Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 16:23   #1

I need help planning the future.

So I need some help planning out the next 10 years.
I fell in love with sailing. Two years ago I bought a 27 foot loop and keep it in a lake in Illinois. A few months ago I went to Florida and got my AFA 104 and I’m planning to buy abigger boat to improve my blue water skills for retirement. I will have three in one month. For one month periods per year over the next 10 years. I live in Missouri. I’m trying to figure out a good place, and islands or somewhere in the gulf that I can fly down for two weeks And sail.

I’m looking for a place that would be easy to reach. The mooring fees should be reasonably priced. Can I leave it in a marina outside of the United States? Is that too complicated? If so, what country would you suggest? Bahamas? Mexico is convenient from Missouri. Does anybody know if Porter by Arta, which has direct flights from St. Louis, with that be good? Sailing in the sea of Cortez sounds like not a bad place to go.

Any thoughts or musings would be helpful.

Elan
CapnElan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 18:48   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: I need help planning the future.

My idea is a bluewater-capable boat small enough to (barely) trailer without getting special permits.

Narrow beam is the limiting factor.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 16:08   #3

I was thinking of buying something in the range of 36 feet and just leaving it in the marina.
CapnElan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 17:13   #4

Boat: MacGregor 26

I hve been pondering this also. In Indiana though. I think i’d Try to be near lauderdale or somewhere. Cheap flights. Plenty of docks available. Quick run to Bahamas or keys.

Have you looked at fractional ownership? Maybe buy half or a third share of a boat at a marina with professional upkeep until you can retire and go full time
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 19:52   #5

Boat: Bayliner 3870 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
Have you looked at fractional ownership? Maybe buy half or a third share of a boat at a marina with professional upkeep until you can retire and go full time
I wasn't on the water so much last year and have been considering this myself Hoosierdoc. That way I can spend time on a nicer boat too.

My biggest concern with fractional is the lack of flexibility - if I want to take it for a month but someone else does too. It must end up difficult to manage as everyone wants it in the best months.
tackleandtax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 20:36   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27

One issue with keeping a cruising boat in a remote locale and visiting only occasionally is the time it takes to commission and decommission before and after each cruise. The more systems and the bigger the size, the more effort. We've been wintering onboard, leapfrogging the boat in the tropics the last couple years, and we expect 4-5 days on each end of the trip, barring any major issues. You get better with each pass, but something to keep in mind!

For two week stints a couple times a year, fractional ownership or chartering would look pretty appealing to me. That way, you can spend your time actually sailing and also experience different boats, thus honing in on the boat you want to buy when the times comes.

Just my two cents
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 20:40   #7

Boat: Bayliner 3870 39ft

Thats a good point laika, I didn't think of it that way.

For those of us with no specific home location, is there a particular country that is best for fractional ownership? I'm guessing Panama may be worth a look..?
tackleandtax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 20:50   #8

Your original post is confusing. Are you saying you will spend one month a year on the boat? If so, IMHO it will be cheaper, less work, and less stressful to charter for a month a year.

When you are a year or two from retirement you can buy the boat. By then you will make a better choice due to your increased experience.

It will also let you try a large number of different cruising locations.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:15   #9

Interesting discussion - so I'm curious, from those who would know rough estimates...

What would be the $ range on chartering a boat as described for a month? (+ the benefit of a different location, different boat every year if you want).

What would be the annual depreciation on the boat that was bought? (10% is my rough guess). Add maintenance & storage on top.
bertusg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertusg View Post
Interesting discussion - so I'm curious, from those who would know rough estimates...

What would be the $ range on chartering a boat as described for a month? (+ the benefit of a different location, different boat every year if you want).

What would be the annual depreciation on the boat that was bought? (10% is my rough guess). Add maintenance & storage on top.
For chartering a ~40-foot monohull for a month, I would plan on $12K-$16K a year for everything except airfare.

If I were to buy and keep a ~40-foot monohull, I would plan on $15K - $25K a year for everything except purchase price, depreciation, and airfare.

Depreciation depends on what you buy and how well you take care of it. Depreciation on a brand new boat will be much higher than on a 30-year-old boat. For an older boat (say over 30 years) depreciation is near zero if you keep it in the same condition or better than you bought it. From 20-30 years I would guess normal depreciation is around 2-3% a year if you keep it in the same condition or better than you bought it. For any older boat, depreciation costs will be dwarfed by maintenance costs.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:59   #11

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnElan View Post
. I live in Missouri.

Elan
Where are you in Missouri? and where do you sail?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 22:02   #12

Maybe you are the kind of person.
Owning a charter boat in a charter fleet works for.
By a 36ft charter boat.
Use your owner time once per year.
Whken it’s done with chartering. You have a boat to retire on.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 06:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
By a 36ft charter boat.
This is interesting advice.
NECruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 08:34   #14

Boat: MacGregor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
By a 36ft charter boat.
This only makes financial sense to me if you maximize owner weeks for charter. Otherwise you take the brunt of depreciation, paid a 25% deposit, and then get a balloon payment for 50% of the new value of a boat to buy a 5-year old boat out of a charter fleet.

To me it only makes sense to do that if you are planning to charter 8 weeks a year
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:06   #15

Just an idea relative to good, cheap places to keep your boat -

Ft. Lauderdale, FL is the Venice of the west because of the massive canal systems with thousands of homes on canals. Many of these homes have a dock and water access but no boat. Many of the home owners rent out their docks to others for their boats. I did this a number of years ago with the Stevens 47 I owned at the time. I found via Craigslist and older couple with a large dock with shore power and facilities and for $500 per month all in I kept my boat there. WAY cheaper than any of the marinas and the entire arrangement worked out great. Might be something to consider - smaller boat would have lots more dock options and be cheaper.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote