Yes I'd buy freshly made cookie dough and others 0 0%
No! Fresh baked goods aren't worth my money 4 28.57%
No! cookie dough and other premixed goods are not my thing 9 64.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 11:46   #16

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Ideas to help extend(fund) our voyage

We have a lot of folks bring us free cookies. Fresh baked bread is always welcome and something we keep an eye out for.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 12:02   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Isn't there a boat that does exactly this but makes pizza? From what I recall they went all out and did extensive remodelling to jam in a bigger galley
Old 17-08-2015, 13:16   #18

Boat: Vancouver 27

To the OP,

We are a lucky generation of spritzels in that it's never been easier to make a living remotely. Maybe some kind of online business around the gf's love of things culinary? Or a more traditional small web dev biz with clients based in the US. Easy to make money in a foreign country when it's online. If client-based, build the network before setting out.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 13:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
To the OP,

We are a lucky generation of spritzels in that it's never been easier to make a living remotely. Maybe some kind of online business around the gf's love of things culinary? Or a more traditional small web dev biz with clients based in the US. Easy to make money in a foreign country when it's online. If client-based, build the network before setting out.
That's what I did. It's truly the golden age of online business, and having never-ending clientele is key. Sit at anchor while clients pay PDF invoices to a foreign bank account. Gotta love the Net!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 15:13   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
That's what I did. It's truly the golden age of online business, and having never-ending clientele is key. Sit at anchor while clients pay PDF invoices to a foreign bank account. Gotta love the Net!
If USA, just be sure you declare that foreign bank account. The new FATCA laws have some pretty ugly teeth. A friend of mine is currently in discussions with the IRS over the approximately $500K in penalties they have leavied for undeclared foreign assets. Ouch.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 15:45   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If USA, just be sure you declare that foreign bank account. The new FATCA laws have some pretty ugly teeth. A friend of mine is currently in discussions with the IRS over the approximately $500K in penalties they have leavied for undeclared foreign assets. Ouch.
Well, you know what they say. Keep the champagne, lingerie, and firearms below board, the business, above.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:34   #22

Just came back from a cruise in Croatia (in the Med)...in all the bay, every morning, and every time a boat arrives there was a man with a boau full of vegetables, fruit, liquor, wines, home made cackes, and so on...at a very very extremely expensive price...and even if you don't buy nothing you can give him your rubbish for just a pair of euro ( he accept euro-usd, whatever is money, obviously no recipt for nothing...no taxes...)
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:19   #23

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The better idea to make money while cruising may be for both of you to learn to dive and offer bottom cleaning and zinc replacements. Go to any harbor/mooring location and you would find at least some boats that need this task done.
I know nothing about cruising life except what I've read but this idea sounds more feasible to me.

Floating bakery sounds like a lot of work that might not make any bank. I used to have my own soap making business and I did very well. I sold luxury soap at a steep price but I had to turn away orders. The reason is that despite my high "profit" margin, I was working for a slaves wage. After overhead, my actual profit, while big in numbers, paid me something like 60 cents an hour. Just like soap, you have to sell a heck of a lot of bread to turn a profit. Factor in the inability to actually store adequate supplies, in sufficient quantity, to lower your overhead, and you are baking bread for others without return.

Certainly if you buy an actual bakery, now you are not cruising, you are running a business.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun