Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2012, 00:04   #211

Re: I'm Walking Away from my Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Survey a brand new sailboat? Is that commonly done? I have purchased several new cars in my day, never had a mechanic look one over first.
Sorry, not a New boat, a "new" boat for me!
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 00:46   #212

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Often done with custom (non production) vessels.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 05:16   #213

Boat: Skookum 53'

I would, no matter new or custom built, if there are any issues, I would want them noted and addressed prior to accepting delivery, this is a large investment, and my experience with new vessels is, they have more problems than a 2 year old boat, there are always a few kinks with new systems, better to have them taken care of before taking delivery, then the pressure is on the manufacturer to get the boat in order so they can get paid.
Old 15-12-2012, 07:00   #214

More than sailing, this whole adventure has taught me about myself. I actually feel like I could do just about anything with my life at this point, because of the amount of soul crushing ******** and hard work I've had to go through.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 13:20   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
More than sailing, this whole adventure has taught me about myself. I actually feel like I could do just about anything with my life at this point, because of the amount of soul crushing ******** and hard work I've had to go through.
Good for you. A life not examined is a life not worth living: I think someone once told me that. Self reflection is helpful for one to know thyself.

Congrats.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 17:48   #216

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Boat projects are always more difficult than they first appeared, it's always more expensive than planned, nothing is as simple as it first appears, blah, blah, blah.
Simplify, make a list, edit the list, attack projects one at a time, if your project at hand feel free to move to the next until you have the materials to finish the first one. Eventually you'll see the list start to whittle down, it reduces the intimidation factor.
Talk to sailors in your yard, ask them about their experience with contractors, it will save you much time and money. Several contractors/ suppliers in my area look great on paper but fail the test of competency and fail to make good on their mistakes, I wouldn't give them one cent of my money, others are reliable and honest, everyone who has been around awhile knows who they are.
Every year I look at the amount of work it takes to keep my boat in top condition and bitch and moan while doing it but the first time I set the sails and the boat takes a set I feel the the flow under the hull it makes all the hard work and sweat disappear.
Most people who have never taken on long term projects have no clue how much discipline and organization it takes to finish them, many try, few finish. Finishing is one of them most important qualities to develop, it gives you a sense of accomplishment few other things will. It's the ride, not the destination. Quit whining, grow up, get some discipline and spine and get back to it, the end result is well worth it.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 22:35   #217

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Absolutely bang on target lifeofreilly57 ! The list is the linchpin, I found without a list you could find yourself undoing finished work to do a job that should have been done in the first place. I'd just fitted a really nice (expensive) polished stainless water tank and didn't insulate the hull before I fitted it in place. Later, going down the list to insulate other parts of the hull and all the water pipes I realized I was so focused on the finished job I missed the obvious. I was lucky, I was able to buy expanding polyurethane foam in a tins to do the job right, but it taught me a lesson. Check the list first !
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 03:44   #218

I know of a sailor buddy who had the most positive attitude toward boat projects: he was a big believer and user of duct tape and paint.

He is still sailing and alive and well.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 20:38   #219

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht
Sorry that you're so frustrated, Virginia Boy. There are many, many times in all of our lives that frustration seems the most logical choice, but in hindsight, it was our own silliness or inexperience or unrealistic thoughts that caused the situation to begin with. So........ When you can honestly accept that, either selling the project or continuing the project will be the only logical choice, and will not cause you so much frustration. Accept YOUR part of this, and all will be just fine. One thought, though, if you leave yourself with no vessel, you will NEVER find that triumph that started this whole thing !!
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 20:57   #220

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Sometimes I need to have that tattooed on the inside of my eyelids.
Believe it or not, that is possible. Check the Guiness book, way back I read the smallest freehand printing, which is bigger than machine- printing, was hard to believe. The Lord's Prayer printed 23 times on a piece of paper HALF the size of a postage stamp, WOW!,
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 18:05   #221

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!

Hello Again,

I walked away from my classic wooden yacht due to rampant dry rot. It broke my heart, but at the time I thought I was doing the most sensible and rational thing.

HOWEVER, now after a good rest I regret that decision. I should have put her under wraps somewhere, so if in the future I changed my mind I could undertake all the repairs and continue enjoying a fine boat.

So sorry ol' gal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

__________________________________________________ ______________

"Don't count what you have; because it what you don't have that makes the difference!"
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 18:11   #222

Boat: Seafarer36c

So you had a place to store it for free?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 18:26   #223

Hi Guy,

Yes, the worst of this bad decision is that I did!!

Maybe other people could offer a half-share if they finish a project that has become more than they can handle technically or emotionally.

__________________________________________________ _______

Don't count what you have, because it is what you don't have that makes the difference.
Old 11-06-2013, 18:47   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatketch33 View Post
I know of a sailor buddy who had the most positive attitude toward boat projects: he was a big believer and user of duct tape and paint.

He is still sailing and alive and well.
Yes, very good advice! I fixed a leaky cabin roof on a wooden yacht in ten minutes with a sheet of nice blue plastic and a box of thumbtacks. It even looked pretty good (from a distance...).

__________________________________________________ _____

Don't count what you have; because it is what you don't have that makes the difference.
Old 23-02-2014, 20:41   #225

Boat: Westsail 32

If you buy a boat that seems finished and ready to go, you'll find that you want to fix a great many things on it. They're all like that.

You're lost in the objectives department. You're working with an objective of fixing your boat, and you're doing very well. Set an objective of going sailing, never mind the fixing up, and _go _after _it _like _with _blinders _on.

'You leave when the boat is seaworthy. It's never ready'--Claire Allcard

Joe Kovacs
SV Sea Breeze
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote