
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

At least for the next year or two, it's going to be pretty nice to maintain an income. Sailing around while still loading up a 401k is pretty awesome.
Not to mention in about 16 years time when two college tuitions are coming due -

You're doing great BTW...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:25   #487

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Artwork done aboard and retained until a port where it can be mailed to a customer might be a different thing--payment occurring by bank draft in the port of registry might evade foreign taxes and bribes. Write books--shoot videos--write sketches for TV--shoot travel pics--there is a little money to be made using your imagination. Barbara Cartland could have done a lot of cruising had she desired to do so.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 17:31   #488

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)

I blog because it doesn't require any special skills (luckily!) and I can control how much I make i.e. the more I work the more I earn. It takes a while to get the hang of it but everyone can do it.
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 18:17   #489

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

Well as a young family out cruising without Social Security coming in its much harder to live in the lifestyle I would like to become accustomed to.

That's why I started pimping out my wife and have sold one of our children to a sweat shop. Keep living the dream I say...

Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:10   #490

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

That is fine, if your better half looks fine and your kids are sighted and mobile--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 00:56   #491

Boat: DeFever 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
That is fine, if your better half looks fine and your kids are sighted and mobile--
Hey I'll take what I can get, limp, squint, warts and all. As I've got older I've noticed what used to be a ten pinter is now a two pinter. Don't need any more kids though!

... Fizz
Fizzwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 20:20   #492

One word...EBay
Foreign purchases sell very well online. I always look for that rare find & do my best to buy cheap. You have to do your research first. Know what your buying. Never take someone else's word. Shipping...? Shipping should always be the buyers responsibility regaurdless of what country your in.
Darkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 14:08   #493

Would it be feasible or in demand to bring along one's SCUBA gear and scrape hulls? Is that the type of work that would get you in trouble with the locals? Is it safe to assume that noone wants a Paramedic?
tmoandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 15:23   #494
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoandj
Would it be feasible or in demand to bring along one's SCUBA gear and scrape hulls? Is that the type of work that would get you in trouble with the locals? Is it safe to assume that noone wants a Paramedic?
Hull cleaning in Asia is around $30-$40 bucks. They free dive. No costs.

I'd pay more for a guy with Scuba if he did a better job but not much more.

I personally dive my own hull. $20 bucks for s rental tank. I enjoy the therapy and I like getting a look at my hull.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:29   #495

Does anyone know whether there's really any demand out there for scuba instructors?
tmoandj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle