Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2018, 11:45   #1

Boat: Chartering so far
Live and charter own sailing boat in the Phils

Hello everyone!
I haven't found information about the regulation for chartering a boat with foreign flag in the Philippines.
The idea is to live and work as skipper onboard with crew both local filipino and foreign.
I wonder if anyone can give some guidance regarding the regulations. Perhaps will have to be a period in-period out of the Phils in order to just pass by the Philippines and not establishing a business there with the restriction that seems to be registering the boat at a filipino national.
Very lost...
Thanks in advanced!
Jaime
Jaimesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 13:28   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Live and charter own sailing boat in the Phils

Know how to make a small fortune as a foreigner in the Philippines?

Start with a large one. 8-)

The written laws and regulations are one thing.

Reality in practice is another.

There will be powerful men in uniform become your partner and protector, functional equivalent to mafia.

Then less need to follow the official laws.

Can be made to work, but unpredictable, very easy to lose everything as circumstances change.

I'd advise making money in a country where Rule of Law is respected.

Then go have fun in the Philippines.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 00:10   #3

I am sure you are right but it could be possible with a local partner.
Another option is not to establish the business in the Philippines but outside and travel to Philippines to sail.
I could also think of other countries in the region to establish such activity but I like the Philippines
Old 27-06-2018, 03:32   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Jaimesan
I have lived here in the Philippines for 18 years and I just love it"s disfunctional, confused state of regulations, which changes with every new administration, but is rarely enforced if you remain low key and quietly connected to some local with authority.

There is no established yacht charter business in the Philippines.
Most tourists are afraid of Abu Sayyaf, beheadings and Typhoons.

So if you attempt to establish a legal charter status, you will be pioneering a new income opportunity and at the mercy of Marina Department, BIR, Coast Guard, SEC (for corporate Structure), DOLE (Department of Labor & Employment) plus many other little fiefdoms that will happily create problems, so that you can reward them when they do a fudgy fix to solve it.

That is the reason why the Philippines is ranked 113 out of 190 countries in "ease of doing business" ratings.

Having said that, a few private yachts charter via yacht brokers, resorts or yacht clubs.

All low key and not enough volume to raise any flags.
....unless you start it ![emoji6]

Suggest you arrive, get the lay of the land and be low key to begin with.

BTW, often when I anchor off a dive resort, guests ask me if I charter....(which I don't)
Click image for larger version

Name:	8 Sangat DSC_0053.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	172549
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 09:36   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I have never been to the Philippines but have been in the business other places in the world.
If, considering the government, you are intent of doing this you will need the right local partner to begin with.
I would suggest you ally with a luxury resort that provides safe moorage and that you run day charters in safe waters.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 12:47   #6

Boat: Tartan 3000

I'll rent your boat for a week or two. I'm in Phils every year March April and May.

Would not recommend running a business there tho or ever having a Filipino business partner.

Oh yea, can I BORROW 50,000 pesos?
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 12:59   #7

Boat: Nimble 24 Tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimesan View Post
Hello everyone!
I haven't found information about the regulation for chartering a boat with foreign flag in the Philippines.
The idea is to live and work as skipper onboard with crew both local filipino and foreign.
I wonder if anyone can give some guidance regarding the regulations. Perhaps will have to be a period in-period out of the Phils in order to just pass by the Philippines and not establishing a business there with the restriction that seems to be registering the boat at a filipino national.
Very lost...
Thanks in advanced!
Jaime
If the Philippines are like Thailand I would under no circumstances put anything under a locals name!
Too many expat contractors have lost everything they own to their "true love" this way!
merlinuxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 15:33   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Things are going to get "interesting" in the Philippines over the next 2 years.
Duterte is taking more and more hardline steps in the name of law and order.

Arresting teenagers who congregate at malls etc

Removing all the street people and kids living in Manila.

While the intent is good, like the killing of so many involved in drugs, the methods are horrendous and full of potential abuse by a more powerful and emboldened police state.

The Peso has gone from 43 to now 53 to the USD in the last year and inflation is creeping up to 4.6%.

New Tax Laws have removed all the incentives to Foreign investors and you can see a promising economy under the last 2 Administration's, crumble.

Foreigners are advised to keep their heads down as this volatile administration leads with a big stick!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 19:32   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Things are going to get "interesting" in the Philippines over the next 2 years.
Duterte is taking more and more hardline steps in the name of law and order.

Arresting teenagers who congregate at malls etc

Removing all the street people and kids living in Manila.

While the intent is good, like the killing of so many involved in drugs, the methods are horrendous and full of potential abuse by a more powerful and emboldened police state.

The Peso has gone from 43 to now 53 to the USD in the last year and inflation is creeping up to 4.6%.

New Tax Laws have removed all the incentives to Foreign investors and you can see a promising economy under the last 2 Administration's, crumble.

Foreigners are advised to keep their heads down as this volatile administration leads with a big stick!
Rodrigo is well liked by the people that i know over there.. real hardass but guessin that's where it was gonna end up sooner or later. heard a police chief was beheaded and he instructed his police to waste anyone if they even look like isis.. would be the majority love the guy
Old 22-07-2018, 09:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
I have never been to the Philippines but have been in the business other places in the world.
If, considering the government, you are intent of doing this you will need the right local partner to begin with.
I would suggest you ally with a luxury resort that provides safe moorage and that you run day charters in safe waters.
Hello!
That sounds feasible.
I am also thinking if opening the charter officially in another neighboring country like Indonesia and operate from there.
The problem is having paying passengers embarking in the Phils. If they are passing by we are ok but they have to come in and out by the boat customs registration which is not going to happen.
The resort is not a bad idea. I can ask yo some and see but I would not want to be connected to one spot and would be more fun to be free to move.
Old 22-07-2018, 09:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
I'll rent your boat for a week or two. I'm in Phils every year March April and May.

Would not recommend running a business there tho or ever having a Filipino business partner.

Oh yea, can I BORROW 50,000 pesos?
The idea is to charter with skipper and one or two crew people.
Old 14-08-2018, 04:15   #12

Boat: S&S 40

The boat can stay you are the one who needs a visa if you want to stay longer, on a tourist visa you are not allowed to work in the Philippines, as a foreigner you will be the center of attention not because you are presumably a nice person but because you have money and Filipinos are very good of 'extracting' it from your wallet.
To leave a yacht unattended, or in the 'care' of a local is not advised.
There are a lot of typhoons this should be taken into consideration as well.

I am not raining on your parade, but to do business, as a foreigner, in a 3rd world country is difficult, better go there on a long vacation and check it out for yourself.

Good luck
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 04:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimesan View Post
The idea is to charter with skipper and one or two crew people.
Can't see enough customers to do that as a business. As transport you can sail people from Bantayan to Malapasqua. Maybe something in Boracay if you can cut a deal with a resort. But for certain your boat will be confiscated in short order for breaking some rule. Will be a tough business.

I'll rent your boat for a few weeks when you get low on funds. Everyone needs a backup plan. Best of luck with it for sure.
Old 14-08-2018, 08:11   #14

Thank you Larry and Icarus,
Yes, it seems that if a proper plan has to be done, it is necessary to open a proper business as a foreigner.
In Indonesia there is a system for that and I guess most countries will have a system.
The question if it is worth the effort and headaches for the benefit, but if it is going to be the only income, it should be worth.
I'll keep investigating.
Old 14-08-2018, 08:23   #15

Have you given any thought to how much you would charge? This will be a big indicator as most things are very cheap in The Philippines. Many rooms are available for $10 to $20 a day or $100-200/ monthly

Tags
boat, charter, sail, sailing