Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 13:01   #1

Keeping a boat in the States but living overseas.

Hi all

I suspect this has been done to death, but I'll ask anyway. If there's another thread on this, feel free to point me there.

So...

I live in Australia. It's very unlikely I will ever have the time (or the skill) to sail to the USA, but I travel there a lot.

Are there any legal issues with buying a US registered yacht in the US as an Australian Citizen, and mooring it there on a long term basis?

Anything extraordinary I am required to do?

Cheers.
Tommydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 13:58   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Keeping a boat in the States but living overseas.

The only possible hitch is whether the State where the boat would be registered (as in, not a US Documented boat) might have some rule about it. For instance, as Americans, we cannot own an Australian Registered yacht, which is different from just registering in one of the States.

As long as you pay all the fees, marina, etc., for the boat, registration rules will vary by the State wherein you would keep it.

Ann
Old 05-07-2015, 14:05   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

No, its quite easy. Especially if US duty is already paid. You can effectivly leave it in the USA as long as you wish.
Btw US duty is only 1.8% so its not much to shell out even if you bought a non-US boat in.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 16:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

To expand a bit on what Ann mentioned.

In the US there are two ways to register a boat.

The first and most common for larger boats is registering with the US government, managed by the US Coast Guard and properly called documentation. Non US citizens cannot document a boat in the US and in fact, you must remove a boat from documentation to purchase it and take title.

The second option is to register the boat with a state. This process is quick, easy and cheap. The main complication is each state makes its own rules and the process can very from state to state. The main thing for your idea, none of the states that I know of have any restrictions against registration by a non citizen. Most states you will have to pay +/- 6% sales tax on the purchase price but that is a one time charge. The registration fee is annual and can be US$100 or so to several hundred depending on the state. Also a few states charge an annual ad valorem tax on the value of the boat which can add up.

Another caution. I've tried to be an absentee boat owner before and it was a huge pain. I was a lot closer to the boat than you will be from Australia and tried to get down regularly but frequently left the boat sitting for months at a time. A boat sitting, locked up, unventilated, engine idle is going to break down a lot more than one that is used regularly. Corrosion builds up on all the electrical parts, the engine gets cranky, the interior tends to get stale and mildewed.

If you're here a lot, it may work. But if you're only here 2-3 times a year you may end up spending most of your time on the boat fixing stuff.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:38   #5

Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)

Hello,
I am looking into buying a 50 ft. catamaran and keeping it in the gulf of Mexico area. You might find relief in being part owner of this and always have a working well kept Coast Guard registered S/V at your disposal when you are in the US...
Rocky
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:22   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I agree with Ann and Skipmak that you want the boat registered in your own country...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:25   #7

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

I was going to say same thing... why not enter into partial ownership... or even multiple fractional ownerships/ usage agreements with several boats in diverse sailing areas (FL, Chesapeake Bay, Great Lakes, San Diego)? Wonder if there is a B2B of sailboats app? Insurance for the owner I guess becomes an issue as my policy prohibits chartering/ for hire usage w/o different/ more pricy policy. Most of us, no matter how avid we are, if not racing in a weekly YC, end up lightly using our boats because life just keeps getting in the way. I have an older 46' cruising ketch with all the modern Nav/ cruising gear on the Chesapeake and, if interested, would be willing to see if there is a way to workout something. Sure others might too.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:50   #8

I don't think you will have any problem. Just avoid states like California where they are very aggressive about yearly taxes.
Another option for you to look at is British Columbia. The non offshore cruising is amazing there. Of course you may be limited to 6 months a year of good cruising weather. So that's a tradeoff.
Absentee ownership is a real PITA for sure. Boats accumulate a "to-do" list fast even if you are nearby.
My guess is chartering a boat when you want is going to be a whole lot less expensive.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:04   #9

Thanks everyone for the information provided so far. It's all very useful. Strangely, I've set up ,y preferences to receive notification of all replies, but have only received two emails so far (for one post each).

Again, thanks.

Darren
Tommydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 13:31   #10

Simple. I have been doing this for 22 years. Two different boats.
No hassles if Registered in the State of Florida. Not to be confused with US Documentation. Buy it there and pay 6% sales tax. Small licensing fee every year. +- 150$.
If foreign you may have time constraints.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote