Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 04:35   #16

Re: Im trying to make a decision about living aboard and still working. Can anyone co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I sold our first live aboard cruising boat in 1973 to a person who neglected and ruined what I had cherished. It might sound silly and sentimental, but I don't think I'll put the boat that we've lived on for the past 32 years on the open market. I'll more likely be vetting the potential new owner that needs a spacious, mediocre performing shoal draft coastal cruiser, maybe a young family that could erase the marks we put on our mast showing the growth of our two children and replace them with their own. I can let my ketch go, but I'd like to foster a heritage. I'm looking forward to sharing the strong and weak points, all the details and challenges. I can't just take what I've been committed to for more than half my life and pass it to a broker.
......... I know,- silly and sentimental.
I completely agree with what you're saying I've had several things in my life that I have worked to the Bone to turn into something and I made a fundamental mistake of selling them to the first buyer and 85% of the time that object goes to waste. I built a 1979 Chevy Camaro, from scratch it took me three years of working on it just about 7 days a week I turned it into a beautiful show car and I paid attention to every inch of the vehicle from the top to the bottom, I then sold it to a guy and a couple months later I saw the car on the drag strip he totally ruined it by cutting holes in it and putting big engines in it my heart was totally in the ground same thing happened to my 1986 Porsche 911, I bought it from the original owner and I absolutely loved that car and I sold it to a young guy who put it on its roof a couple of months later so I can relate to what you're saying sort of. I don't think I've ever owned the same thing for 25 or 30 years so I'm sure you feel stronger about getting rid of your stuff to people you don't know. Thank you for your responses to me I will definitely be talking to you about certain things on my boat since we have the same boat.
bustylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:12   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Im trying to make a decision about living aboard and still working. Can anyone co

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustylady View Post
............................... I will definitely be talking to you about certain things on my boat since we have the same boat.
What year is your Morgan,- ketch/sloop. walk-through/walk-over, Morgan built/Catalina-Morgan "Classic"? How about a photo?
Old 02-12-2016, 06:48   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

want boat pix.
as you turn wrenches, you have the opportunity to trade needs-- ha ha i work on your engine you fix my (davits, solar, wind gen, wtf) and a 41 is the right size, as you need room.
you need room to sprawl, as work and relaxation take different areas of the boat. morgan 41 is a decently sized palace for working and relaxing. making part a work room will save lots of issues and time for you, and will keep work away from living and playing.
wanna see pix!!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:39   #19

Boat: 38" Sailboat

There is no reason not to live aboard and not keep working, you don't have to be cruising to do it. Find a good marina that allows live aboards and move on. Start working on your boat and getting some savings. In the meantime living on your boat you will get a better idea of what it's really like, what you need to fix, and can more easily go sailing on a whim.

When your ready you can start your cruising.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:37   #20

Wonderful, wonderful story! Thank you for sharing. You've made my day!
Ms J-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:45   #21

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I have lots of stuff I have collected for my refit of my 45 ft steel ketch, I'm in Labelle, about 100 miles south east of you. Be glad to talk and compare notes.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:52   #22

How about some free advice? I want to clean and repaint my Volvo MD17 in the boat of course... There are a few rusty areas... of course some grease...

1. How do I clean? What tools? what products? Steamer?
2. Should I remove the V belts?
3. Do I have to prime bare metal or just spray finished paint? How many coats?
4. Can I do the painting in the winter... temps will be dropping.

If you don't want to answer... no biggier.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:01   #23

Boat: Island Packet 32

There is a kid who is much like you living aboard in Boot Key Harbor at Marathon. There are over 100 mooring balls there with sailers coming and going from all over the world. They do a morning radio schedule where people tell their tale and ask for and give help. I haven't been there for two years but last time he was living on a 22 ft boat which was tied up to a 40 footer someone had given him and he was revitalizing as he went along. He had a good skiff, constantly monitored the radio and was making a good living. I hired him to go up the mast and do some stuff that I'm too old to do anymore. Can't remember his name, but a great kid!
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:25   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustylady View Post
...I have decided to be debt-free in my life because my ultimate goal is to be sailing and living on my sailboat debt free so whatever money I make I can keep myself cruising since I am a mechanic it will be a little less expensive for me to keep things fixed and maintained until it comes to haulling the boat out the water etc. Anyway I was wanting to see if there's anybody out there who started out cruising at a young age and ran into problems with Finance? And work and resources Etc. Since I am a marine mechanic I can most likely work on boats as I cruise but I was wondering if that is actually easier said than done..

The liveaboard part sound easiest; get on with that.

But the a) earn a bunch of money, and b) while cruising part... seems more difficult. Maybe that's a pick one or the other...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
My experience is you'll struggle to make much money while actually cruising. You can certainly spend 6 or months somewhere and get some work after getting established.

For example on the Georgetowm morning net, there are tons of retired engineers and mechanics that will work all day on another boat to get away from their wife and maybe get a bottle of rum or two for payment.

Hard to compete with that pay. And you'll find most folks leery of having a major repair done by someone in the anchorage unless again, you're long established.

Yep, that's what I'd guess. Emergency while I'm cruising, I might turn to somebody nearby who talks a good game.

But more likely I'd turn to well-established professionals in the area if possible... if I can't fix it myself. Even then, sometimes it's more of a parts issue, anyway, another reason to not necessarily call somebody over from the next boat in the anchorage.

Not at all meaning to sound discouraging, busty (?), just suggesting that the world might not beat a deep path to someone who's here today and gone tomorrow, doesn't stock parts, may not be intimate with our own brand of (engines, whatever).

I'd guess more lucrative options might be living aboard, establishing a work identity and reputation in a home area, cruise from time to time. Or you might enjoy more the idea of living aboard, cruising all the time, and being content with whatever income you can scrounge in cash or in kind. Only you can decide.

-Chris
Old 02-12-2016, 10:59   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Im trying to make a decision about living aboard and still working. Can anyone co

Well.. if you can make it to St Martin and anchor up in the Lagoon in season.. semi-skilled workers command $50/hr and certain skilled $100/hr..
Get some cards printed and I'm sure you'd find a happy $$ medium.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:07   #26

Boat: Pearson

If your heart is in it, no worries. nice liveaboard. Its a boat they all need work. Your ahead of it being mechanical. As a younger person i left ft. meyers with $62. , a motor that gave me fits, on a 30' texas tri, sailed to the keys, sold fish, shark jaws, sponges, and w orked on a geodesic dome in the keys, saved money and headed for tha virgin islands. lived on fish, shellfish, potatoes,cabbage,and cheap rum, no worries.got a new engine. go for it , no telling when your lifetime guarantee card will expire.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:19   #27

Being a mechanic you should have no problem with restoring the OI41. Just keep at it. A 30 footer has one head and one engine, 2+ sails, and tanks and rigging. A 40 footer has one head+ and one engine, 2+ sails and tanks and rigging . No big deal. Good luck!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:28   #28

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I sold our first live aboard cruising boat in 1973 to a person who neglected and ruined what I had cherished. It might sound silly and sentimental, but I don't think I'll put the boat that we've lived on for the past 32 years on the open market. I'll more likely be vetting the potential new owner that needs a spacious, mediocre performing shoal draft coastal cruiser, maybe a young family that could erase the marks we put on our mast showing the growth of our two children and replace them with their own. I can let my ketch go, but I'd like to foster a heritage. I'm looking forward to sharing the strong and weak points, all the details and challenges. I can't just take what I've been committed to for more than half my life and pass it to a broker.

......... I know,- silly and sentimental.

Spoken like a true sailor.
Old 02-12-2016, 13:35   #29

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Being a mechanic is a great help but how are you as a finish carpenter? Sounds like you will need those skills to get her looking good. Parts and marine supplies are expensive so you will need a reasonable income to get her into shape. Plan on a year or more on a ramen diet while you work on her.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 13:51   #30

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Bustylady
You got the real inspiration !

However...
Start living onboard as soon as you can
You must keep working while refitting her, and it will take 2years at least
Then, you must be a temporary resident in order to work without spending time to seek out for work! Follow Boatman61 advice!

I am a mechanical engineer, yet l definitely need a woman like you onboard, for long, for good (please consider...)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard