Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 05:30   #1

Boat: Island Packet 29
Long Time No Sea (getting a boat to Asia)

Hi All,

It's been over 10 years since I have done any serious sailing. But now it's time to get involved with sailing again. I'm looking to buy a stalwart little yacht and either sail it or have it shipped to Thailand (from the NE of USA) where I hope to spend (at least) several years cruising in and around S.E. Asia.

I'm open to any/and all advice from the well seasoned and well intentioned veterans in the community as I have a lot to learn in short period of time.

While I do have some off-shore sailing experience, I still consider myself a greenie when it come to real cruising. I've set up a website to organize my thoughts and make my plans for this new adventure. Please feel free to critique any of my ideas or thoughts posted on the site. I'm looking forward to gaining insight from the collective wisdom in this community. And I'm looking forward to making some new friends with like-minded individuals in the process.

See: One man's dream to explore S.E. Asia from the (dis)comfort of his own yacht

My first question for the community is: has anyone out there had any experience in having a small or mid-sized sailing yacht shipped on a freighter across any ocean? I've spoken to several shippers but it seems nearly impossible to get a complete price quote from any of the yacht shipping companies. I'm finding this to be a very frustrating process, so much so, that I'm now considering sailing the boat to Asia on her own bottom, even though that is not really what I want to do. It seems they (the shipping companies) are more interested in shipping Super Yachts were perhaps the owners aren't trying to be so frugal??? When I tell them my boat is worth less than $100,000 USD, some of them don't even respond to my e-mails any more. WTH?
Amani Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 21:51   #2

Boat: Hunter 340 34'
Re: Long Time No Sea (getting a boat to Asia)

I have not sailed my own craft across, and suspect it would require serious research and planning. However.....

Why? Why would you not sail that boat across? If not across, then up via the Aleutians. Or over to Ha-va-ii? Via the Marshalls? Anything but shipping it across.

As a Harley rider, I did trailer my bike to Daytona once. I get it. But, as a boat owner, I'd feel shame in not taking on the challenge. If time is the issue, than sure. Otherwise, I think you're missing an opportunity to really challenge yourself, and disrespecting the blue-water boat that probably wants to do it.

Ba-caw says hello.

Just throwing some shade, but I think managing the crossing would be a fine footnote to the adventure you have already subscribed.

Go for it, man.
Old 23-01-2017, 22:03   #3

Boat: valiant 40

I suspect you would save 30% on the price by buying over here (S.E Asia) there are hundreds for sale and save the shipping cost.Most have already sailed from a far flung port so well proven. You would be well advised to fly out and check out the local market.
Cheers
Old 23-01-2017, 22:09   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Yachtworld lists 186 used sailboats for sale in Thailand. Go for it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 01:28   #5

Boat: valiant 40

Dont forget langkawi, it's duty free and plenty of boats for sale.
Old 24-01-2017, 06:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Amani.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:44   #7
cruiser

Hi,

Have you considered hiring a delivery skipper? The costs would be much, much less than to have the boat shipped. For Example, the quote from Sevenstar to ship a Beneteau 49 from California to SE Asia is $49,500, and my price to deliver the same boat is $22,000.

I personally have experience moving vessels of all sizes, from Contessa 26 and Matrix 27 minicruisers to a 65 foot maxi cat and a 105 foot expedition motor yacht, with the vessel owners enjoying a 100% success rate.

I've been trusted by numerous experienced solo circumnavigators and I've made ten trans-pacific passages to date, including two solo, and have experience in the both the West and East coasts of the US and Canada, Alaska, the Bering Sea, Japan, Hawaii, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand, the Caribbean, Greenland, the Southern Ocean, and Southeast Asia.

If you only require a little help but don’t have the budget to hire a full captain, I offer crewing services or passage assistance for $100/day.

Please feel free to contact me any time at captainryanlangley@gmail.com or call me at 1 360 460 2949. You can check out my profile as Captain Ryan on yachtdeliveries.website. I am often at sea and out of cell service but if you leave a message or send a text I will get back to you asap.

Fair winds,

Capt. Ryan Langley
OceanVentures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 23:17   #8

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
Long Time No Sea (getting a boat to Asia)

I live in Hong Kong and a lot of people buy boats here as there are no taxes on pleasure craft the same as the BVI.

I make a nice income in the summer sailing vessels from Hong Kong to their new owners in Thailand, Philippines, and Malaysia.

There are a lot of great boats available around the area that you and I are in, that will save you taxes and shipping. Especially cargo ship freight !!!

If you get a boat in Hong Kong, a short flight and you can get your sea legs back by sailing your new boat to Thailand. It is a great voyage that I recommend you to enjoy !

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia, boat