Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-01-2012, 10:32   #361

Boat: S2 9.2C
A little example of something I do if someone should ask
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-79364829.png
Views:	360
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	36698  
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 11:51   #362
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

I think Dave has the answer: A fright wig, some white paint, a rubber nose, and you can entertain chidren's parties all over the world!

Noonsite doesn't list even ONE country where you need a license to be a clown. Just be careful--in many of them you could be elected into public office.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 12:07   #363
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I think Dave has the answer: A fright wig, some white paint, a rubber nose, and you can entertain chidren's parties all over the world!

Noonsite doesn't list even ONE country where you need a license to be a clown. Just be careful--in many of them you could be elected into public office.<G>
The UK for one....
Seem to be leading all our political parties....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 12:08   #364

Quote:

Sorry, but every time i see that avatar i can't help thinking of this bloke.....

IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 19:11   #365

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

"Bottom cleaning" - - "unofficial charters" ?? Seems we are going in circles in this thread as they were discussed several times before.

Neither is viable unless you are willing to engage in either illegal activities or get into competition with locals who might not take kindly to your poaching their business. As posted by others probably in jest, there are plenty activities you can engage in while cruising and make money - until you are caught and punished officially or by locals intent on teaching you a lesson about that kind of stuff.

I do believe the only serious way to make money while actively cruising outside your home country without getting into a morass of bureaucratic b.s. (permits, licenses, etc.) is via some form of "internet-based" activities. Or activities back in your home country that can be operated via the internet.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 19:51   #366

It's what I do
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1404735883.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	36727  
Old 30-01-2012, 20:00   #367

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
"Bottom cleaning" - - "unofficial charters" ?? Seems we are going in circles in this thread as they were discussed several times before.

Neither is viable unless you are willing to engage in either illegal activities or get into competition with locals who might not take kindly to your poaching their business. As posted by others probably in jest, there are plenty activities you can engage in while cruising and make money - until you are caught and punished officially or by locals intent on teaching you a lesson about that kind of stuff.

Ya...too bad those countries are not like this one where we let 12 million "undocumented workers" take our jobs away and we do little if anything about it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 20:56   #368

This brings up a good point.....
Why not just cruise coastal USA working wherever...
You don't have to cruise the world to have fun....
It's all right here man
Old 31-01-2012, 06:42   #369

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
This brings up a good point.....
Why not just cruise coastal USA working wherever...
You don't have to cruise the world to have fun....
It's all right here man
Which is the simple and correct answer for those who do not or can not finance their cruising outside their home country. There is plenty of cruising grounds within the USA and its territories (e.g., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgins, etc.) and opportunities to work legally.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 20:54   #370

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
1: Focus on the non-profit community and be prepared to post all of their events, fund-raising etc.
2: Bring on the city backing (links, signs etc), as they help you to help the non-profit community.
3: Take pictures of these signs and send them to the businesses offering ads at a very cheap rate ($10/month). When they see the city is behind it they come on. After a few years go to $150 per year and offer Banners for $600.
4: Put site cards in every business and watch the hits grow! Put them in the grocery stores in return for free ads so you reach the community.

We have now been growing for 12 years and touched a million hits a year from our community of 160,000 people.

We also enjoy a renewal rate of 90 percent as the businesses are doing very well from these ads. We are able to provide stats for their ads each year and they see results as people see our cards and comment that is how they found their business.

You need to put three years into building and then you can go sailing, operating the site from your boat.
You got my attention on this one. Its a very good ideal. I'm going to try a variation on this, this month in my home town
Q1
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 16:01   #371

Hey, all.

I've been reading through this thread, and I'm delurking because I actually have something to contribute.

There is still a good deal of work available over the internet even for people who are not entrepreneurs or techie types. Many companies hire writers, customer service people, virtual assistants, etc. You not earn what you would earn with a successful business of your own, but, it allows those who are allergic to marketing to still make a decent living online.

Some sites require that you live in the US, and most will require that English be your first language.

You can find a lot of discussion of companies that hire people to work from home on forums like Workplace Like Home or on blogs like Rat Race Rebellion.
cat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:40   #372

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Quote:
Ya...too bad those countries are not like this one where we let 12 million "undocumented workers" take our jobs away and we do little if anything about it.
You ever not get a job cuz an illegal had it? Most of those jobs are below either the payscale or pride of Americans cuz you can't maintain the status quo way of life with these jobs.... This country would grind to a halt if we didn't let them work
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:13   #373
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

cat, the caveat is that many of those companies have signficant other requirements. That you must have high-speed internet, or be available set hours, and often reqire a landline phone as well. Or, have particular skills and experience. That's not insurmountable BUT as every BBB and AG's office will tell you, the number of "work from home" scams has grown right alongside the internet, and 95? 99? % of all the "work from your computer" offerings are indeed bogus scams.

Be careful, and don't pay THEM anything up front.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:05   #374

Quote:
cat, the caveat is that many of those companies have signficant other requirements. That you must have high-speed internet, or be available set hours, and often reqire a landline phone as well. Or, have particular skills and experience. That's not insurmountable BUT as every BBB and AG's office will tell you, the number of "work from home" scams has grown right alongside the internet, and 95? 99? % of all the "work from your computer" offerings are indeed bogus scams.

Be careful, and don't pay THEM anything up front.
The large number of scams is why I recommended the two resources above for checking out opportunities.

Before going out on my own as a freelance copywriter (another hyper-portable skill!) I wrote online for a few different content mills. I know a ton of other people who answer phones for West.com or rate search engine results for Lionbridge. As long as you are curious enough to look and cautious enough to check up on companies, there is work to be found.
cat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:05   #375
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat25

The large number of scams is why I recommended the two resources above for checking out opportunities.

Before going out on my own as a freelance copywriter (another hyper-portable skill!) I wrote online for a few different content mills. I know a ton of other people who answer phones for West.com or rate search engine results for Lionbridge. As long as you are curious enough to look and cautious enough to check up on companies, there is work to be found.
I had a friend that was a copy editor for a Japanese company.

Every week she was sent copy, in "japlish", and by Friday she had to rewrite the copy and send it back. Word documents, <10 hours a week, and she cleared like USD300 a week. She never visited the offices told them she traveled but could always hook up and deliver. They didn't know/care where she was.

Hard to find but worth finding.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle