Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2021, 19:04   #31

Re: How to buy a craigslist boat and not get ripped off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin View Post
By spending $500 on books. Being totally prepared to be a slave to the needs of your boat.

The insurance thing people mentioned is a real bear nowwadays. Progressive will insure a boat on agreed value up to 60k without a survey. They don’t allow live aboards.... which they consider cruisers.

Geiko/BoatUS will.. but they won’t insure a boat over 40 years old.

If you have 45k cash... probably a fine plan. Just be careful. A single thing majorly wrong with a boat could spell the end of all of that money in a hurry. As someone else broke down some of the prices for things earlier. There are cheap ways that work well, and not all expensive ways to solve a problem are the best way.

A removed real deck is usually from leaks and the whole deck could be rotten to crap. I would budget new awlgrip paint and lots of yard storage time at a diy yard. If you can find one around there. They’re kind of rare.

Properly you’d have a mechanical, structural, rigging, and electrical survey, take the sails to a loft for evaluation etc. The cost of all of those surveys adds up quickly. In the end, go be self sufficient you’ll likely need to be all of those things just a little bit, so it doesn’t hurt to at least have books on Diesel engine repair, sailmaking, rigging, glass repair and maintenance etc.

I think though, if you are truly tenacious and willing sacrifice everything - few things will stop you from achieving your goal. Watch videos. Inform yourself. Read books. Save money. Maybe you’ve done all this stuff. If you feel like you’re there, be confident and boldly go forth. Even if you buy a shipwreck it’s probably not going to be the worst decision you make in your life. Some really good advise here by others. Be well aware of your limitations, but as long as you’re ready to learn - chase your dreams. Maybe not with this boat. Don’t obsess over a single boat until it’s yours. It is just another vehicle for you to use in pursuit of your dreams after all. If it’s a vehicle that you know will enable your dreams and it’s worth it to you, that’s all that matters. Just be sure you know what ‘worth it’ entails before you start your journey.
Excellent advice, clearly from experience. Thank you
PatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 19:18   #32

As it stands, I'll probably walk from this boat until I can get the logistics of the sale worked into my favor. This one actually offers me the possibility of having the boat waiting and ready for me when I get there and available to live on as opposed to having to find a place to live while shopping for a boat which will be money down the drain. Still bit on the fence but, the long distance purchase is not for the faint of heart. I really like the boat and believe it would be worth sinking 20-25k into.
Old 12-05-2021, 19:22   #33

I guess I should mention that the goal of the boat is to eventually sail to Australia where my sister lives and this boat is totally capable of that in good condition.
Old 12-05-2021, 19:39   #34

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDog View Post
I guess I should mention that the goal of the boat is to eventually sail to Australia where my sister lives and this boat is totally capable of that in good condition.
Why Florida then? I would think somewhere around Peru would be the logical jump off place.

I would have no qualms taking a PSC Dana 24 solo to Aus from California via the trade winds. No need for a 43’ boat? Unless you want room for others there too?

Have you looked at boats around you like this one (would inspect the rig pretty well) https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...317503966.html

Or this one (I’d be looking to replace the upholstery and do bright work on) https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...320105724.html
Old 12-05-2021, 20:16   #35

Great points, again. I'm pretty sure I have looked at every sailboat in my budget the whole world wide.I am in the mountains of So Cal but, West Coast sailing seems a bad starting place for me. I need to be in a place where I can get my bearings and get to know the boat. Florida has tons of resources and great beginner sailing grounds. I'm in no hurry, once I leave the Soviet States of America.I've looked at boats in Panama and Malaysia and it's not out of the question. My logic is, this boat has bones and is worth putting money into vs. a ready to go Hunter 34 that will not get the job done.
Old 12-05-2021, 20:24   #36

Where in Fl is the boat? What is it? There are many helpful folks on this forum who might take a look at it for you for the price of a couple of beers, before you spend the time and money to fly to it. And an in the water survey by a qualified professional might be money better spent ( and possibility less money ) and tell you more about the boat than you would know after seeing it in person.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 20:31   #37

It's in the sticks in NW Florida. 1982 Pan O Brewer 43 pilothouse cutter. Hopefully no-one yanks it out from under, but that's what it is. Planning on flying out Saturday to get eyes on her.
Old 12-05-2021, 20:38   #38

Quote:
Great points, again. I'm pretty sure I have looked at every sailboat in my budget the whole world wide.I am in the mountains of So Cal but, West Coast sailing seems a bad starting place for me. I need to be in a place where I can get my bearings and get to know the boat. Florida has tons of resources and great begin sailing grounds. I'm in no hurry, once I leave the Soviet States of America.I've looked at boats in Panama and Malaysia and it's not out of the question. My logic is, this boat has bones and is worth putting money into vs. a ready to go Hunter 34 that will not get the job done.
Puget sound is really good. Here boats don’t get burnt by the sun. The value normally reflects that. I suspect more rot issues if it’s not been taken care of. Cold water so not much for swimming.

I’ve been thru that phase. It’s kind of funny. With the boat we ended up with my wife was like it’s time to buy a boat. I said alright I’ve got boats from Florida to Seattle I’d like to look at. She said nope. You’ll have to make due with what’s right here. So, we looked at all the boats in our town and bought one.... Is it the perfect boat? No. Nicest boat I’ve owned though.

I tell yah what. Theory is one thing. In the end probably most boats - including that hunter would get you there with the right planning.

I’ll give you the same advise I give everyone on learning to sail. The best way I’m aware of is read a book on sailing. Just one good one. Then go out for a season racing beer can races. Racers know how to sail better than some instructors and don’t mind yelling at you if you screw up. Unlike most instructors.

They’re a really friendly bunch most of the time and will buy you a beer for the help racing.... even if you don’t know a head from a halyard. Do that over the summer, buy a boat in the fall, fix it all winter and leave next summer?

You can see from the picture. A mile of teak. “A maintenance nightmare.” It’s ok. We’re willing to put in the work. We know how or can learn. We didn’t have much in the bank. That was ok, loans work too even if other people think it’s dumb. Things are going to cost a lot of money. It’s worth it. Sailing is my joy and peace. Without a place on the water that I can be alone with just the people I want to bring along... I would not be a happy camper. Unfortunately my wife wouldn’t settle for just any boat, so we had to spend more money. I’m fine with that. I mean at this rate, inflation is probably exceeding the interest on the loan anyway and payments are cheaper than rent. You know... it works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A155A452-C89D-441E-BE01-48B43F3194D6.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	238304   Click image for larger version

Name:	105040CE-B531-4137-8CB8-6930DD8CDF40.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	238305  

Name:	13353252-33A2-485C-B78F-D537B9E102BF.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	238306  
Old 12-05-2021, 20:39   #39

Just a dream and the wind to carry me
And soon I will be free
Old 12-05-2021, 20:47   #40

Quote:
It's in the sticks in NW Florida. 1982 Pan O Brewer 43 pilothouse cutter. Hopefully no-one yanks it out from under, but that's what it is. Planning on flying out Saturday to get eyes on her.
Interesting music setup I’m curious to hear about how it goes.
Old 12-05-2021, 21:05   #41

I'm a musician and planning on recording as I go so, it's perfect lol
Old 12-05-2021, 21:33   #42

Quote:
I'm a musician and planning on recording as I go so, it's perfect lol
You know he probably did that. Ask what kind of wood he used. The trim details bode somewhat well, shows some attention to detail there.

If he used a proper marine lumber - of which there are many, or marine plywood with a veneer then I would trust the guy a bit more.

Though the installation is not flawless in design. So, ask what other stuff he has personally done to the boat in terms of changing things not maintenance(ever) or paid to have done recently.

Being that you’re looking at it from an owner ask “why?” at least a couple of times where things look different than what you may expect. You’ll get a quick feel for someone asking why.

If you do any legal contract type stuff upon leaving make sure to bring 2 copies with blanks for price and such. All my previous advise still holds... but if you’re going to check it out. It’s sometimes better to make a mistake that you probably won’t regret for too long than wonder what if the rest of your life or regret not making any moves. So may as well be prepared for that.

If financing is involved checking with insurance beforehand would be a great idea. If you are serious about any boats in Virginia or the northern Puget Sound I can give them a look. It’s probably easier to convert a nav station or spare state room into a recording studio than to fix a squishy deck. Something to keep in mind perhaps.
Old 12-05-2021, 21:53   #43

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, I truly appreciate it. Right off the bat I know the boat needs some standing rigging replaced, the flush deck had the teak removed and needs paint (which means deck repair), 1 of 2 fuel tanks has been emptied for repair, and the boat is in the water with no way to haul out anytime soon (solid core fb hull). Got the price to 22k and it's a 43 foot boat with the perfect layout and location for my plans. I am planning on project and not afraid of the work, just the costs of material etc. Seller is insisting on non-refundable deposit after inspection/agreement to purchase as he says he has another buyer lined up. I can keep the boat at the dock where it is until I locate to a yard for bottom work. Man, I'm already overwhelmed.
Take the "I've got another buyer lined up" with a grain of salt. Maybe he does; probably he doesn't. The advice for the deposit to go into escrow until all the conditions of sale are met (survey, etc.) are met is very good advice. Chances are that if you give the seller the deposit, then try to get it back because the survey found something serious, you won't get it back.

Or maybe the boat is such a good deal and such a perfect layout for the lifestyle you wish to share with her that you can afford to gamble $5000 on her.

You say you want to live aboard and you say the boat can stay where she is. Those two may be incompatible. The current marina may not allow liveaboards or any more liveaboards. If you want to live aboard, make sure you have a berth available that will let you do that - and, in some areas, those can be extremely difficult to find.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 03:46   #44

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
As it stands, I'll probably walk from this boat until I can get the logistics of the sale worked into my favor. This one actually offers me the possibility of having the boat waiting and ready for me when I get there and available to live on as opposed to having to find a place to live while shopping for a boat which will be money down the drain. Still bit on the fence but, the long distance purchase is not for the faint of heart. I really like the boat and believe it would be worth sinking 20-25k into.
First you don't know if you like the boat or not if you haven't seen it in person.

I happened to look at a boat a couple weeks ago that was near another boat that I had been considering for months.

They were both junk, and the second boat the one I was considering it's asking price was $19,800. I wouldn't have given him $2,000 which btw is what I paid for my boat.

Some of the pictures must have been months/years old.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 04:00   #45

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Does that mean near Pensacola, FL?

If so, it gets extremely hot there.

Does the boat have Air Conditioning?

Also, when I lived in Pensacola, we had around 8-9 hurricanes one of which had a surge of anywhere from 14'-18'. That was Ivan in 2004.

It took out the I-10 bridge and destroyed every boat in a hurricane hole that had been a good spot up until then. An entire floating dock was lifted over it's pilings and then took out the anchored boats like a gigantic bowling ball.

Luckily it hit in mid September because we had no power for about 2 weeks. Water was bad also so you could only drink bottled water and there was a curfew from 4pm to 8am enforced by police and National Guard.

You'll need to plan for where you will go should a hurricane approach especially a strong one. Ivan was a Cat 5 but when it hit was about a 3/4 around 140 knot winds and lots of tornadoes plus the large surge.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2018/...se/1686519002/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ivan track.gif
Views:	47
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	238322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Navy Base Marina.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	238323