Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 08:58   #226

Re: I'm Walking Away from my Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
If you buy a boat that seems finished and ready to go, you'll find that you want to fix a great many things on it. They're all like that.

You're lost in the objectives department. You're working with an objective of fixing your boat, and you're doing very well. Set an objective of going sailing, never mind the fixing up, and _go _after _it _like _with _blinders _on.

'You leave when the boat is seaworthy. It's never ready'--Claire Allcard

Joe Kovacs
SV Sea Breeze
Yep, I've been in the "blinders on, forge ahead, make everything perfect" mode before. Make the boat seaworthy and sail some!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 09:21   #227

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yep, I've been in the "blinders on, forge ahead, make everything perfect" mode before. Make the boat seaworthy and sail some!
While I have a lot of agreement with the sentiments expressed here, it needs to be tempered by some degree of reality. If you are planning weekends or short distance cruising, I have no argument, but if you are setting up the boat for prolonged blue water, then a prudent mariner will look carefully at items which probably will need replacing during that voyage. Then it is a wise man who recognises that it will be a LOT cheaper to fix it before setting out.
Old 24-02-2014, 11:27   #228

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Vagner View Post
Hello Again,

I walked away from my classic wooden yacht due to rampant dry rot. It broke my heart, but at the time I thought I was doing the most sensible and rational thing.

HOWEVER, now after a good rest I regret that decision. I should have put her under wraps somewhere, so if in the future I changed my mind I could undertake all the repairs and continue enjoying a fine boat.

So sorry ol' gal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

__________________________________________________ ______________

"Don't count what you have; because it what you don't have that makes the difference!"
Having owned and loved a woody I'd say that you made the right decision unless you were able to make the repairs very soon. Leaving a woody on the hard under wraps is the worst thing you can do to her.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 24-02-2014, 11:31   #229

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
Glad I'm not alone in my direct approach to life.
I'd change 21 to 18.
Old 26-02-2014, 19:05   #230

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

After 18 months alternately working on two yachts I can relate. What saved me was the opportunity to cruise with a friend to New Zealand in December. The enthusiasm is back!

I'm not sure that I'd be in any different frame of mind if I had a family to take care of at the same time though. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 20:27   #231

Boat: Ohlson 38

Wow! What a nice bunch of people on CF. I'm seriously touched by the support and encouragement offered by you guys.

I started this thread a while ago and my attitude towards the boat is much improved thanks.

I am using most of the boat repair money I've saved this past year to send my son to Sweden (YFU-USA) where he will attend his junior year in high school (gymnasium) and I will put the boat in the water this spring..imperfect as she is. I intend to focus less on achieving goals and more on enjoying the process and if all goes well I'll be sailing this spring and maybe make it south next winter. I'm actually eager for winter to end so I can get started again.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 13:00   #232

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Hey, thats good news Virginia Boy! At least you'll know your boat a lot better before you start travelling.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 13:23   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
Absolutely bang on target lifeofreilly57 ! The list is the linchpin, I found without a list you could find yourself undoing finished work to do a job that should have been done in the first place. I'd just fitted a really nice (expensive) polished stainless water tank and didn't insulate the hull before I fitted it in place. Later, going down the list to insulate other parts of the hull and all the water pipes I realized I was so focused on the finished job I missed the obvious. I was lucky, I was able to buy expanding polyurethane foam in a tins to do the job right, but it taught me a lesson. Check the list first !
"foaming in" a tank will lead to its corrosion.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 03:45   #234

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I did the same with Vigah, but as it is in our shop's yard, it wouldn't let me. Long story and yes, a lot of work. I hope in the end it will be worth it. Left alone it wasn't worth the tax assessor's evaluation. Fixed up I should, if I decide to dump should return fivefold my refit costs!
Old 28-02-2014, 12:04   #235
CGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
My boat was a source of dreams and a promise of adventure and it still is but at the present time it's a liability. I can't survive on dreams alone.
Dreams can turn fast into nightmares especially when you don't have the experience needed to make those dreams a reality.
CGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 15:52   #236

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I would have to respectfully disagree partly - dreams can become reality if you are willing to learn and gain experience either through the assistance of others or old fashioned "on the job training." It is the willingness to keep working and press on past your mistakes to find success. That builds more than just a boat.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 10:52   #237

Boat: Tartan 40

Reviving this thread in this hot used boat market (less inventory and folks may be taking more of a risk)
OP- your profile shows a different boat than the Westsail- what can people learn from your experiences?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote