Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 18:05   #61

Boat: 1972 Morgan OI
Send a message via Skype™ to aireus01
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblowes
Everyone think people who own boats are simply rich.

Me, while I am most happy sailing I am also happy up to my armpits in a vacuflush issue. Its awesome so many others are too.
Too bad you don't live closer. My husband is/was a tec for vacuflush. He put ours in both heads with 18 gallon tanks.
aireus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 18:54   #62

Boat: Lafitte 44
Re: How Did You Get Your Boat..

[QUOTE=Randyonr3;929815]Had a kid walk up to me last week, I say kid, he was about 25, and mentioned that I was "LUCKY" to have the boat I did and traveling the way my wife and I do..........
Got me to thinking about it and, Dont see any luck to it...QUOTE]

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Other have told me how "lucky" I am. I watch these same people look at nothing but the negative in their life and feed on it, while I refuse to. I bust my butt. Yes I have benifited from companies I worked at doing well, but part of that company doing well was me working 65+ hour weeks. Not luck, WORK.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:26   #63
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: How Did You Get Your Boat ?

Xeon, some people bust their butt 80 hours a week, not just 65, and every time they get ahead, something else happens. The EPA regulates them out of existance, or the IRS changes bases and their industry becomes a ghost town (all kinds of "contractors" died in the 90's when the IRS got strict about employee-vs-contractor-versus-temp agency firewall issues) or your industry gets globalized to some two buck a day country.

Sure, if you're smart enough you may anticipate and dodge those bullets. Then someone runs a red light and puts you in the hospital for six months, or you have other medical i$$ues. Or your next door neighbor has a cooking fire, oops, you did insure everything you own, right?

Hard work, skill, natural talent (docotr, will i ever play the violin again?) all well and good, but you still need some LUCK in order to get ahead in this world.

Well, either luck, aka karma, or an eyepatch, pussycat, and evil empire of minions to go out and conquer with.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:59   #64

Boat: Lafitte 44

If i had my way I would go with the last approach, I own an eyepatch and a cat, working on the minions.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57   #65

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

HS,

How do you define when it's luck that is required, or just proper planning.

For somethings, like the lottery of birth, I'd argue that luck is unquestionably required. Being born to a family in sub-Sahara Africa is difficult for anyone, regardless of how talented and hard working they might be. Or being born with a mental problem, like retardation or autism is hard to overcome. Or for that matter, being struck by the first lightening bolt on a clear day.

For other things, I'd argue that it has very little to do with luck, and much more to do with proper planning. Things like your neighbors house catching on fire, you can plan for and put in prevention and mitigation measures. Things like fire breaks, fire departments, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, insurance, and all the rest. For cars, there are driving techniques, and vehicles that have a much better chance at allowing you to survive than others. For many types of risk in the developed world, there are mitigation and prevention measures that help. Sometimes is as simple as don't go dancing in the middle of a thunderstorm to avoid getting struck by lightening.

Anyone with an able body, born in a developed country has already won the lottery and should need very little luck to be successful. From there it's mostly planning and preparation.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06   #66
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Viribus-
"How do you define when it's luck that is required, or just proper planning."
I don't. It was Napolean who said something about he'd rather have a lucky general than a smart one.

Planning certainly helps. But luck trumps all. Fire extinguishers, seat belts, life rafts...and then who was it, Aeschylus? Who actually got killed by a passing bird dropping a tortoise on his shiny bald head, mistaking it for rock?

You actually CAN buy insurance that includes that specific problem these days, but you may have also heard a certain nautical phrase (minors and gentlefolk please leave the room now, there are sailors present) that goes "**** happens".

IIRC in the last two years, two fairly large sailboats have had whales jump on them. Whale 1, Boat 0. Fast game set and match. Htf do you prepare for that??

It doesn't matter how prepared you are, how strong you are, how well-stocked or talented you may be. The ocean is bigger, the world is bigger, and mother nature plays with loaded dice. Luck trumps all.

Although, knowing how to count the cards and which games pay off in Vegas can really help while you're waiting for the luck to kick in. That's where the "fate favors the prepared" comes in.

And wear your hard hat while in tortoise infested areas.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 16:34   #67

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I work hard every day. I Save as much as I can. I have an investment account. I do a lot of my own boat repair.(And trust me my boat needs it) I only order off the dollar menu at lunch time. I don't buy new cars, trucks, houses, or tools. I buy used and buy good name brands. Big lots, pawn shops,Discount markets, and thrift stores are my stomping grounds. I live on my boat and pay little to tie it up at the dock. Water and Electric are included. (Not so at the next marina down the road)
Before I buy anything I ask do I really need this? And if I think I do I find it as reasonably priced as I can find it.
I bought my 1972 conyplex contest 33 for 2800 dollars off a charity. It is a blue water boat that needs a lot of elbow grease, paint, and fundamental repairs and upgrades. It wasn't luck it was a good deal I looked for and took advantage of. You make your own breaks in this country. I am master of my own destiny, captain of my own ship and loving every minute of it.
Old 08-05-2012, 22:04   #68

Boat: 33ft sloop

Very good, I follow your path almost in a same way. Re your Contest 33, check particularly the keelbolts consequently the keel/hull connection!
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04   #69

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI
Re: How Did You Get Your Boat..

Are you in Key West now?
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:26   #70

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Planning can improve your luck. I've found the harder, and smarter I work the luckier I get. Attitude also makes a difference, I've had some bad luck, but planning mitigated the effects.

There may be no amount a planning that stops a meteorite, but good life insurance means that your heirs will get lucky.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 17:58   #71

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Very good, I follow your path almost in a same way. Re your Contest 33, check particularly the keelbolts consequently the keel/hull connection!

I have tried to find them but they seem to be covered with cement. I wish it was as easy as just lifting the sole and having a look.