Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 16:23   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: looking for some feedback on doing professional work "out there"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Without dumping details all over everyone, I work for a financial services company. Nice place, downtown San Diego, fairly corporate, etc. Just got my six year thank-you note in the mail. I put my 100 ton license to good use as well, but the vast majority of my income is from my professional job.

We've been saving up for a few years while living on our boat and doing some local cruising; life has been good. Saved up enough money to take off for a few years.

Here's where it gets interesting for me:

I'm currently a director and vp, and my boss (the cio) has asked me to stay on remotely. What that looks like exactly I'm still trying to make sense out of, but I think it will mean maybe ~5 hours a week of working when underway or basically anywhere. Of that, maybe ~1-2 hours will be spent on a phone.

I have the benefit of basically choosing the projects I want to work on and in what capacity, and provided I do a decent job on them I think it will stay that way.

I'll probably need to fly back to San Diego every few months for a 1-2 week stint to keep active on projects. Basically my remote work (the ~5 hours a week) is allowing me to keep relevant and my finger on the pulse of projects. It's all billable, but the actual money I'd make is really going to happen being in a port with enough broadband to make real remote work possible, or just flying back.

Some logistics I've gone over:

- Local cells seem cheap enough and my bill rate covers them.
- Bill rate covers satellite phone.
- Back in town we have car2go so local transport isn't an issue. I have a locker where I can keep business clothes, friends I can stay with, and a cheap hotel nearby if crashing with a friend gets strained.

Just looking for anyone who's pulled this off or tried to. I really never considered trying to juggle the remote-professional thing while sailing around third world countries but the possibility of not actually touching our savings with ~5 hours a week and some trips back every few months just seems too good to be true.
I'm green with envy!...Please...someone stab me in the eye with an ice pick!...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote