Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2008, 04:49   #1

Boat: catalac 8M catamaran 27ft
Post Investment Plans for Circumnavigators ?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and live with the idea of setting off to sail the world...

OK, I know I should be asking this question to my financial advisor but her I go anyway...

Once I'm off to sail the world all expenses will have to be paid from my investments...
I do not really care where my money will be invested, as long as it's safe and making me enough to live on I'm happy...

Anyone care to share hints on safe investments with fixed % returns ? (as I am a calculated guy once I'm off I don't want to run into unpleasant suprises, I guess I would prefer instead to set back my departure for a while and raise my budget just to be on the safe side)...

I am not looking for magic numbers that make anyone dream, just realistic figures, anything that would do better than the 4% we can get on a savings account where I live will do ...

Djeeke
djeeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 10:59   #2

Boat: Hunter, hydro,28ft -FranBri
Send a message via Skype™ to frankdeegan
Hi Djeek,
how about a 10% return on your investment, but you have to leave it in for 20 months. Were going to lob in about 30K to test it out.
Frank
Old 20-07-2008, 11:22   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
OK, I know I should be asking this question to my financial advisor but her I go anyway...
I would call them on Monday. You really need someone you can trust to be able to run off and let your money manage itself. Sometimes what you already know matters more.

Cruisers Forum is a pretty good place to get boat advice but we don't have a track record with making money. I've been here a long time and I sure wouldn't put any of my money into it. You'll notice this thread topic generates Google Ads at the top of the screen based on the topic title. It's as good as you should expect here for financial advice.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 14:52   #4

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Re: Investment plans for circumnavigators ?

Hope back then someone told you gold and silver (and you listened!!)

Cheers,
Extemp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djeeke View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and live with the idea of setting off to sail the world...

Once I'm off to sail the world all expenses will have to be paid from my investments...
I do not really care where my money will be invested, as long as it's safe and making me enough to live on I'm happy...

Anyone care to share hints on safe investments with fixed % returns ? (as I am a calculated guy once I'm off I don't want to run into unpleasant suprises, I guess I would prefer instead to set back my departure for a while and raise my budget just to be on the safe side)...

I am not looking for magic numbers that make anyone dream, just realistic figures, anything that would do better than the 4% we can get on a savings account where I live will do ...

Djeeke
Old 27-08-2011, 15:18   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

VTB24 is currently paying 5.25% on its "comfort" accounts, a version of a 2year CD.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 17:15   #6

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
VTB24 is currently paying 5.25% on its "comfort" accounts, a version of a 2year CD.
Russian Bank...... I'd have to get used to that Idea.
You know..... perhaps they could be trusted....

That would be weird!!

Extemp.
Old 28-08-2011, 00:49   #7

Re: Investment Plans for Circumnavigators ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdeegan View Post
Hi Djeek,
how about a 10% return on your investment, but you have to leave it in for 20 months. Were going to lob in about 30K to test it out.
Frank
Just put it in AAPL, you'll do better and can take it out anytime.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 08:24   #8

The single most important thing to remember is that internet investment advice, just like internet legal advice, is worth exactly what you pay for it...

NOTHING!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 06:16   #9

Look into 'Transactional Funding" for real estate transactions. Use broker's funds against your portfolio or cash. Very high yields with zip risk as you never fund unless the end buyer is at the closing table with good funds to close. Also contact a mortgage broker for funding. Requires a little study, but much less than playing the market. Good luck.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 08:45   #10

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

A good bank, we use UBS, should be able to set you up.
Where you go with your boat can make a world of difference on how much you spend. If you get a little tight, head for the Philippines or Guatemala. You may never leave.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 15:33   #11

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Two rental apartments that net $3400 a month, comfortable for my simple life style.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 06:59   #12

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeeke View Post

Djeeke
No such thing as a safe investment, just levels of unsafe. People are buying 10 year bonds yielding < 2% in North America these days as a "safe" investment. Let's look at this. Let's assume I am in the top tax bracket (Canadian) so I get to keep 1.2% after tax. Then inflation is running say 2.2%. So after paying the taxman and the inflation man, I LOSE 1% a year for 10 years!

Personally I hold a diversified portfolio of stocks with an average yield of 3.4%. Sure, a coming financial hiccup could suddenly turn this into a 6.8% yield (ie value of portfolio falls by 1/2), but how many dividends am I likely to lose out on? 10%, 20%? Is my outcome likely to be worse than holding 10 year bonds? Are GE, JNJ, Bank of Monteal etc. going to be gone one day? I doubt it, so I am holding tight, and ready to buy more if all goes to hell in a handbasket. If my outcome is worse, we all will likely have more pressing worries, ie grab your guns and cans of beans.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 07:16   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
No such thing as a safe investment, just levels of unsafe. . . .
Very adroitly put.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 16:18   #14

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

Just buy shares in stocks like Altria, Verizon, Duke energy, etc and don't think about them. You'll earn around 6% and their dividend history is very strong, ie. safe. I don't care what happens in Greece or Italy, people aren't going to stop using their cell phones or stop smoking. JMHO, but it's been working great for me.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote